Hoid Hoarding.

AerionBFII

Hi im quite new to the forum and i just wanted to make a place where i could gather information on Hoid where we could speculate about the cosmere and his world hopping. i have been scouring the forums looking for info on Hoid but have only been able to find tidbits that ask more question than answer them.

If there is alread a topic of this send me a link and i will delete this topic, thanks :)

Edited by WEZ313

Hoid is:

Yolenese

A casual trickster and master of stories

A world hopper and possibly time traveller

He has been seen using (yolenese?) light weaving.

WoB says he's a feruchemist

He often takes the role of a storyteller or jester(Wit, Imperial Fool, in Warbreaker) or a beggar (Mistborn, Elantris)

Apparently the most powerful non-shard in the Cosmere

Often turns up at plot-critical junctures.

AFAIK Lightweaving is Rosharian; also in Warbreaker Hoid suggests that he learned it on Roshar:

“Thank you,” Siri said quietly. “It was good of you to speak of it. Tell me, where did you learn such an . . . unusual method of storytelling?”

Hoid looked up, smiling. “I learned it many, many years ago from a man who didn’t know who he was, Your Majesty. It was a distant place where two lands meet and gods have died. But that is unimportant.”

(from here)

Hoid is:

Yolenese

A casual trickster and master of stories

A world hopper and possibly time traveller

WoB says he's a feruchemist

He often takes the role of a storyteller or jester(Wit, Imperial Fool, in Warbreaker) or a beggar (Mistborn, Elantris)

Apparently the most powerful non-shard in the Cosmere

Often turns up at plot-critical junctures.

AFAIK Lightweaving is Rosharian; also in Warbreaker Hoid suggests that he learned it on Roshar:

(from here)

There is a WoB somewhere that Hoid's Lightweaving was from Yolen. I'll try to find it.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Right, they wouldn't have any of the background. Thing is, some of the magic systems do cross worlds, and have before. And that has not happened obviously; you haven't really seen it. Right now Liar of Partinel [an unpublished book —ed] and Stormlight Archive share a magic system, because with the unifying theory of magic there's a certain number of things that magic can do, and there's a lot of different ones, but when they get similar they tend to work in the same way. So Lightweaving shows up in both books. I may change that for Liar of Partinel, but it's kind of integral to that book and it's kind of integral to Stormlight Archive right now too. This is one of the reasons why I had to decide to do either Dragonsteel or Stormlight Archive as the big epic.

Some of the magic systems have been discovered on different planets, and some of them do work. A lot of them don't, but some of them do. It depends on your spiritual DNA, what people are able to do, and things like that. But, if you find a way to do illusion magic in one of my worlds it's going to work pretty much like Lightweaving, regardless of which planet you're on. If that makes sense.

That explains it, but isn't the one I'm thinking of. Can't find it quickly so..... sorry.

Edited by Bloodfalcon

(from here)

I think that phrase from Hoid could also refer to Yolen. According to the best timeline we have, the events of Warbreaker aren't after the events of TWoK.

In fact, it has been speculated that Hoid will have an Awakened sword in TWoR.

Also, it is possible that all forms of magic in the cosmere existed in some form on Yolen prior to the shattering of Adonalsium.

Edit: @bloodfalcon beat me to it!

Edit2: just realized this wasn't in TWoR forum, sorry!

Edited by duladen

I still don't understand how you inferred Roshar from there? Two lands meet in Roshar?

Roshar meets with (whatever's that other planet's name). For certain interpretations of "meet". Also, there is much we don't know about Roshar, which could explain that.

According to the best timeline we have, the events of Warbreaker aren't after the events of TWoK.

Yes, but I think Hoid have visited Roshar before.

It may be Yolen (I don't know anything about it beside the fact that Hoid is from there), but it would be a bit strange way of referring to one's homeland.

Lightweaving is definitely from Yolen, if we can count Liar of Partinel to the canon.
SPOILER ( I have no idea how you put spoilerbrackets in here, sorry ) :

The Hoid we know today is suspected to be a guy named Midius. He took his masters' identity - the "original" Hoid - who also taught him to weave light to basicly do the same stuff worldsingers do on Roshar.

Edited by WeiryWriter
fixed spoiler

I can see how you would conclude that Hoid was referring to Roshar. Shadesmar and Roshar meet, but Shadesmar is actually the cognitive realm that, and I could be wrong, links all of the shard worlds together. I guess in one sense you could consider it a world, but being that it lacks a physical component, then it is not a world in the same manner that Roshar is a world (as in planet).

Without trying to hijack the thread, I am wondering about this theory of Hoid having an Awakened Blade. Is there evidence to support this or is it something that just as y could be possible because he was there during the events of Warbreaker?

It comes from these WoBs:

Nemuri

If a Shardblade was used on an awakened object, would it physically harm the object, destroy the Breath, or a combination of the two?

Brandon Sanderson

You will someday know.

(source)

Q: In The Way of Kings Hoid has a sword in his possession, is this sword related to the planet in Warbreaker?

A:You may be onto something... So basically RAFO.

(source)

Edited by Moogle

You will someday know 

Those words are more infuriating to me than any RAFO could ever be. LOL. RAFO can be "i dont want to ruin a future surprise" "no, but I just wanna say rafo to throw you off," "i'm not sure and probably shouldn't say" or anything of the like. 

You will someday know

It's just teases me worse than when my time's up on 1-900-Talk Dirty and Baked Beans is saying goodbye until next time. 

You will someday know 

Those words are more infuriating to me than any RAFO could ever be. LOL. RAFO can be "i dont want to ruin a future surprise" "no, but I just wanna say rafo to throw you off," "i'm not sure and probably shouldn't say" or anything of the like. 

You will someday know

It's just teases me worse than when my time's up on 1-900-Talk Dirty and Baked Beans is saying goodbye until next time. 

I would rather have a "someday you will know".  Then at least you can somewhat count on it being revealed in one of the stories.  A number of the RAFOs we'll never directly find out until Brandon thinks it is not a problem to answer a later question on the matter.  They may never turn up in the stories.

"...a distant place where two lands meet and gods have died. "

Honour is dead, but why gods plural for Roshar? I always thought this had something to do with Adonalsium shattering/the Shards fighting. Now that I think about it, aren't two gods from Sel (Dominion and Devotion?) dead?

On coppermind it say's he;

Loves bacon 

Brandon Sanderson has also stated Hoid is his favorite character (not surprising Hoid is awesome)

Do you think there is anything special about the Trailman's flute that he gave to Kaladin?

"...a distant place where two lands meet and gods have died. "

Honour is dead, but why gods plural for Roshar? I always thought this had something to do with Adonalsium shattering/the Shards fighting. Now that I think about it, aren't two gods from Sel (Dominion and Devotion?) dead?

*spoilers below*

If you read the Liar of Partinel sample chapters it seems fairly obvious he was referring to Yolen when he makes that statement. Or at least this is my belief.

Edited by WeiryWriter
added spoiler tag

On coppermind it say's he;

Loves bacon 

Brandon Sanderson has also stated Hoid is his favorite character (not surprising Hoid is awesome)

Do you think there is anything special about the Trailman's flute that he gave to Kaladin?

I actually went back and re-read the Liar of Partinel chapters to see if it mentions a flute, but no luck. I'm guessing it's just a flute that he picked up and has carried with him for a very long time. maybe we'll see a nod to picking it up if Dragonsteel ever gets fully written...