[OB] Stones, Stone Shamanism, and Death rites (Oathbringer Spoilers)

Fifth of Daybreak

3 hours ago, Shadowmancer said:

Aren't we all forgetting Rock? :P His name is a poem about a special rock his father found [

There's might be something to this considering his ability to see invisible spren. 

3 hours ago, Shadowmancer said:

And then Wit says that he was once named for a beautiful stone that became useless for his wearing it

I feel like I remember something from way back before I left that it was confirmed answered. Mistborn Trilogy spoilers.

Spoiler

Isn't it the lerasium bead he took in WoA?

Edited by Fifth of Daybreak

43 minutes ago, Shadowmancer said:

That doesn't sound like MBSH 

Reveal hidden contents

Lerasium, which you swallow.

I'm gonna be honest, I'm not the best one to talk to about this. I'll do my best from how I understood it, but if there's anyone else who was more involved with this, has more up to date information, or anything, please save me.

Spoiler

Hoid is a feruchemist, and the running theory as I understand it is that he is "wearing it" under his skin and using it as a metal mind to become an mistborn somehow. 

Ah ok @Fifth of Daybreak, I can see the quote you're using for this parallel.

Let me first assure you that the element is quite safe. I have found a good home for it. I protect its safety like I protect my own skin, you might say. [WoK, somewhere]

I can see that being considered wearing it. I don't see him being named for it in this instance, but then we certainly haven't seen even the smallest fraction of Hoid's story.

Edited by Shadowmancer

6 minutes ago, Shadowmancer said:

Ah ok @Fifth of Daybreak, I can see the quote you're using for this parallel.

I can see that being considered wearing it. I don't see him being named for it in this instance, but then we certainly haven't seen even the smallest fraction of Hoid's story.

Haha like I said, I'm not the best one to talk to about this subject...:D

I compulsively listen to the books, which I didn't stop doing over the past two years. I didn't keep up on the forums though, so I'm not as knowledgable about things outside of onscreen canon. 

8 minutes ago, Fifth of Daybreak said:

Haha like I said, I'm not the best one to talk to about this subject...:D

I compulsively listen to the books, which I didn't stop doing over the past two years. I didn't keep up on the forums though, so I'm not as knowledgable about things outside of onscreen canon. 

Haha, no worries. Maybe some resident experts can conjure up a WOB for us :D

Any chance he includes crystal under rocks, so an aether? What would happen if you tried to make an alloy of the solid form of each shard's power (harmonium but every god metal)? Could you harm a shard with a part of it's god metal (odium's metal or something?) last I checked all the god metals were considered elements.

Just throwing a few ideas in, I'm not the most knowledgeable person here, I would consider myself mid level in knowledge so these could very well all be impossible because of some tiny detail or wording or something.

3 minutes ago, Blacksmithki said:

Any chance he includes crystal under rocks, so an aether? What would happen if you tried to make an alloy of the solid form of each shard's power (harmonium but every god metal)? Could you harm a shard with a part of it's god metal (odium's metal or something?) last I checked all the god metals were considered elements.

Just throwing a few ideas in, I'm not the most knowledgeable person here, I would consider myself mid level in knowledge so these could very well all be impossible because of some tiny detail or wording or something.

I'm fairly sure that harmonium is not an alloy of lerasium and atium, but we need a WoB master to confirm that.

4 minutes ago, ElephantEarwax said:

I'm fairly sure that harmonium is not an alloy of lerasium and atium, but we need a WoB master to confirm that.

I wasn't sure about that one, but the idea was an alloy of all the solid forms of all the shards' investiture, just to throw the idea in the ring to be immediately denied because of something.

i mean we know that both lerasium and Atium can allow with commen metal, so why not? In every likly good it's not but my first idea was a nugget of adonalsium's power, so I figured I'd just say what I did instead.

Edited by Blacksmithki

The "Rock" in this instance is a Topaz. It's one of Hoid's aliases, and was apparently something he had in Dragonsteel, though I have no clue what it did or it's significance. 

Edit: here's a WoB that mentions the name, from the SoS release party. 

Questioner 1

In The Way of Kings, when Hoid is talking to Kaladin and he says his name is Hoid, he said that he took the name from someone else.

Brandon Sanderson

He did.

Questioner 1

So why is he Hoid in everything else?

Brandon Sanderson

Hoid is not his original name.

Questioner 1

So...

Questioner 2

Does he still go by his original name ever?

Brandon Sanderson

I don't know if you've ever seen his original name.

Questioner 2

I've read your Master's thesis [DragonsteelPrime].

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, he doesn't go by the name that is in there very often but there are people who know him by that name.

Questioner 1

What is his original name?

Brandon Sanderson

Well he's assuming that the name he is using in there is actually his original name. He's using the name Cephandrius. Which you're assuming is his original.

Questioner 2

Closer to the truth than Hoid is.

Brandon Sanderson

It is closer to the truth...

Questioner 2

Cephandrius is closer to his original name than Hoid, it's an earlier alias.

Brandon Sanderson

Well Hoid was one of his very first aliases.

Questioner 2

So I stand corrected.

Brandon Sanderson

But, Cephandrius is more him.

Questioner 2

Does he still go by his nickname he got.

Brandon Sanderson

To some people, Topaz.

Edited by Calderis

On 11/3/2017 at 9:39 AM, ElephantEarwax said:

WoB courtesy of Ironeyes:

Ironeyes: So harmonium, we have a working theory that the reason it's so volatile is because some of the subatomic particles are associated with Ruin and some of them are [of?] Preservation. Is that true?
A: Yeah, that's basically what's going on is that it's creating a very unstable metal. Now, it is in the nature of the Cosmere not a compound but an element. But, you could call it a subatomic particle sure. It's very volatile because it is in nature spiritually in contrast with itself. And so though it is a single element rather than a compound, the spiritual nature is not happy as it is, and you can set up in the physical realm, through reactivity things that would just rip it apart and really your energy is not, your energy in that is actually pulling from the Spiritual realm, and so that's why it can be so much more explosive than even the chemistry would account for.

On 11/2/2017 at 5:26 PM, Fifth of Daybreak said:

has more up to date information, or anything, please save me.

Hide contents

Hoid is a feruchemist,

The information contained within your spoiler tag is not necessarily true. Aside from this, which supersedes this old WoB, we have no info on the subject whatsoever.

2 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

The information contained within your spoiler tag is not necessarily true. Aside from this, which supersedes this old WoB, we have no info on the subject whatsoever.

My hero :wub:

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Stones, Stone Shamanism, and Death rites (Oathbringer Spoilers)
  • Chaos locked this topic