Gravitation lashings vs feruchemical iron

Sirscott13

My question stems from the theory on weightlessness. Or even weight in general. We know that with lashings you can become basically in zero G and if you stored all your weight totally nude minus a small iron earring you could become nearly zero G.

Now, do lashings change via different gravitates? I know roshar is smaller than earth so by theory would it require a lashing and a fraction of a lashing to create weightlessness? Also, what happens if you store weight in zero gravity via space or a lashing? Would you just be unable to store at all because it's not a factor of mass but a factor of gravity?

Or let's say you have a wind runner who also happens to be a feruchemist in iron, what if you lashed yourself repeatedly so that you had immense gravity upward and then you stored all that weight. Could you basically use stormlight to fuel your ironmind?

Lastly what happens if you were to tap weight and then lash yourself to a wall. Could you basically destroy buildings this way or would you need to lash multiple times to make up for the tapped weight?

Speculations?

Or let's say you have a wind runner who also happens to be a feruchemist in iron, what if you lashed yourself repeatedly so that you had immense gravity upward and then you stored all that weight. Could you basically use stormlight to fuel your ironmind?

I suspect that storing weight is storing your Spiritual connection to other mass. Stormlight seems to manipulate this connection, so I would guess that yes, you could do this.

Lastly what happens if you were to tap weight and then lash yourself to a wall. Could you basically destroy buildings this way or would you need to lash multiple times to make up for the tapped weight?

Tapping weight seems to conserve your speed. So, as long as you Lashed before tapping, I think this is feasible.

I would guess no.  Weight affects density somehow, doesn't it?  Meaning that gravity wouldn't actually change how it was being stored...

Can you explain that? If Sazed became 'more dense', would you propose that his flesh is becoming made of lead, or something? I don't think Cosmere physics work quite the same when Investiture comes into play. We know gravity is due to Spiritual connections.

Edited by Moogle

I assuming we have a Feruchemist and a Surgebinder, not one guy who does both.

When you have two people with different powers, you can make one person with both powers with just one spike.

:D

That said, I can't imagine it's a very efficient conversion of Stormlight -> Feruchemical Charge. Stormlight is constantly leaking from whatever it's used on, after all. It's a good idea, though. I wonder if you could use Division to heat up things and store the heat with Feruchemy for a more efficient transfer. Or perhaps you could Soulcast air to food and store that...

Edited by Moogle

If Szeth put multiple lashings on Wax, would Wax be able to store much more than he usually can?

Wax stores weight, which is a measurement of the force being put on a certain mass of object by gravity.

Therefore more gravity= more weight. 

Therefore more Lashings= more Filling. 

But would Wax be able to store weight any FASTER - in other words, would his ~0g weight be magnified back to normal weight even storing as much as he could?

Are we still toying with Zero G?

A single Basic Lashing would only increase his weight by the normal x1 in a given direction.(using Roshar's gravity as the norm)

A second Lashing would double that force, giving Wax double the amount of weight he cited potentially store.

There is a bottom line to the amount you're able to Fill a Metal Mind. If  I weigh 100 lbs, I'm never going to be able to store more than 99 lbs a second. If I weigh 200 lbs however I can Fill 199 lbs a second. So Wax having multiple Lashings accrue will let him Fill his Iron-Mind at a quicker rate than would other wise normally be possible.

Did I answer your question?

• Chaos locked this topic