[OB] Oathbringer Reading

ElephantEarwax

Oathbringer Reading Poll  

101 members have voted

1. 1. When you read Oathbringer, where are you going to start?

• The beginning.
    • After the released chapters.

I want to know how everyone feels about this, please give your reasoning.

The things I can see from starting at the beginning are, having the continuous story, but longer read time.

Starting at the first interludes, you finish faster, but may miss something. Although I feel like that will be mitigated by the discussions on the chapters on this board.

Edited by ElephantEarwax

I will look at the art in part one, but I want to move on to the interludes during my first read through. I'm sure I will be on my second read through soon as I  finish. If I start over then my second read through will be my third reading of part 1. I don't think I will want to read part 1 a third time soon after my second time. 

I will have this book for years while waiting for Stormlight 4. Why start over? I can read part 1 again anytime I want.

I'm gonna get the best of both worlds. I'll be waiting for midnight, for the ebook to get delivered. So I'll start rereading the preview chapters earlier that evening. Get the sequential feel, but not actually holding up getting to the new parts!

I’ll start after the prerelease chapters. With the time I’ve spent reading on the forums, I actually caught a lot more in the chapters that I would on a regular read-through (or listen). And I’m really excited to know that happens at the end of the book. I know I’ll reread Oathbringer all-the-way through again before the next book. Maybe twice even. So I’ll get another dose of Part 1 then 

I'm going to be listening to the audiobook (and reading along for most of it of course), so I'll start from the beginning. Plus, I tend to forget things if too much time passes and it'll be a couple months since I read the beginning when I get to read the rest, so I basically have to start over anyway. That's a lot of time to pass when I normally read a book in a day or two, or about a week listening.

I'm going to read it many times anyway, and that would be a problem if starting over bothered me.

I was originally going to do this all along, read the chapters as they come out and then re-read them, but to be honest, it flows so smoothly that I'm considering changing my stance. I'll probably re-read the prologue and first chapter or two and reassess if I want to just skip right ahead to part 2.

I have an uncorrected proof and I restarted the book when it arrived.  This was especially important to me as I had reread the first two books, and read Edgedancer between starting the released chapters and getting a copy of the book.  That being said, I feel like the book really picks up in part two.  Does anyone else out there have ARCs?

I'm going to go from the beginning, but I'm cheating. I've got a decent chunk of that week off, so I'll be able to take my time. 

Depending on how desperate I get, I may go back and read through the online chapters instead of reading in the book. 

Starting at Interludes. No reason to go back and re-read until I've finished once. I'm too antsy to get to more information and since we've been analyzing the crap out of the first part this whole preview season I'm not going to have any problems remembering anything that happened.

I want to start from the beginning to get the right feel for the flow and pace of the book. I feel if I skip ahead it will break the pacing. Then again, I read fairly quickly and am taking Tuesday off from work so I plan to have the book finished by Tuesday evening.

I think that I am going to re-read all the sample chapter the weekend before the release. Then ,when I get my book at the release party, I will skim through part 1 (look at the heading, pictures, etc.), then read the interludes between parts 1 and 2. Because I value sleep, I will finish the book on Tuesday.

2 hours ago, Tarion said:

I'm going to go from the beginning, but I'm cheating. I've got a decent chunk of that week off, so I'll be able to take my time. 

Depending on how desperate I get, I may go back and read through the online chapters instead of reading in the book. 

I took 2 days off, 1 to read it and 1 to recover/think/talk about it. I expect to finish it sometime in the wee hours of the morning the day after getting it, so I'll then crash. When I wake up I'll waltz over here to see the reactions.

I am reading it from the beginning as well. I'm actually hopeful that the book gets in before they Kindle version is live, so I can have the hardback from the beginning for the full experience. It happened for WoR which I also pre-ordered through amazon.

This question has been driving me crazy.. It will take a couple weeks for me to get through it because I do not have a lot of time for reading. In that time I will have to avoid this website because I will be too tempted to start reading threads. So I am thinking I may re-read the preview chapters right before (if I have time) then start at interludes so I have a jump start and can see everyones reactions sooner. 

11 hours ago, Ammanas said:

I don't, but I know one of the reviewers at the bibliosanctum has one and is reading it now. Are you also a reviewer/blogger?

https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/10/07/mogsys-bookshelf-roundup-stacking-the-shelves-recent-reads-46/

I work for a big bookstore chain, at the store level, but I read and review a lot of books for the company to help make decisions on what books to get behind, how to present and promote books, etc.  I sent an email way back in the summer asking them to keep an eye out for this one for me, as it was probably my most anticipated book of the year.  I was told chances were slim, but it was in my last package of ARCs. :)   

I'm starting from the beginning, I want to get a sense of the flow of the book, plus it's been ages since the beginning of the sample chapters and I might have forgotten stuff. And I'm going to finish the book quickly enough already that I don't need to do it any quicker 

I'm going to be on vacation from the 12th through the 22nd, so I won't be around to receive a version, and knowing the way I read books, it'd get in the way of vacation, so I'll probably have to wait for my return. I'll probably order the book and schedule it to arrive on Black Friday.

I mostly do the audiobooks, so i will be starting at the beginning and probably end up reading it several times. But Im going to go back and reread WoK & WoR first so everything is fresh in my head (though Ive read both 5 or 6 times).