Top 10 theories going into Oathbringer

bdoble97

40 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

There's the big mega-theory about the Rosharan Afterlife, that I'm hoping will get some love in this book. The spren we've really spent time with, like Syl and Pattern, both have lost memories when coming over from the other side. With Dalinar and the Stormfather (who is himself partly comprised of Honor's Cognitive Shadow), I'm hoping we'll get some juicy info about what's actually going on with the system as a whole.

I'm hoping that Bridge Four will pretty much all be Windrunners. I think Windrunners are a very structured order (with ranks and what not), and that Kaladin has been building his whole Order through his training. They might be squires now, but they might be able to 'upgrade' from squires to Radiants proper, and them the other bridgemen that Dalinar rescued from Sadeas could stay as squires. (Or work towards Radiants in their own right.)

Are you saying tge spren may be sone type of ghost. And shadesmar is sone type of afterlife?

17 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

Are you saying tge spren may be sone type of ghost. And shadesmar is sone type of afterlife?

No, I'm saying that the spren we've seen aren't knowledgeable enough to talk about anything important. But elsewhere in the cosmere, we've seen people stick around as Cognitive Shadows (what passes for ghosts in the cosmere) when they were tied to a sufficient amount of Investiture. There might be something going on that makes everyone on Roshar stick around as a Cognitive Shadow, or maybe just the Radiants, which is the original meaning their mythologies of the Tranquiline Halls were built from. Syl and Pattern aren't in a position to know any of that... but the Stormfather would be.

2 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

No, I'm saying that the spren we've seen aren't knowledgeable enough to talk about anything important. But elsewhere in the cosmere, we've seen people stick around as Cognitive Shadows (what passes for ghosts in the cosmere) when they were tied to a sufficient amount of Investiture. There might be something going on that makes everyone on Roshar stick around as a Cognitive Shadow, or maybe just the Radiants, which is the original meaning their mythologies of the Tranquiline Halls were built from. Syl and Pattern aren't in a position to know any of that... but the Stormfather would be.

O man just think if  Gavlinar came back and was pissed at Dalinar.  

Spoiler

But Kessiler don't know how to spell his name correctly sorry was never able to talk to  anyone other than the two vessels of The Shard in mistborn correct?

18 hours ago, SLNC said:

Daring thesis. Considering that is exactly what the cover text of Oathbringer says. :P

Well... Huh... I had to pick at least one having 100% chances of happening :ph34r: and I'll admit lacking imagination as to what Shallan might be doing, precisely within this book :ph34r:

10 hours ago, Rawrbert said:

4 - Kaladin, or another Radiant, progresses far enough in the ideals to be able to create their own Shardplate, and my prediction is that it'll be hardened/crystallised Stormlight, an upgrade of their ability to retain Stormlight escaping through their pores.

I would personally prefer if the first Radiant to obtain Plate weren't Kaladin. It would make a nice change if he weren't always the one doing the interesting stuff. I would go with either Jasnah or Shallan getting Plate first.

8 minutes ago, maxal said:

I would personally prefer if the first Radiant to obtain Plate weren't Kaladin. It would make a nice change if he weren't always the one doing the interesting stuff. I would go with either Jasnah or Shallan getting Plate first.

Well, Shallan is at the equivalent of the fourth Oath. 

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1111#4

TGANCHERO

How many oaths can a Radiant swear?

BRANDON SANDERSON

There is an upper-limit/threshold to the number of oaths a Radiant may make. By the end of WoR, Shallan is a step higher than Kaladin.

So if Shallan is going to go for Plate at all, I'd expect her (or Jasnah, as she's had ivory for a while) to get there before Kaladin. 

10 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Well, Shallan is at the equivalent of the fourth Oath. 

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1111#4

So if Shallan is going to go for Plate at all, I'd expect her (or Jasnah, as she's had ivory for a while) to get there before Kaladin. 

I say Jasnah gets plate first like you said she has been with Ivory longer then any one els has been with thier spren. 

Spoiler

I know patern has been around Shallan ever since she was a little kid but that can't really count for gaining Knowledge from the spread because he was locked away from her for so long. 

I suspect Shallan won't choose to have it, but no real basis for that

QUESTION

Did all orders of Knights Radiants use Shardplate?

BRANDON SANDERSON

It was available to all of them, and they could (all) use it. Many Knights (not Orders) chose not to. There were Knights who were not soldiers and had not interest in wearing Shardplate.

Just now, Calderis said:

@Extesian that's why I worded it the way I did. I also suspect she won't. 

I don't see plate lending itself well to stealth and illusion. 

I know, your wording was specific and I agree with the reasoning. Just wanted to provide the WoB for anyone who doesn't know :)

Just now, Extesian said:

I know, your wording was specific and I agree with the reasoning. Just wanted to provide the WoB for anyone who doesn't know :)

I think I lurked here way too long before I became active. I assume people know things.

Just now, The One Who Connects said:

This from the one who still goes "I haven't seen that WoB before."
I'm just as guilty of this, but still :P

So I expect people to know more than me. I think I've established my self esteem issues :P

I like a lot of these theories and I've never thought about if you could make a shardplate as well as a shardblade *smacks face at my own non-theoryness*. I HATE the idea of Dalinar murdering Shshshsh! He may not have the best past, but...no. I also like the idea of Kaladin not being in the last fight or at least not as the main fighter of that battle. He gets too much screen time. Watch as Jasnah saves the city! I want to see so much more out of Renarin. We don't know enough about him. What was his childhood like? What part of things happening is his power and which is from something else interfering?

I'm so bad at theorizing, but I always love your guys' stuff. Can't wait for Oathbringer! I've already told two people to come with me to the release party! November is SOOO close and SOOO far away. Errrrr!

2 minutes ago, Serce Forts said:

I want to see so much more out of Renarin. We don't know enough about him. What was his childhood like?

I expect to see some of young Adolin and Renarin throughout Dalinar's flashbacks. I have no idea which part of their respective childhood are considered important to Dalinar's character, but I would think it strange if none of his flashbacks were about his sons. I can't believe every single one of those flashbacks will be about Dalinar's relationship with Gavilar, so yeah, I do hope to see the boys when they were young. For instance, I would love to read what Dalinar's reaction was to becoming a father, to learning he has a first born son: I am really curious to see how the man I have read in The Thrill would react. Can he love the child? Can Dalinar love someone other than Navani when guilt isn't forcing him to? These are questions I currently have.

18 minutes ago, Serce Forts said:

I like a lot of these theories and I've never thought about if you could make a shardplate as well as a shardblade *smacks face at my own non-theoryness*. I HATE the idea of Dalinar murdering Shshshsh! He may not have the best past, but...no. I also like the idea of Kaladin not being in the last fight or at least not as the main fighter of that battle. He gets too much screen time. Watch as Jasnah saves the city! I want to see so much more out of Renarin. We don't know enough about him. What was his childhood like? What part of things happening is his power and which is from something else interfering?

I'm so bad at theorizing, but I always love your guys' stuff. Can't wait for Oathbringer! I've already told two people to come with me to the release party! November is SOOO close and SOOO far away. Errrrr!

I know how much would it suck if Dalinar killed shshshsh. I would love to see Jasnah be like this is how its done to Kaladin and just own everyone haha. 

10 minutes ago, maxal said:

I expect to see some of young Adolin and Renarin throughout Dalinar's flashbacks. I have no idea which part of their respective childhood are considered important to Dalinar's character, but I would think it strange if none of his flashbacks were about his sons. I can't believe every single one of those flashbacks will be about Dalinar's relationship with Gavilar, so yeah, I do hope to see the boys when they were young. For instance, I would love to read what Dalinar's reaction was to becoming a father, to learning he has a first born son: I am really curious to see how the man I have read in The Thrill would react. Can he love the child? Can Dalinar love someone other than Navani when guilt isn't forcing him to? These are questions I currently have.

That's a great point I never thought what his reaction would be other than excitement for having children. Makes me think about when i had my first kid 9 years ago whem I was 22. Kids chang you alot I wonder if we will see the difference in the Black Thorn within the flashbacks after he has his children. I know i changed a hell of alot hahaha

2 hours ago, Calderis said:

I don't think, that the length of the bond is crucial. Of all the known Radiants right now, Kaladin clearly has bonded for the shortest time and is progressing through his oaths at a high speed.

Edited by SLNC

1 minute ago, SLNC said:

I don't think, that the length of the bond is crucial. Of all the known Radiants right now, Kaladin clearly has bonded for the shortest time now and is progressing through his oaths at a high speed.

My whole point was she's an oath ahead of him, and has progressed forward two "oaths" in the same time frame as him. 

10 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

I'm hoping that Bridge Four will pretty much all be Windrunners. I think Windrunners are a very structured order (with ranks and what not), and that Kaladin has been building his whole Order through his training. They might be squires now, but they might be able to 'upgrade' from squires to Radiants proper, and them the other bridgemen that Dalinar rescued from Sadeas could stay as squires. (Or work towards Radiants in their own right.)

I think Lopen will level up for sure. Hope he has a spren as cheeky as he is. 

19 minutes ago, Calderis said:

My whole point was she's an oath ahead of him, and has progressed forward two "oaths" in the same time frame as him. 

I guess, that we'll see if she will find more truths in time.

11 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

I'm hoping that Bridge Four will pretty much all be Windrunners. I think Windrunners are a very structured order (with ranks and what not), and that Kaladin has been building his whole Order through his training. They might be squires now, but they might be able to 'upgrade' from squires to Radiants proper, and them the other bridgemen that Dalinar rescued from Sadeas could stay as squires.

IIRC squires even have a higher chance of being chosen for bonding by spren. I really hope to see Teft, Skar and, of course, the Lopen to become Windrunners. I also would like Rock to bond a spren, but I don't know if Unkalaki are able to form a Nahel bond, because of their worship of spren. Maybe they are reluctant to "use" them. But, of course, all baseless speculation.

Edited by SLNC

8 hours ago, Calderis said:

@Extesian that's why I worded it the way I did. I also suspect she won't. 

I don't see plate lending itself well to stealth and illusion. 

Well, she might be able to craft some sort of stealth plate. Since Radiants create the Plate, why can't they shape it into the form they want? 

I can see her wearing something lightweight, and which only covers the bare minimum and is designed to be flexible for ease of use.  

1 hour ago, TheLordRuler said:

Well, she might be able to craft some sort of stealth plate. Since Radiants create the Plate, why can't they shape it into the form they want? 

I can see her wearing something lightweight, and which only covers the bare minimum and is designed to be flexible for ease of use.  

Now we're getting into some dangerous NSFW territory :ph34r:

Vasher will accidentally use his Divine Breath to Awaken a cupcake.

Lift will eat said cupcake.

Lift transforms into Returned Awakener Edgedancer Lift.

Stormlight 4 and 5 are actually about a terrified Odium trying desperately to flee Roshar, ending up in the Scadrial system post Stormlight 5, not to invade, but to get the hell away.