[OB] The champion of odium

Kira0147

Ah blast, I didn't know that. I'll find the section I had in mind.... it's in the OB chapters. On my phone so I can't CNTRL+F, but It's where (I think Shallan) someone noted how "improbable/unbelievable it is that Renarin could be cut from the same cloth as Dalinar" or something along those lines 

5 minutes ago, joesleepsalot said:

Ah blast, I didn't know that. I'll find the section I had in mind.... it's in the OB chapters. On my phone so I can't CNTRL+F, but It's where (I think Shallan) someone noted how "improbable/unbelievable it is that Renarin could be cut from the same cloth as Dalinar" or something along those lines 

This is Shallan speaking, she hardly is the authority on the matter. She always had problems with Renarin, therefore her judgment of Renarin shouldn't be taken for granted. Sure Renarin doesn't have the physic of a warrior, he has a disability, but it does not mean he has nothing in common with his father.

1 hour ago, joesleepsalot said:

Option 4: (I don't want this one to be true but I'm convinced it is the one we will have to deal with) kaladin. anyone else, to include non-villainous candidates, is too easy and predictable. Kaladin has legitimate reasons to hate. He's been built up, and literally everyone thinks he's a permanent good guy. Plus let's not forget that from his point of view (and the reader's) the "voidbringers" aren't evil. They're just liberated people. I recall reading somewhere either on this website or in the books that they are regular creatures, but that they are specifically susceptible to the influence of Odium. It might be a WoB. We know that the voidspren is particularly interested in him, and we know that kaladin is being watched by Odium (I think from WoK). Literally everyone knows who Kaladin is, and everyone knows how BA he is. I don't think anyone could match him in a fight in the entire cosmere.... people say Denth, but Denth got owned. Anyone who could take him from any other series has met an untimely end. If you were Odium, and you couldn't pick a herald, which one human in the cosmere would you seek to corrupt and make your champion? Seems pretty common sense to me

I honestly do not think this will happen. Or I should say I hope it doesn’t. It is however worth mentioning the person that owned Denth happens to be on Roshar. 

Just now, StormingTexan said:

I honestly do not think this will happen. Or I should say I hope it doesn’t. It is however worth mentioning the person that owned Denth happens to be on Roshar. 

Agreed on that.... plus he's sparred with Kaladin a few times and won. As dumbledore says, I'd like to revise my statement lol. It'll either be Kaladin or that guy. But I'm not sure Kaladin would lose. His fights against the crusty sword master were not executed while using Stormlight in a flagrant manner. Plus Kaladin learns INCREDIBLY fast, and has surpassed every master he's had at their own craft.  of course mr grump wasn't using his equivalent form of power either, But id still bet that in a fight to the death Kaladin would win. Especially on Roshar. 

11 hours ago, joesleepsalot said:

Agreed on that.... plus he's sparred with Kaladin a few times and won. As dumbledore says, I'd like to revise my statement lol. It'll either be Kaladin or that guy. But I'm not sure Kaladin would lose. His fights against the crusty sword master were not executed while using Stormlight in a flagrant manner. Plus Kaladin learns INCREDIBLY fast, and has surpassed every master he's had at their own craft.  of course mr grump wasn't using his equivalent form of power either, But id still bet that in a fight to the death Kaladin would win. Especially on Roshar. 

All things being equal and no magic being used I think Vasher would take Kaladin mainly because of experience which Vasher surpasses him by a great deal. On Roshar though Kaladin has the uperhand as Brandon has said Vasher has not figured out how to use Stormlight other than sustaining his one breath a week. Of course Vasher is in close proximity to a certain honor blade that would put them on level playing field magically. All of this is just fun stuff to talk about though since it seems like Vasher is not going to take a real active role besides maybe attempting to kiss and make up with Nightblood. He is "hiding out" enjoying the easier way to sustain his immortality or I should say that is what we are being led to believe. He was also an important enough character to write an entire book about too so who knows. 

So this caught my attention on a reread/relisten of WoK page 823

“He’s quite good, you know,” Elhokar said. Adolin made a hit on Resi’s helm, prompting a round of applause from those watching. “Better than my father was. Better than even you, Uncle.” “He works very hard,” Dalinar said. “He truly loves it. Not the war, not the fighting. The dueling.” “He could be champion, if he wished it.” Adolin did wish it, Dalinar knew. But he had refused bouts that would put him within reach of the title. Dalinar suspected that Adolin did it to hold, somewhat, to the Codes. Dueling championships and tournaments were things for those rare times between wars. It could be argued that protecting one’s family honor, however, was for all times.

I wonder if Adolin will become Odium’s champion to protect his family’s honor somehow - not because he is joining Odium — but because of some oath that someone in his family made that they didn’t fully understand the ramifications of. Being born under the sign of nine could just be another foreshadowing of this. 

2 minutes ago, JoyBlu said:

So this caught my attention on a reread/relisten of WoK page 823

I wonder if Adolin will become Odium’s champion to protect his family’s honor somehow - not because he is joining Odium — but because of some oath that someone in his family made that they didn’t fully understand the ramifications of. Being born under the sign of nine could just be another foreshadowing of this. 

Fun fact. If the sign of nine happens during the ninth month of the year, then Adolin had his birthday sometimes in WoK or early WoR. Same time as Kaladin. 

A lot of people can be born under the sign of 9, it doesn't make them Odium's champion. Also, seeing what we saw of the champion, this individual was dark, inhuman and causing destruction everywhere. No matter how he may trap himself into wordings, Adolin would never go forth and start to destroy the world nor would he even think he is making his family a service by doing so.

He has a personality, he isn't just some empty shell to be used in any possible ways just because he is good at fighting. Adolin likely won't become Odium's champion for the mere reason this isn't something he'd ever want to become.

8 hours ago, maxal said:

Fun fact. If the sign of nine happens during the ninth month of the year, then Adolin had his birthday sometimes in WoK or early WoR. Same time as Kaladin. 

A lot of people can be born under the sign of 9, it doesn't make them Odium's champion. Also, seeing what we saw of the champion, this individual was dark, inhuman and causing destruction everywhere. No matter how he may trap himself into wordings, Adolin would never go forth and start to destroy the world nor would he even think he is making his family a service by doing so.

He has a personality, he isn't just some empty shell to be used in any possible ways just because he is good at fighting. Adolin likely won't become Odium's champion for the mere reason this isn't something he'd ever want to become.

Unless Kaladin becomes Odium's champion and Adolin becomes the champion of Honor...???

12 hours ago, StormingTexan said:

All things being equal and no magic being used I think Vasher would take Kaladin mainly because of experience which Vasher surpasses him by a great deal. On Roshar though Kaladin has the uperhand as Brandon has said Vasher has not figured out how to use Stormlight other than sustaining his one breath a week. Of course Vasher is in close proximity to a certain honor blade that would put them on level playing field magically. All of this is just fun stuff to talk about though since it seems like Vasher is not going to take a real active role besides maybe attempting to kiss and make up with Nightblood. He is "hiding out" enjoying the easier way to sustain his immortality or I should say that is what we are being led to believe. He was also an important enough character to write an entire book about too so who knows. 

I dunno, it's definitely a toss-up... Vasher self admittedly isn't an expert at melee fighting.... and he beat Denth with a cheap shot. But then again, we see him in Roshar as exceeding melee expectations (if we're going off his opinion of his skills) and being able to best pretty much anyone so far. I definitely agree with you though, he does seem to be hiding out. 

• Argent changed the title to [OB] The champion of odium
  • Chaos locked this topic