Power Sentences

Kered

So, this is another exercise my English Comp. professor came up with and has us practice every week on Friday. It's pretty simple. Sometimes a writers biggest weaknesses to place powerful, poetic sentences in their stories in order to cause max emotional impact to the reader. So, instead of writing whole stories around impact sentences, my professor has us just make individual impact sentences in order to get practice. I thought this would be cool concept to add on here and have peeps write their own impact sentences and read others. I'll start it off with a few of mine that I came up with for my finals paper. 

"I was a witness of the First Creation, child. I was on there on the day of no yesterday. I will be there on the day of no tomorrow".

"I am the totality of forces. I am the Creator, seer of all known, knower of all seen. Nothing came before, I was the First". 

"I am not a demon, boy. I am something your mind cannot conceive or comprehend. I am the first and last evil. Every being, every thought, every drop of hate and malice belongs to me. I am Ludax. I am the Primordial, shaper of evil as it is known by humans".

@Kered That first one is so good! That's a pretty cool professor by the way. I need to practice.

"Go ahead. Walk. You'll never get there. The world you dream of may be limitless and without boundaries; yet you will never know where you are, where you can stop; no victory for your struggles."

Edited by ryshadium90

2 hours ago, ryshadium90 said:

@Kered That first one is so good! That's a pretty cool professor by the way. I need to practice.

"Go ahead. Walk. You'll never get there. The world you dream of may be limitless and without boundaries; yet you will never know where you are, where you can stop; no victory for your struggles."

Thanks!

"The bones of the world shook when the tears of blood and fire poured down her face".

"Life, love and compassion were in her eyes, but death and madness were on her tongue".

"I wield creation and destruction in my hands as a solider holds his blades. I tread paths and know of things  the Gods fear, I am chaos unchecked and unchained".

Edited by Kered

22 hours ago, Nathrangking said:

"I am the king of a place which resides everywhere and nowhere. My power shatters worlds and forges entire realities in the blink of an eye.

The "I am the king of a place which resides everywhere and nowhere" line is epic. 

EDIT***

Sorry for the double post! Computer glitched up when I went to add a quote. 

Edited by Kered

WARNING: Might be offensive.

When the void became a canvas the lord abandoned us.

Every thread met the same end.

When all else fails and all that's left is faith it's just in time

And all I've known that lives outside it's just not worth the lines

When all's been said and all that's left is read between the lies

When all's been seen for certain; some say that's when reason dies

I've been trying something similar with poetry and found a balance by making intentionally terrible poetry alongside the overly gradiose;

Sternum

Gradiently dissipate
Gradually loose your state
Your mind your kind of thought
Yoke your head when it's taught
Unwind the lines tied intertwined
And find the thread that's not
Fasten to a windowframe and climb
Down to earth
Catch a glimpse of the plateau in time
To wind through words
Recall the fall in all its detail
The horizon blocks our vision
For all our talk of mountaintops
We've settled with the fishes
Concrete shoes and rebar bones
Neon tombs and three-barred tomes
Freon blood in crazy straw veins
Hearts of balled up cellophane
Skin of stretched out plastic bags
Muscles dried elastic bands
Pulp and sap and dust and resin
We have a hierarchy
Built on higher trees
We've found our peace in white noise
Vision in focus and straining our eyes
Beat the beasts with ignorance
And distance
Drummed with every hit efficient
Hunted in our reach
Starved out our backyards
Moved to the beaches
Over-fished and hopeless wished
For bottomless wells
And clear tells

U-Bend

Behold
The expanse
Try to
Keep it your pants
Flyin through
The Stratosphere
Cause these rhymes are
Just the baddest here
I am your all
And it tears you apart
Reaching for my toes
But they're a bit too far
Loving all my leavings
Shape them into hearts
String around your neck
Leaves it hovering at eye level
I'm the gargoyle
And you're just the shovel
The potato bug scuttling through cracks
I'm the golden scarab grown wings
With a thick thorax
I'm the crown on the king
You're a baby crowning
I'm what's left
You're a pleb
I'm your uncle
You're a muggle
Having tuggles
At my selfies
Your longing
Sustains me
Bologna
With mayonnaise
I'm the egg
You're hollandaise
You're the week
I'm holidays
I'm the roof
You're the chaise
I'm the cow
You're the cheese
I'm the big dog
You're the fleas
Sliced bread is dead
I'm the biggest thing
Since my head
I'm the cremhole
You're the toilet bowl
I'm the pipes
You're the fluid
I'm what's right
You're what you're doing
I'm twelve o' clock
You're a second hand stuck
I'm the pharaoh
You're a storm

Sorry this is so long, but as you can see I tried to fill both poems/ songs with power sentences and U-Bend came out beautifully. I didn't realize it would alter the cuss words. cremhole and storm were changed, maybe for the best.

Edited by Taravangian'sDayOff

@Taravangian'sDayOff I love how those all turned out! It kind of sounds like slam poetry. 

Staring me down is a silence. It's the horror that came from the things I've done; the caution at the things I will do; the helplessness at the things my hands carry out today.

Inspired by Rothfuss's silence of three parts. Frankly, that whole series is so full of power sentences. And I love it!

Edited by ryshadium90

I am not a good man. Perhaps once there was a time, but that time has long since passed. Everyday is a lie, an act I put on for those around me, an effort to forget the horrors I wrought. Please do not mistake this for kindness or mercy. I am a monster, a broken thing that hides behind a gentle mask.

It was a sound. No a visceral wave that rent apart the earth. It shook reality itself and changed the laws by which all lived. A king rose that day wearing a wreath of emerald fire and began a new era upon the earthen plain. 

Edited by Nathrangking

"Why do we fight? ...Once, I might have said we were fighting to protect the Light. Not this time. Maybe this time, there isn't any light left to defend. Maybe the sun doesn't come up tomorrow. Still, we will fight. We will fight—yes, even for the last, dim memory of that Light."

Edited by Lindel

• 2 months later...