Controversial Opinions

5 hours ago, That1Cellist said:

My controversial opinion is that Star Wars in general really just isn’t good. It constantly introduces new things that are plot wholes in previous things, as well as mess up whatever they’re doing now. The older stuff isn’t great either.

I disagree, the older stuff is quite good, but they made too much, and over saturated the entirety of Star Wars, which made it kind of fail. Kind of the same thing with marvel

Edited by Witless of Shinovar

5 hours ago, That1Cellist said:

My controversial opinion is that Star Wars in general really just isn’t good. It constantly introduces new things that are plot wholes in previous things, as well as mess up whatever they’re doing now. The older stuff isn’t great either.

I’m on Witless’ side here… the original trilogy was a phenomenal saga, but the newer the Star Wars the less good (in my opinion). I stopped watching after book do boba fett 

6 minutes ago, Cash67 said:

I’m on Witless’ side here… the original trilogy was a phenomenal saga, but the newer the Star Wars the less good (in my opinion). I stopped watching after book do boba fett 

The book of boba fett was basically just a season 2.5 of the mandalorian, which in my opinion is amazing

I love Star Wars, but not because of any specific movie or story...I just love the cohesive universe and how it all fits together. I like what they've been doing in the recent shows that have been coming out, where characters cross over and meet...it reminds me of the Cosmere. And I agree the sequels go off the rails too much and undermine the previous story. But aside from that? It's an incredible franchise that has so much stuff in it and the way that all that stuff weaves together is what makes it awesome.

So even if one show or movie or whatever isn't the best, I still like it, because it has it's place in the grand scheme of things.

Also all the recent shows (Mandalorian, Bad Batch, Boba Fett, ect.) are just Dave Filoni having a blast with the characters he made, which is fun to watch.

5 hours ago, Witless of Shinovar said:

The book of boba fett was basically just a season 2.5 of the mandalorian, which in my opinion is amazing

This is true. And while it kind of took away from the show in and of itself, for the cohesive story of Star Wars, it was a plus. We got some Boba Fett backstory, which was nice, and we got some set up for season 3.

So even if the show by itself wasn't good, it was still essential for other stories.

EDITS:

5 hours ago, Cash67 said:

If you haven't seen Andor, watch it.

5 hours ago, Witless of Shinovar said:

I disagree, the older stuff is quite good, but they made too much, and over saturated the entirety of Star Wars, which made it kind of fail. Kind of the same thing with marvel

What about the oversaturating is a problem? Like I kind of talked about above, I love how much stuff they're adding to the universe.

And while I have very little experience with Marvel, I think the whole interconnected story and crossovers and secrets and cameos would appeal to me just as much.

....I need to put the obligatory statement that I respect your opinions whatever they are and I don't mean to be rude and please tell me if I am so I can stop.

Edited by The Bookwyrm

4 minutes ago, Ranryu said:

I've watched all of the newer star wars tv shows in hopes of Ezra returning. If he doesn't return I'm gonna quit star wars. Maybe. 

Watch Ashoka when it comes out. That would have the highest chance of seeing him again I think.

Edited by The Wandering Wizard

Just now, The Wandering Wizard said:

Watch Ashoka when it comes out. That would have the highest chance of seeing him again I think.

I know I'm so hyped. But it would be weird having his character in live-action. How would they get the blue hair?

I really liked bad batch, but I found boba fett lacking. The other stuff was okay- nothing spectacular. 

Tbh Star Wars has always been a turn off your brain series for me. I agree with the general consensus that episode 9 loses a lot when it comes to being cohesive but aside from that, I'd say I enjoy all 9 movies about the same amount for the same reasons. Which is to say, spaceships and lightsabers are fun, but that's about it. 

That said, aside from Rogue One (which is tied for my favorite along with episodes 5 and 8), I have zero experience with any spin-off, TV shows, books, or games. And I do hear that those go way beyond what the movies cover, and they seem a lot more consistently regarded as good in comparison to the main saga, which is a minefield of a debate.

Still thinking about doing some of that. 

Edited by Eluvianii
Called episode 5 episode 2 because it came out second. Confusing

36 minutes ago, Ranryu said:

I've watched all of the newer star wars tv shows in hopes of Ezra returning. If he doesn't return I'm gonna quit star wars. Maybe. 

I think it's very possible and somewhat likely they'll pull him in. And I'm not too worried about seeing him in live action; if they use his voice actor, he looks pretty similar to the Ezra in Rebels.

6 hours ago, The Bookwyrm said:

I love Star Wars, but not because of any specific movie or story...I just love the cohesive universe and how it all fits together. I like what they've been doing in the recent shows that have been coming out, where characters cross over and meet...it reminds me of the Cosmere. And I agree the sequels go off the rails too much and undermine the previous story. But aside from that? It's an incredible franchise that has so much stuff in it and the way that all that stuff weaves together is what makes it awesome.

So even if one show or movie or whatever isn't the best, I still like it, because it has it's place in the grand scheme of things.

Also all the recent shows (Mandalorian, Bad Batch, Boba Fett, ect.) are just Dave Filoni having a blast with the characters he made, which is fun to watch.

This is true. And while it kind of took away from the show in and of itself, for the cohesive story of Star Wars, it was a plus. We got some Boba Fett backstory, which was nice, and we got some set up for season 3.

So even if the show by itself wasn't good, it was still essential for other stories.

EDITS:

If you haven't seen Andor, watch it.

What about the oversaturating is a problem? Like I kind of talked about above, I love how much stuff they're adding to the universe.

And while I have very little experience with Marvel, I think the whole interconnected story and crossovers and secrets and cameos would appeal to me just as much.

....I need to put the obligatory statement that I respect your opinions whatever they are and I don't mean to be rude and please tell me if I am so I can stop.

So I think i need to elaborate a bit. There is definitely a lot of good stuff, but there is also a lot of stuff that didn't exactly do much for Star Wars. *glares at the sequel trilogy* I'm more talking about the books and things like that. There is simply a lot to follow.

When I say that Marvel is too oversaturated, the movies are (most of the time) well done, and they form a cool story, but the comics, there is just too much material for their own good.

really, If there is a lot of stuff to a story, than it can be a good thing, but in my opinion it can be quite tedious to follow all the separate story arcs and things with such a massive universe being used. I'm rambling now so I'm just going to stop. Idk, I don't like things that have too many things to follow that I have no hope of ever keeping up with.

Nonsense rant over 

1 minute ago, Frustration said:

I can't hear you over the sound of Duel of the Fates.

John Williams, you had no reason to make it that good!

Star Wars overall is kinda meh, phenomenal sometimes, but for the most part meh. The soundtrack however, is possibly the most iconic one of all time

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/31/2023 at 8:36 PM, Curry said:

The Lord of the Rings films were overly long and just kind of alright. Not the cinematic masterpiece that people make it out to be. Great at parts, like the Ride of the Rohirrim, but just fine otherwise.

lol. I can see that. I like the movies. But they’re definitely long. Like the books. 

Eh, I guess.

Not a fan of what Disney or Filoni did to Star Wars. The latter would be considered more heresy, as pretty much most people like Filoni. I really don't and think TCWMMP was better at addressing the period.

Not sure if this needs spoilers: have kept the criticisms vague and the EU has been out for donkey years, but fair warning, it's under the cut, and probably controversial given the fandom now has camps of: 'The EU sucks', 'Disney Did Nothing Wrong' and also 'Filoni is God', and I disagree with everyone but can't say the EU camp is totally wrong - people dismiss them too fast, and I say this despite preferring the EU.

Spoiler

But just as controversially: people defend the EU (Legends for Disney people) like it's some sort of jewel when we'd long gotten used to picking and choosing what was okay and what was genuinely kayana. Just off the top of my head: Dark Empire more or less ought to get the same criticisms as Rise of Skywalker, Plague Troopers probably doesn't exist comfortably in any universe with just any Star Wars, I don't even want to go into the wormhole hopping time travel plotline, and there was maybe the 2013-2014 (?) issue with Star Wars writers happily shoehorning domestic abuse into the books and not having a single person point out it was a problem. Children of the Jedi is super weird and insanely pulpy, whoever wrote Waru should never have been allowed to write Star Wars unless headspace-filed like Plague Troopers, and as much as I love Jedi Apprentice/Jedi Quest, it doesn't belong comfortably with the rest of the universe. Don't even get me started on Abeloth, the fact that the whole Anakin Solo/Jacen Solo switch was based off Lucas going "what if people can't tell the difference though" and the entire nonsense that was Jacen falling to the Dark Side and then not falling so much as jumping for reasons that never really made in-world sense but hey, Mandalorian berserker states are magic, and Sith kill the people they love as some sort of masochistic sacrifice.

It's great but it's absolutely a problem child.

Edited by Kasimir

• 4 months later...