Measuring a shard

Steeldancer

If you measured a shard, could you trap it like a spren? 

I mean, it probably wouldn't be easy to do. But what if you just... measured the amount of investiture? Or something like that.

This stemmed from wondering about whether you could measure the Stormfather and trap him. 

The main issue here would be needing units and a tool of measure. What kind of tool could measure investiture? 

12 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

If you measured a shard, could you trap it like a spren? 

I mean, it probably wouldn't be easy to do. But what if you just... measured the amount of investiture? Or something like that.

This stemmed from wondering about whether you could measure the Stormfather and trap him. 

The main issue here would be needing units and a tool of measure. What kind of tool could measure investiture? 

Only if the Shard had no Vessel. Only "wild" Investiture (by this I mean Investiture that is not being controlled by anything/ anyone) can be imprinted on by people's thoughts.

38 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Ok then let's focus on the stormfather. Any ideas of how one could measure him? 

Maybe before Stormwardens were around Highstorms were actually random. Then someone wrote down the dates of the past year's Highstorms and some random "pattern" in that got repeated over and over.

9 minutes ago, Hafrigado said:

Maybe before Stormwardens were around Highstorms were actually random. Then someone wrote down the dates of the past year's Highstorms and some random "pattern" in that got repeated over and over.

That's what I've been wondering about. The question is how much do their predictions effect the stormfather?

2 hours ago, Hafrigado said:

No, the highstorms are actual storms. I saw an interestign theory that Roshar's three moons are what keeps them constantly moving.

2 hours ago, King Cole said:

No, the highstorms are actual storms. I saw an interestign theory that Roshar's three moons are what keeps them constantly moving.

Well yeah they're "actual storms" but they're also magical storms.

We also know that the Stormfather can make a Highstorm come whenever he wants, so we can be pretty sure they're all created by him.

9 hours ago, Steeldancer said:

Ok then let's focus on the stormfather. Any ideas of how one could measure him? 

The Stormfather has already a great stability in the physical without a bond so I think he would be immune to those kind of things...I also believe it's something related to the weak self of the lesser spren and that every sapient Splinter would be immune

@Hafrigado probably not "whatever he wants" but regardless he is the one who triggers them. Probably there are some requirerments for him to do (recovering enough Stormlight from the previous ones or something like that)

Edited by Yata

4 hours ago, Yata said:

The Stormfather has already a great stability in the physical without a bond so I think he would be immune to those kind of things...I also believe it's something related to the weak self of the lesser spren and that every sapient Splinter would be immune

@Hafrigado probably not "whatever he wants" but regardless he is the one who triggers them. Probably there are some requirerments for him to do (recovering enough Stormlight from the previous ones or something like that)

And you know this... how?

2 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

And you know this... how?

He pretty clearly says "I think" and I happen to agree with him. 

If Nahel Spren (and storm pappy is arguable more powerful and less changeable then they are) could be lock in like the lesser spren, Shallan's drawing/memories of Pattern should have had an effect on him. 

12 minutes ago, Calderis said:

He pretty clearly says "I think" and I happen to agree with him. 

If Nahel Spren (and storm pappy is arguable more powerful and less changeable then they are) could be lock in like the lesser spren, Shallan's drawing/memories of Pattern should have had an effect on him. 

But he's affected by the thoughts of Roshar... he talks about it. He's the shadow of tanavast, and because he's considered to be the storms, he IS the storms. He isn't immune. Maybe to a single person, yes. 

Perhaps you would need like the entire continent to measure him. Everybody says "oh look he's 40 meters high" and then he's stuck. 

36 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

But he's affected by the thoughts of Roshar... he talks about it. He's the shadow of tanavast, and because he's considered to be the storms, he IS the storms. He isn't immune. Maybe to a single person, yes. 

Perhaps you would need like the entire continent to measure him. Everybody says "oh look he's 40 meters high" and then he's stuck. 

The Stormfather was the "spren in the Storm" well before Tanavast died (and by Eshonai's words probably from before the Humans arrived on Roshar).

Probably the people's feeling affected it in his early days but once this big Splinter is set...It will took more than the people's belief to changing....As for example, merging with a Cognitive Shadow.

By the way it's possible that Tanavast choose to merge with Rider of the Storm (I like to use the Listener's name for him before the merging to create less confusion) because the people already associate the Spren with the Almight...Not an automatic trasformation, but a deliberate choice.

In the end, I agree with Calderis as it seems quite sure Shallan's drawn didn't stop the Cryptics from chase her, she managed to pull out Pattern with them but He was already bond with her so I will take it not as a general proof of something.

PS: I wil not take Stormfather's world too directly as himself seems confused and it find hard to explain his status to Dalinar

PPS: Sorry for the format, but I am writing by mobile

7 hours ago, Yata said:

Sorry, I meant to mention that in my post.

Anyway, I'm not really convinced about this theory either. I just like to try to prove how theories might be possible.:)

• Chaos locked this topic