Glyphs

harry31j97

Er... Guys most of the glyphs given on coppermind are in the form of pictograph. I was looking for ... more like klingon. I mean can we write in alethi script, have those glyphs been invented by Sanderson & co? How is it spoken, like english or is it altogether different language?

I believe glyphs are pictograms, like japanese kanji. Kanji have no set pronunciation, in fact the pronunciation frequently changes based on context. You have to instinctively know what way any given kanji is spoken in order to read it aloud. Japanese kana, on the other hand, is just like alethi script, a representation of a sound.

Er... Guys most of the glyphs given on coppermind are in the form of pictograph. I was looking for ... more like klingon. I mean can we write in alethi script, have those glyphs been invented by Sanderson & co? How is it spoken, like english or is it altogether different language?

Yes we can, you need those pics from wiki named Alethi-[letter]. Or just http://www.17thshard.com/forum/gallery/image/347-alethi-bookmark-02-02/

As far as I know itt's pronouced like English; many illustrations in WoK have English text written in those letters.

Oh, and those are not glyphs; glyphs as Mysty already said are another thing. Those are letteers.

Edited by Eri

That makes sense (otherwise, it wouldn't be Alethi, it would be something like Rosharian. But Shallan writes in Alethi, doesn't she? And she's Vedenar, I think. (I don't have the book on me, so I can't check.) Of course Rock's people would have a different script (if they have one at all; they seem like a good candidate for purely oral traditions), and probably the Shinovar. Are glyphs universal, then? So that different nations can communicate easily with each other? That would make sense. Perhaps they're tied to Vorinism.

If you want to write English words in Alethi script (like in the WoK illustrations), I've thrown together a bit of a guide:

Alethi Primer 03

Alethi Primer 04

Alethi Primer 05

Alethi Primer 07

And this is one for Alethi to English:

Alethi Bookmark 02 02 02

edit: adjusted the practice page as per Peter Ahlstrom's comment below.
Edited by harakeke

Do the Glyphs on the KR armor have anything to do with why they glow?

Like they replenish or hold in the stormlight making surgebinding stronger and more consistent? 

Or are they just a Ancient Roshar way of writing? Like the Glyphs just say what order of the Radiants each individual represents, like a logo of sorts?

Alethi is not pronounced like English. The writing samples that we have so far are transliterations of English. Of actual Alethi language, most of that hasn't been revealed yet.

Doesn't that mean that all of Wit's puns either happen to be the exact same in English and Alethi or he's speaking in English and nobody notices?!

Doesn't that mean that all of Wit's puns either happen to be the exact same in English and Alethi or he's speaking in English and nobody notices?!

It means the humor has been localized, ala Anime ot translated poetry. All writing should be assumed to be a localized translation, or the whole idea of humor breaks down badly.

If you want to write English words in Alethi script (like in the WoK illustrations), I've thrown together a bit of a guide:

The height indicator character only goes at the beginning of a block of text. Not at the beginning of each sentence.

Also, spaces between words have a horizontal line.

Edited by PeterAhlstrom

• Chaos locked this topic