Controversial Opinions

21 hours ago, Szeth's Facepalm said:

The Lost Metal was actually disappointing. I won't expand here because of spoilers, but... man, i don't know. It fell short for me.

I'm gonna post an SU about it soon for peeps who have read the book, you can hear my reasoning then.

I agree. It was good, but it didn't quite feel right. There were some things that you wouldn't agree with that I didn't like, but I'm interested to see your points. What's an SU?

4 minutes ago, Gregorio said:

I agree. It was good, but it didn't quite feel right. There were some things that you wouldn't agree with that I didn't like, but I'm interested to see your points. What's an SU?

Status update! The little things you post on your profile. And i am relieved there's someone else with a similar opinion, everyone else i talked to thought i was crazy ;-;

(tlm spoilers)

Spoiler

for me, the main thing was that it was a weaker plot disguised behind a huge cosmere lore dump. i really disliked that. i love the little snippets we get of worldhoppers and connections between magic systems, and Khriss or a Hoid cameo is *always* amazing, but i don't much like what's happened in TLM (and also a bit with Rhythm of War but not at the same level) where they just dumb a crem-load of lore on us. It diminishes the fun mystery of it. The plot was sort of not what i expected for the finale of a Mistborn era, i expected something much grander to justify an entire era. it felt like the events surrounding the Malwish and technological advancements could have been just as properly conveyed through a novella. Bands of Mourning (a true masterpiece, imo) was really all we needed.

It was still lovely, and Shadows of Self and Bands of Mourning continue to be some of his best books for me. But it was kind of a dissapointment.

Just now, Szeth's Facepalm said:

Status update! The little things you post on your profile. And i am relieved there's someone else with a similar opinion, everyone else i talked to thought i was crazy ;-;

(tlm spoilers)

Hide contents

for me, the main thing was that it was a weaker plot disguised behind a huge cosmere lore dump. i really disliked that. i love the little snippets we get of worldhoppers and connections between magic systems, and Khriss or a Hoid cameo is *always* amazing, but i don't much like what's happened in TLM (and also a bit with Rhythm of War but not at the same level) where they just dumb a crem-load of lore on us. It diminishes the fun mystery of it. The plot was sort of not what i expected for the finale of a Mistborn era, i expected something much grander to justify an entire era. it felt like the events surrounding the Malwish and technological advancements could have been just as properly conveyed through a novella. Bands of Mourning (a true masterpiece, imo) was really all we needed.

It was still lovely, and Shadows of Self and Bands of Mourning continue to be some of his best books for me. But it was kind of a dissapointment.

Definitely. I love how he does some of the books in the middle of era 2.

Spoiler

Wayne's a bit crass/inappropriate for my liking in the last one, but it's Wayne, and Sanderson isn't shy with that kinda stuff. I liked the lore as well. Hoid "hopping" into the story always makes me grin. I would have liked it if the end of Era 2 should've finished us off with a good detective like finish because that's what it was. Sanderson could've put in like an epilogue or something to explain it a bit more. Maybe he should just have an online lore book. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Szeth's Facepalm said:

(tlm spoilers)

Reveal hidden contents

that sounds about like how I felt as well, to be honest.  it was fun enough, but not up to the same standards as his other books, and definitely not for the end of that particular era

edit to add: Thinking on it a little it, It is probably the single weakest cosmere novel, and weaker than most if not all of the shorter works as well.

Edited by Dunkum

3 hours ago, Dunkum said:

edit to add: Thinking on it a little it, It is probably the single weakest cosmere novel, and weaker than most if not all of the shorter works as well.

Sadly, yup. It can't hold a candle to Emperor's Soul ;-; and not as good as Edgedancer either imo. (I love Lift.)

That was pretty controversial, but for the most part I do agree that TLM felt very different and focused a lot more on cosmere tie-ins rather than the main mistborn storyline.

And Emperor's Soul was amazing

Edited by Witless of Shinovar

I saw the first two episodes of Wednesday and wasn't particularly amazed. It was well-made, but felt a lot like every other supernatural high-school-drama around. Jenna Ortega was good, but not really mindblowing in the way that the internet seems to think. She mostly just walks around with a straight face and drops dark one-liners (which is basically Wednesdays entire character, and it gets old/repetetive rather quickly). I wasn't particularly intrigued by any of the other characters either, they kind of felt like stereotypical characters from the high-school genre. Harry Potter did basically everything Wednesday did better. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 6:38 PM, Dunkum said:

Thinking on it a little it, It is probably the single weakest cosmere novel, and weaker than most if not all of the shorter works as well.

Unfortunately I also consider it the weakest of the Cosmere books which is tough for me to say because I absolutely loved SoS and BoM and have been looking forward to this for years. I'd actually say the weakest of all his books if it wasn't for Calamity. On the bright side I loved SP1 and looking forward to the other SP books. 

4 hours ago, StormingTexan said:

Unfortunately I also consider it the weakest of the Cosmere books which is tough for me to say because I absolutely loved SoS and BoM and have been looking forward to this for years. I'd actually say the weakest of all his books if it wasn't for Calamity. On the bright side I loved SP1 and looking forward to the other SP books. 

yea, I liked a lot of what we saw of Era 2, so it was definitely disappointing. what's worse, due to some of the specific weaknesses which i probably can't discuss here yet, I worry that future books are going to have the same problems. SP1 didn't exactly alleviate that for me, though it was better

• 2 weeks later...

Wednesday is a terrible show. It is so over rated, and everyone keeps trying to get me to watch it, but I watched three episodes and that was already way too much. no offense to anyone who likes it, because i can honestly see the appeal. I understand why people like it, but it's just really not for me.

On 2/8/2023 at 5:59 AM, The Sibling said:

Wednesday is a terrible show. It is so over rated, and everyone keeps trying to get me to watch it, but I watched three episodes and that was already way too much. no offense to anyone who likes it, because i can honestly see the appeal. I understand why people like it, but it's just really not for me.

It's okay, but definitely not worth the hype. I kind of like it, but again, it's really overrated

(I have watched about the same amount of episodes)

Edited by Witless of Shinovar

3 minutes ago, solarcat93 said:

Sports are dumb :/

Incredibly dumb, but sometimes fun to play! Football just makes no sense to me. My friends are over here screaming about it with stuff like "Foul!" "Interception!" and me and my girlfriend are just like, "wut". Basketball is the same story.

I do enjoy playing it with friends sometimes though. Dumb, but not boring!

Edited by Sequence
(usually)

On 10/17/2017 at 1:50 PM, Orlion Blight said:

Lord of the Rings is no where near the peak of fantasy literary excellence. 

I third this, albeit he did write a full language and then decided to write a fantasy book wtih people in it who use that language. Other than that they were alright, though I might be a bit biased because my dad made me read it once since the author is Roman Catholic, and it's the only fantasy series he enjoyed lol. 

3 hours ago, solarcat93 said:

I third this, albeit he did write a full language and then decided to write a fantasy book wtih people in it who use that language. Other than that they were alright, though I might be a bit biased because my dad made me read it once since the author is Roman Catholic, and it's the only fantasy series he enjoyed lol. 

It's great world building and stuff, but the fact that the story takes as long as it does (because of the mega long descriptions) it definitely isn't the best. 

40 minutes ago, Gregorio said:

It's great world building and stuff, but the fact that the story takes as long as it does (because of the mega long descriptions) it definitely isn't the best. 

I'm not too fond of his flowery writing either, but I somehow like iambic pentameter. :/ I'm weird. In terms of the films, The Two Towers was good, but I haven't watch the Return of the King and the Fellowship of the Ring was okay. 

19 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

I feel like without Hrathen I wouldn’t have liked Elantris even half as much. He is the best character in it and is what made Elantris good for me

I'm pretty sure that's the general opinion about that book, when people remember it exists. 

On 2/9/2023 at 11:15 PM, Cinnamon said:

I feel like without Hrathen I wouldn’t have liked Elantris even half as much. He is the best character in it and is what made Elantris good for me.

Spoiler

I just finished Elantris and I agree. Hrathen is the best character in there. Everyone else seems kind of dull. It's Sanderson's first book, and I found myself really liking Hrathen in the end. I didn't really like Sarene

(Spoiler for Elantris)

6 minutes ago, Gregorio said:
  Hide contents

I just finished Elantris and I agree. Hrathen is the best character in there. Everyone else seems kind of dull. It's Sanderson's first book, and I found myself really liking Hrathen in the end. I didn't really like Sarene

(Spoiler for Elantris)

*gesp* no slander for my book gf

jk, it's cool if you didn't like her. i just think she's neat lol

Ezra Bridger is way better than Luke Skywalker.

Bastille vs the Evil Librarians was fun, but disappointing and lacking anything to make it stand out in its own right. It's just standing on the shoulders of the previous books in the series.