[OB] Urithiru and Everstorm - why not twice?

Wax

At thr end of WoR, the storm starts at the shattered plains.  But the Oathgate transports Urithiru to middle of the continent.  Wouldn’t this mean that Urithiru would see the storm again before it gets to Shinovar??

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Urithiru has always been in the middle of the continent, the Oathgate didn't move it anywhere. The Oathgate moved the Alethi army from Narak to Urithiru. 

The Voidbringers summon the Everstorm at the Shattered Plains as you say. The Shattered Plains are to the East of Urithiru. The Everstorm moves in an easterly direction, away from Urithiru,  towards the Ocean. It then circles the planet to arrive back at the continent at Shinovar. 

Why do you think that it would hit Urithiru before Shinovar? 

6 minutes ago, BlackYeti said:

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Urithiru has always been in the middle of the continent, the Oathgate didn't move it anywhere. The Oathgate moved the Alethi army from Narak to Urithiru. 

The Voidbringers summon the Everstorm at the Shattered Plains as you say. The Shattered Plains are to the East of Urithiru. The Everstorm moves in an easterly direction, away from Urithiru,  towards the Ocean. It then circles the planet to arrive back at the continent at Shinovar. 

Why do you think that it would hit Urithiru before Shinovar? 

Because I have my directions mixed up!  Thanks for clearing it up.

In the end, the Alethi at Urithiru see the Everstorm twice before certain parts of Roshar...

The Oathgate transports anything on it between the platforms of the two Oathgates being used. 

Urithiru is stationary and remains in the mountains at all times. 

In the end, the Alethi at Urithiru see the Everstorm twice before certain parts of Roshar...

@axcellence only because they witnessed it in two locations. Stormseat/shattered plains, and Urithiru. 

Edited by Calderis

Also the clashing of Storms will be safetier I assume.

The Stormfather could regularry the Highstorms to meet the Everstorm only in places where they could not cause too much trouble.

Anyway for now, all' Roshar experienced the Everstorm at least One time

6 hours ago, The Invested Beard said:

Honestly they can't stay away too long. Why establish a really cool magic system that no one can use due to lack of investiture?

Problem with the "really cool magic system," from a meta PoV, is that it's overpowering all the protagonists. With enough stormlight, they can't be killed except by a crushing blow to the head. That's ridiculously overpowered if the fuel they use isn't a scarce commodity, and/or there isn't a readily accessible way to counter their magic (Larkins would work, but they're so rare as to be considered extinct by most people).

Just now, Salkara said:

Problem with the "really cool magic system," from a meta PoV, is that it's overpowering all the protagonists. With enough stormlight, they can't be killed except by a crushing blow to the head. That's ridiculously overpowered if the fuel they use isn't a scarce commodity, and/or there isn't a readily accessible way to counter their magic (Larkins would work, but they're so rare as to be considered extinct by most people).

That would be true if we weren't now about to get into Voidbringer territory. Fighting fire with fire persay.

Just now, The Invested Beard said:

That would be true if we weren't now about to get into Voidbringer territory. Fighting fire with fire persay.

Except we saw over a thousand stormform Voidbringers get taken out by normal soldiers and several shardbearers. Unless there's some way for Voidbringers to get more powerful, their threat lies in their numbers, and if there is a way to power them up, it'll have to fairly hard to achieve (otherwise they'll over power the good guys by an insane amount due to said numbers).

Just now, Salkara said:

Except we saw over a thousand stormform Voidbringers get taken out by normal soldiers and several shardbearers. Unless there's some way for Voidbringers to get more powerful, their threat lies in their numbers, and if there is a way to power them up, it'll have to fairly hard to achieve (otherwise they'll over power the good guys by an insane amount due to said numbers).

I'm thinking they'll definitely get more powerful. Plus we haven't even run across a Thunderclast yet. If the Knights Radiant of old found the desolations challenging in their day, you can bet there's stuff we haven't seen yet that will even the playing field.

58 minutes ago, The Invested Beard said:

I'm thinking they'll definitely get more powerful. Plus we haven't even run across a Thunderclast yet. If the Knights Radiant of old found the desolations challenging in their day, you can bet there's stuff we haven't seen yet that will even the playing field.

This is random and off topic but every time I see the word Thunderclast I sing in my head “Thunder, thunder, thunder, Thundercats!”

The storm shouldn't hit Urithiru anyways. The city is above the storm line, at too high an altitude.

I'm pretty certain this is touched upon in one of the early chapters - how they have to lower their spheres down into a highstorm to recharge them.

18 hours ago, Salkara said:

Most of them weren't actually fighting, they were busy summoning the storm. Even those that were fighting they didn't know how to use the new forms effectively. 

3 hours ago, DiamondMind said:
22 hours ago, Salkara said:

Most of them weren't actually fighting, they were busy summoning the storm. Even those that were fighting they didn't know how to use the new forms effectively.

Also keep in mind that the Radiants were few and far between, when you compare the overall fight of humanity vs. voidbringers. The voidbringers were meant to destroy humanity en masse, so in order to compete against that, the Radiants would have to be overpowered when compared with the normal class of soldier in order to adequately protect humanity. And I like DiamondMind's point up here--most members of the Stormform were so focused on summoning the storm they didn't come to until just before they were slaughtered by Adolin and his crew, but the ones that were fighting the normal soldiery were devastating the field of battle, despite being unused to their own abilities. The only ones that really stood a good chance were the Shardbearers until the tides were turned.

I believe that at the battle of Narak the Alethi had round about 30000 troops versus like 20000 Listeners of which most were not even fighting. The Alethi barely won. Also I pretty sure we have a WoB that says something along the line of stormform being one of the weaker voidforms.

On 12/10/2017 at 3:53 PM, 17th Splinter said:

I believe that at the battle of Narak the Alethi had round about 30000 troops versus like 20000 Listeners of which most were not even fighting. The Alethi barely won. Also I pretty sure we have a WoB that says something along the line of stormform being one of the weaker voidforms.

It was 10000 listeners.

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Urithiru and Everstorm - why not twice?
  • Chaos locked this topic