Santhids and Greatshells

Taeshi Vei

9 hours ago, Jace21 said:

Voidspren is the term used in the books, by Pattern and Shallan I believe.

Desolationspren is a term we made up on the forum I think as it isnt in the books.

I prefer Voidspren personally, I think it is more accurate, but either work.

Well, from the books I gather that Voidbringers are a specific species that come during desolations. So, like Thunderclasts are creatures of desolations, but aren't Voidbringers. (Personally think Parshendi => Voidbringer). So, with that, I'd refer to Voidspren as the spren that Parshendi use. Like the stormform spren, or smokeform spren. While Desolationspren could refer to any spren that bonds to a desolation species. Which might also be called the 10 deaths. I'm still going through the books to get those terms straight.

So to recap: they are typically used interchangeably, but over time, it might become such that voidspren are a subgroup of desolationspren.

Edited by Lord Maelstrom

On 8/31/2017 at 11:35 PM, ILuvHats said:

By the way, are the terms Voidspren and Desolationspren synonymous, or is there a distinction between the two?

Depends on who you ask. For example:

@Lord Maelstrom considers Voidbringers to be exclusively Parshendi forms from bonding Voidspren. I personally consider 'Voidbringer' to be a blanket term for creatures of the Desolation, largely because "Odium's Army" doesn't sound as cool. To me: Thunderclasts would be Voidbringers, Stormform Parshendi would also be Voidbringers, etc..
Kinda like how cats, dogs, and humans are different species, but they would all be considered as "Earthlings."

So to actually answer your question, I have to agree with Maelstrom and say "Not yet"
Are they synonymous? We don't know yet.     Is there a distinction between the two? Not yet.

Well, thank you @The One Who Connects, and everyone else for answering my question.  I was expecting a simple one post answer and instead got a string of posts debating the topic.  So... yeah.  Voidspren = canonical term (with debated meaning as to how broad a term it is) and Desolationspren = fan-made term.  Got it.

On 9/2/2017 at 0:39 PM, The One Who Connects said:

Depends on who you ask. For example:

@Lord Maelstrom considers Voidbringers to be exclusively Parshendi forms from bonding Voidspren. I personally consider 'Voidbringer' to be a blanket term for creatures of the Desolation, largely because "Odium's Army" doesn't sound as cool. To me: Thunderclasts would be Voidbringers, Stormform Parshendi would also be Voidbringers, etc..
Kinda like how cats, dogs, and humans are different species, but they would all be considered as "Earthlings."

So to actually answer your question, I have to agree with Maelstrom and say "Not yet"
Are they synonymous? We don't know yet.     Is there a distinction between the two? Not yet.

I can see why you'd think that. Just that from the language of the books, as well as some of the WoB, it feels more like Voidbringers are a specific species. Maybe Parshendi, maybe not. Or maybe it really is all of the desolation species. Or 10 Deaths, or whatever. I figure we'll know more after Oathbringer.

• Chaos locked this topic