Like Totally Awesome Journey

Humph

How does an ten year old kid make the journey from Rall Elorim to a quarter- or half-way across the continent?  With just a short detour into the Valley of Truth to chat with the Nightmother?

Does she just hop on her skateboard and make it totally awesome and one push (and a couple of months) later arrive in Azir?

Remember that Lift has been 10 for about three years now. That gives a lot more time for traveling.

I imagined she is a traveling thief, like Vin and Reen were in Mistborn, temporarily joining other thieving groups, hitchhikking on the back of a passing caravan chull...

Remember that Lift has been 10 for about three years now. That gives a lot more time for traveling.

Rosharan years are 1.1 Earth years, so she's closer to 14 from an Earth perspective, too. She wasn't a helpless babe when she left Rall Elorim.

Edited by Moogle

She did mention that she felt like she could slide all the way to the sea. I'm loving the idea of Lift just skidding frictionless down a highway with a Slicked sled full of dinner rolls being tugged behind her. Every so often, she grabs and messily devours one before chucking the crust at a gaping pedestrian.

I imagined she is a traveling thief, like Vin and Reen were in Mistborn, temporarily joining other thieving groups, hitchhikking on the back of a passing caravan chull...

Hmmm ... tagging along on Vstim's caravan coming out of Rall Elorin on the way to Shinovar for that time that he picked up Szeth perhaps?  Or escaped from some slaver's caravan -- Rall Elorin doesn't have the best of reputations as a place to live.

This is just a curmudgeonly nudge.  The Valley of Truth is in Shinovar and is not associated with the Nightwatcher.

While I haven't formed any solid opinion yet, something kept jumping out at me on my reread.

People kept mentioning that the Nightwatcher is located in a valley in the west. It's probably like you say, and they're different places, but every time it was mentioned I kept thinking of the Valley of truth in Shinovar.

Then my mind started to run with it. How the Shin as well as other countries in the west seem to worship Cultivation, and how Cultivation might be the Nightwatcher, and if the Nightwatcher is located in the Valley of Truth then maybe that had something to do with him becoming Truthless.

Like I said, I've formed no solid opinion, it'a all just wild speculation based on absolutely no evidence.

It is a reasonable connection to make.  But it seems unlikely to me.  That would be a substantial journey for most people.  The mountains around Shinovar are pretty substantial.  I expect it would be a pretty arduous journey for most of the people we have heard about having gone to see the Nightwatcher (see Baxil's interlude).

It is a reasonable connection to make.  But it seems unlikely to me.  That would be a substantial journey for most people.  The mountains around Shinovar are pretty substantial.  I expect it would be a pretty arduous journey for most of the people we have heard about having gone to see the Nightwatcher (see Baxil's interlude).

I guess a valley could be associated with hills, but more commonly it is associated with mountains.  If mountains, where would it be located in?  The Horneater peaks?  The ones near Bavland?  Those outside of Rall Elorin?  Or the mountains that form the border of Shinovar?

If they are located too far to the east it would seem a bit problematic for Lift to have visited, given her young age and origin at the northern tip of the continent.  So that would seem to argue in favor of somewhere near Azir, or on the way from Rall Elorin to Azir.

Like Duskshard, I have always associated her valley with the Valley of Truth, although I don't have any substantial basis for doing so.  An unconscious bias perhaps.  Maybe even a curmudgeonly one. :blink:;)

And THAT is the best way to hide things.

Yeah, I was surprised reading Tor comments on the beta reading article that people didn't realise the name of the parts formed the ketek of the endnote. Guess it's impossible for everyone to pick up everything though. Especially if you haven't reread the book a thousand times. :P

I'm going to have to re-look at the map in my paperback addition.  I could swear I couldn't see the reference anywhere.  How embarrasing ... unless it is stuck deep in the page fold.  That would teach me not to be so cheap and to get the hardbound edition.

The mountain range from the purelake south has the words "the valley" nesteled in it quite nicely. It is west of everyone in alethkar who has mentioned the nightwatcher. but it is also quite close to azir, an easy distance for a young wandering thief to cover without too much trouble.

Man, I always always always want to make a theory out of the map of Roshar being a similar shape to the double eye, and Kaladin growing up in an area that would place him about where his Order sits on the chart. But.... it never works out  :(  This topic brought that back again.