Top 10 theories going into Oathbringer

bdoble97

4 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

I googled it, but I am misunderstanding the meaning of your sentence. Why are you saying Adolin is conflated POV character with a flashback character? That's the part I don't quite get.

Just now, maxal said:

I googled it, but I am misunderstanding the meaning of your sentence. Why are you saying Adolin is conflated POV character with a flashback character? That's the part I don't quite get.

I'm saying his(bdoble97) statement sounded like he conflated a PoV character with a Flashback Character. Hence, "I think Adolin is important, even though he's not a PoV."
I don't know a proper term for "used the wrong word," and it seemed more like he thought he used the right one(which I later learned is due to tiredness. Fair enough), so I used conflated.

4 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

I'm saying his(bdoble97) statement sounded like he conflated a PoV character with a Flashback Character. Hence, "I think Adolin is important, even though he's not a PoV."
I don't know a proper term for "used the wrong word," and it seemed more like he thought he used the right one(which I later learned is due to tiredness. Fair enough), so I used conflated.

Oh thanks. I thought you meant Brandon designed Adolin to be a conflated character and this was odd to me.

On 7/12/2017 at 5:45 AM, Toaster Retribution said:

Nope, they just have lightweight shardplate that covers the bare minimum :-D

Jokes aside, good question, I actually dont recall chainmail being mentioned in the books. 

I'm fairly certain chainmail is mentioned in WoR when Bridge Four is getting their uniforms. 

8 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

I'm misquoting a different WoB. We don't know if he has yet. However, we know that he can.

9. I'll plug my Lanceryn theory again, which would make Rysn another character who doesn't need to be a KR. I won't say that she won't become one, and Willshaper is a good pick, but I've gotten a bit jaded towards the "everybody and their mother becomes a KR" craze recently.
7. Vivienna and Adolin would be an interesting conversation. The moment when Adolin realizes just what that implies "Zahel" is could be great.
1. You have no idea how happy I am that someone else thinks the same way about his "actions."

That is gonna go one of 3 ways. Either they blame the Desolation on Dalinar and the KR, or they accept the help that they can get. Option 3 is both: they reject them, but then Amaram and Taln show up. The Herald of War himself showing up is gonna cause a stir either way, may as well let someone direct that stir.

I will, again, emphasize The One's Lanceryn theory. Again saying that Rysn riding in and saving the day on a great shell would be waaaaayyy cooler than her becoming a KR. Gotta have some awesome characters that don't have the "cool crutch" of being a KR. 

Edit: I may or may not have realized that there was a 5th page and totally ignored all comments on said page. 

Edited by Kered

7 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

I think Brandon has said that we will know whether or not he is real Taln by the end of book 3, so I'm basing it off that. Personally, I've never really seen reason to doubt Taln within the books. Brandon's "maybe"s and "are you sure?"s mean little.

You're probably thinking of the recent FAQ Friday where Brandon said the text will be clear about whether Taln is really Taln or not long before his book, he won't drag it out like he did in WoK Prime. But he doesn't say that will be confirmed in Oathbringer.

You may of course be thinking of pine I haven't seen :)

FB_IMG_1495235586484.jpg.8c3a162e958c163d0f7e7c56a661ef31.jpg

Just now, Extesian said:

really Taln or not long before his book,

Oh, his book... Never mind. I only remembered the "text will make it clear [..] fairly quickly who this person is" part. However, I remain in the He is Taln camp, but I'm expecting some sort of proviso attached to it, beyond just "madness."

3 minutes ago, Kered said:

Again saying that Rysn riding in and saving the day on a great shell would be waaaaayyy cooler than her becoming a KR. Gotta have some awesome characters that don't have the "cool crutch" of being a KR. 

I thank you for the support, but I have to give the original credit to Maxal for convincing me that characters don't need to be KR if they have a niche of their own. The case in point was Navani and her Fabrial-Tech Arsenal(having her show up decked out for the climax of Book 8 would be an interesting twist too) With the Lanceryn WoB, I found a niche for her to occupy, so I applied the idea to Rysn.

2 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

I thank you for the support, but I have to give the original credit to Maxal for convincing me that characters don't need to be KR if they have a niche of their own. The case in point was Navani and her Fabrial-Tech Arsenal(having her show up decked out for the climax of Book 8 would be an interesting twist too) With the Lanceryn WoB, I found a niche for her to occupy, so I applied the idea to Rysn.

I will say this in every thread it comes up in. 

She going to be riding a (until proven otherwise) flying, Stormlight sucking greatshell. 

She doesn't need surges or a blade. She doesn't need her legs to work again. 

She wins. 

1 minute ago, Calderis said:

(until proven otherwise) flying,

Oh good, it's not just me. Despite what we've seen with Chasmfiends and the Tai-Na, I still picture the Lanceryn as souring through the skies like a Skyeel, despite the logistics being... troublesome.

1 minute ago, Calderis said:

I will say this in every thread it comes up in. 

She going to be riding a (until proven otherwise) flying, Stormlight sucking greatshell. 

She doesn't need surges or a blade. She doesn't need her legs to work again. 

She wins. 

A Dr Strangelove-style suicide dive into Odium's perpendicularity with her mate Larky, one final adventure for old times, Rysn singing softly to Larky of the great Beyond while wielding Nightblood and wearing a suit of aluminum, until.. experience ends. 

6 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Oh good, it's not just me. Despite what we've seen with Chasmfiends and the Tai-Na, I still picture the Lanceryn as souring through the skies like a Skyeel, despite the logistics being... troublesome.

I picture them as much smaller than chasmfiends. being like a cross between an axehound and a dragonfly, and about 1.5 times the height of a Ryshadium, but quite a bit longer. 

4 minutes ago, Extesian said:

A Dr Strangelove-style suicide dive into Odium's perpendicularity with her mate Larky, one final adventure for old times, Rysn singing softly to Larky of the great Beyond while wielding Nightblood and wearing a suit of aluminum, until.. experience ends. 

Why do you break my brain? 

8 minutes ago, Extesian said:

This. This is amazing. I need this in my life.

1. Dalinar is the prime suspect for the murder of Sadeas, and Adolin struggles with his guilt and his protectiveness of his family, finally admitting his crimes and accepting the punishment in order to spare Dalinar. Adolin sees the shame in his father's eyes as he's led out of Urithiru to be exiled. In his absence, Dalinar comes to grips with it, and forgives Adolin, prodigal son style.

2. WoB says Kaladin's parents are alive, but may be in a less-than-optimal state. Kaladin arrives at Hearthstone too late to save the majority, only to find his father holed up with the rest of the refugees who finally (conveniently) got over their fears of medicinal practice. His mother may be unconscious. Roshone is dead, leaving a broken Laral in charge, who remembered Kaladin's father just in time to save most of the town. Kaladin's father can't speak to him after he find's out about Tien's death, leading to Kaladin not revealing his "status change" until absolutely necessary.

3. Kaladin takes the refugees with him to Kholinar, trying to figure out how to use the authority Dalinar gave him without his father finding out. Mom finally wakes up and catches Kaladin talking to Syl (who chose to show herself to her, because she know's what's good for Kaladin). This leads to complications, but his mother takes everything a lot better than his father.

4. Dalinar is mortally wounded, then healed by Renarin.

5. The Stormfather will finally be summoned as the biggest, most epic Shardblade, saving the day.

6. Hoid "educates" Jasnah.

7. Nale's change of heart leads him to confront Ishar, and many of the proto-Skybreakers side with Ishar instead, except Szeth.

8. Oathbringer (the sword) gains a new bearer.

9. Navani finds some new toys in Urithiru, leading to fantastic breakthroughs in fabrial technology. 

10. The Ghostbloods are actually not as bad as we've been lead to believe, and Shallan is forced to choose between Jasnah and her new family.

Some of those were random thoughts and some have been stewing in my head for a very long time. I'm probably wrong about them all, but I've put them down anyway to see if I'm right later.

1. Adolin becomes one of Kaladin's squires (I would laugh if this actually happened)

2. Szeth goes back and kills Taravangian

3. Kaladin goes back and can't find his parents, goes off on his own to find them and isn't around the other characters for most of the story

4. Vivenna was on Roshar but then left, will not appear but will be mentioned in the book

5. Jasnah and Hoid won't show up until like halfway through the book and then will make a miraculous entrance during some climactic part

6. Shallan will go to the purelake for some reason

7. One of the interludes will be set in Rall Elorim and then everyone in 17S will speculate about it a lot

8. Shallan will have to solve a mystery for the Ghostbloods (maybe that's why she'll go to the purelake). At least, someone play detective somewhere, Brandon loves writing detective stories

9. PARSHENDI CIVIL WAR!!!

10. Adolin will worldhop near the end of the book and won't be part of SA storyline anymore

Most of these are just me being dumb for the sake of amusement, so don't take them too seriously :P

1. Adolin gets insecure and keeps hiding his actions... Meets a nice girl
  2. Shallan and Kaladin work together and realize they like each other: they get together
  3. Lift travels to Alethkar (sometime) and smashes into Kaladin on a mission
  4. Brandon will be awesome and do his amazing stuff as usual so that we can have something deep enough to discuss for the next couple of years 
Edited by Sami

5 hours ago, Khyrindor said:

7. Nale's change of heart leads him to confront Ishar, and many of the proto-Skybreakers side with Ishar instead, except Szeth.

10. The Ghostbloods are actually not as bad as we've been lead to believe, and Shallan is forced to choose between Jasnah and her new family.

I love these two. Especially the Ghostbloods one. I think it would take the story to very interesting places (I also dont want Mraize to be all bad).

1) Kaladin will be awkward with his parents and Laral (or whatever his childhood crush's name was)

2) Adolin will actually awaken his Blade in Oathbringer (that's his arc for the book)

3) Eshonai will join the other Radiants

4) We will find out why Dalinar is actually a huge scumbag

5) A major battle with happen that involves Jasnah

6 hours ago, Khyrindor said:

1. Dalinar is the prime suspect for the murder of Sadeas, and Adolin struggles with his guilt and his protectiveness of his family, finally admitting his crimes and accepting the punishment in order to spare Dalinar. Adolin sees the shame in his father's eyes as he's led out of Urithiru to be exiled. In his absence, Dalinar comes to grips with it, and forgives Adolin, prodigal son style.

2. WoB says Kaladin's parents are alive, but may be in a less-than-optimal state. Kaladin arrives at Hearthstone too late to save the majority, only to find his father holed up with the rest of the refugees who finally (conveniently) got over their fears of medicinal practice. His mother may be unconscious. Roshone is dead, leaving a broken Laral in charge, who remembered Kaladin's father just in time to save most of the town. Kaladin's father can't speak to him after he find's out about Tien's death, leading to Kaladin not revealing his "status change" until absolutely necessary.

3. Kaladin takes the refugees with him to Kholinar, trying to figure out how to use the authority Dalinar gave him without his father finding out. Mom finally wakes up and catches Kaladin talking to Syl (who chose to show herself to her, because she know's what's good for Kaladin). This leads to complications, but his mother takes everything a lot better than his father.

5. The Stormfather will finally be summoned as the biggest, most epic Shardblade, saving the day.

6. Hoid "educates" Jasnah.

8. Oathbringer (the sword) gains a new bearer.

9. Navani finds some new toys in Urithiru, leading to fantastic breakthroughs in fabrial technology. 

Some of those were random thoughts and some have been stewing in my head for a very long time. I'm probably wrong about them all, but I've put them down anyway to see if I'm right later.

Dalinar being the prime suspect is a great idea. 

Love love the idea about Kaladin and his parents. I realy hope somthing like this happens now. 

Hoid and Jasanh interactions should be great. 

Navani finding new tec along with Shallan has to happen in my opinion

8 hours ago, Khyrindor said:

I would replace Dalinar by Adolin as Dalinar cannot actually be mortally wounded. He can heal himself with stormlight and if Renarin is near and has stormlight to heal his father, the he needs not to perform Regrowth, he can just give the spheres to his father. He is advanced enough he would heal on his own, not like the Stump. I always thought it would be Adolin who'd get mortally wounded because it would force Renarin to use his powers and it would force Dalinar to face his feelings for his eldest.

32 minutes ago, maxal said:

I would replace Dalinar by Adolin as Dalinar cannot actually be mortally wounded. He can heal himself with stormlight and if Renarin is near and has stormlight to heal his father, the he needs not to perform Regrowth, he can just give the spheres to his father. He is advanced enough he would heal on his own, not like the Stump. I always thought it would be Adolin who'd get mortally wounded because it would force Renarin to use his powers and it would force Dalinar to face his feelings for his eldest.

Always coming up with excellent points this would be such a pivotal plot point for the three of them. Dalinar realizing how much she loves his sons. Renarin seeing that he isn't worthless and truly can help the cause. And Adalin seeing that his younger brother may be more important than him

3 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

And Adalin seeing that his younger brother may be more important than him

I don't think important is the right word. 

Adolin is better than pretty much everyone when it comes to how he treats Renarin, but even he could use seeing that Renarin is useful beyond boosting his morale. 

I also think it is arguably more important to get those without powers engaged and involved than it is to focus solely on the Radiants.