[OB] Oathbringer chapters 28-30

Steeldancer

1 hour ago, Oversleep said:

I don't know if someone has mentioned it before but I think the disk painting depicts worldhopping:

Now, compare it with similar painting from Elantris:

Hide contents

Coincidence? I think not!

So, I very strongly suspect it's depicting worldhopping.

I like this idea better but I honestly thought it was more similar to the endpage picture. Not an exact match but still. 

"A solitary figure hovering above the ground before a large blue disc, arms stretched to the side as if to embrace it."

http://www.17thshard.com/news/brandon-news/oathbringer-uk-tour-dates-oathbringer-endpapers-r343/

Edited by shadowwisp

59 minutes ago, vividox said:

I'm guessing that's a side affect of having "dead" shardplate. I'd bet he can use Stormlight through Glys-plate. 

Another possibility is that Renarin chooses to remove the gauntlet because he believes that he needs skin-to-skin contact. I'd have to re-read Dalinar's memory of Regrowth-based healing to see if the Radiant in the memory explicitly took off Shardplate in order to heal. If that was the case, then that'd be much stronger evidence.

Just now, heridfel said:

Another possibility is that Renarin chooses to remove the gauntlet because he believes that he needs skin-to-skin contact. I'd have to re-read Dalinar's memory of Regrowth-based healing to see if the Radiant in the memory explicitly took off Shardplate in order to heal. If that was the case, then that'd be much stronger evidence.

That Radiant used a fabrial though.

1 minute ago, heridfel said:

The Radiant in Dalinars vision used a fabrial.

4 minutes ago, shadowwisp said:

I like this idea better but I honestly thought it was more similar to the endpage picture. Not an exact match but still. 

http://www.17thshard.com/news/brandon-news/oathbringer-uk-tour-dates-oathbringer-endpapers-r343/

I actually don't know if either of these is the case. I almost feel like this is a third shard being depicted alongside Honor and Cultivation. It definitely does look like a shardpool or something, but why place it in the same area as the shards?

Deep sigh. These chapters were great, no doubt, but I miss Brightlord Brooding-eyes. Where is my flying bridgeman and his roving wilderness-survival-seminar-for would-be voidbringers? Did  Shallan casually mention that several highstorms have come and gone? 

General Thoughts:
Sick of no Kaladin weeks. GIVE ME MORE KALADIN!

Chapter 28:
Dalinar seems to be picking up his Surgebinding skills rather quickly. Also, I wish we would get to see what Tension does!

Dalinar the dreamstalker. If he was of a more devious/deviant mindset this could get... weird. (Un?)Fortunately, Dalinar will probably just stick to using it in a useful way.

Chapter 29/30:
An Unmade!

Did anyone else think the battle against a powerful splinter of Odium was a bit... weak? Was this a trick to make team not-Odium more confident? Was Re-Sephir hampered in some way? The fact that 2 Pseudo-Radiant, 1 shardbearer, and ~30 soldiers could chase off an Unmade was a bit of a weak opener for them. Now, to be fair, Shallan did say that Re-Sephir could have overwhelmed Bridge 4 and the others pretty quickly if it wanted to but it is one thing for Shallan to say that and another thing for that to happen on-screen for the first appearance of an Unmade. I mean, no one even died! It was a very lackluster display of Unmade power imo.

Side-thought: In the vision where Dalinar sees the Midnight Essence (page 306 of first edition Kindle version of "the Way of Kings") the Radiant says "No, this was Midnight Essence, though who released it is still a mystery." Released it. As in, Re-Sephir might have been captive during this time as well!

Closing Thoughts:
I agree with @Oversleep that the image with the blue oval matches too closely with the Elantris mural to be coincidence. The Uruthiru mural is also, imo, about worldhopping.

@Steeldancer's theory about the Unmade being related to the Heralds breaking seems pretty sound to me. Personally, I think the "break under torture" thing might be related, somehow, to breaking the Heralds' bond to something and allowing Odium to bond one of his Splinters (an Unmade) to whatever it was the Herald was bonded to.

15 minutes ago, shadowwisp said:

"A solitary figure hovering above the ground before a large blue disc, arms stretched to the side as if to embrace it."

I also disagree, I think that if it depicted Ishar than she would have mentioned the three moons, not one blue disc. He also doesn't appear to be hovering.

3 minutes ago, shadowwisp said:

Not my revolution, saw it on reddit but what if the strata are like wires!? Wires that instead of conducting electricity, conduct Stormlight from the main power core to room to room!  

I've been positing this for a while and I'm totally on board with that:

Edited by The Invested Beard

6 minutes ago, shadowwisp said:

Not my revolution, saw it on reddit but what if the strata are like wires!? Wires that instead of conducting electricity, conduct Stormlight from the main power core to room to room!  

It also is an idea, that I had.

The highstorms act as a power generator, while that big old pillar acts as an high-capacity battery - maybe it classifies as a fabrial -, which somehow, maybe through another fabrial, which hangs underneath Urithiru, gets charged and the strata act like power lines distributing the Stormlight.

Like how home solar collector installations work. Solar panels on the roof -> charge battery -> energy is distributed by wires in the house.

Edited by SLNC

Wow!  What great chapters!  Initial thoughts:

I am in the camp that Shallan and Renarin sense the unmade because of illumination.  Why does Mraize sense it? His Aviar? 

Furthermore, since this seems to be the "lightweavers unmade," can Renarin sense it because of the surge of illumination or because of a shared surge with Shallan (which just happens to be illumination)?  In the first case Jasnah (or any other elsecaller) would not be able to sense it, and in the second she would? 

Renarin, however, knowing the name is I believe due to his Truthwatcher status.

Speaking of Renarin, we got plenty of him, plenty of Bridge Four, plenty of him as part of Bridge Four, and still got him as Radiant!  All with being a minor character in the two chapters!

Speaking of Mraize, I remember his last scene in WOR:

"You seem to think that your newfound place among the Radiants makes you unfit for our numbers, but I see it differently, as does my babsk. Let Shallan Davar be Radiant, conformist, and noble. Let Veil come to us."

And I remember yelling, "You don't know what you are talking about Mraize!" (he didn't answer).  But, now seeing Shallan with her multiple personas and her desperation to keep Veil from Adolin, well, I don't know.  I don't have a theory, just a general creepiness.

1 minute ago, Ramza1890 said:

Man, when Shallan has 9 different personalities exactly this forum is going to lose it's mind.

Knowing Brandon, her 7th, 8th and 9th personality will all come about quickly in the final few chapters, and we'll have 3 years of theory crafting regarding Shallan=Odium's Champion.

Only for the first chapter of book 4 to reveal a 10th and 11th.

2 minutes ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

Knowing Brandon, her 7th, 8th and 9th personality will all come about quickly in the final few chapters, and we'll have 3 years of theory crafting regarding Shallan=Odium's Champion.

If that were the case then I wouldn't visit this forum after I finished book 3 until they started releasing book 4 chapters.

3 minutes ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

No, it'll remain at 10, and she becomes the champion of Roshar. Then, she uses each of her personalities to defeat an Unmade for good, and then she uses all ten to defeat the champion.

Edited by Leyrann

Haven't read the comments yet but -

I think each Order has a corresponding Unmade. Except, IIRC, there are only 9 Unmade, which leaves one Order short. 

My theory is that whatever Order doesn't have a Spren that was corrupted and turned will be the one to send the Champion who will fight Odium's champion. Odium's Champion had nine shadows in the vision Dalinar saw. Maybe the Champion him/herself will become bonded to all the Unmade? We saw they can replace and take over an existing bond, so perhaps the Champion will be a corrupted Radiant. 

Do you think maybe the Unmade were originally Radiant spren rather then regular ones? If so, then the most likely Order to not have one of theirs become Unmade/corrupt seems to be the Bondsmiths, as they have only three members at any time. 

So maybe Dalinar will be Honor's Champion?

Sorry this post is so jumbled. I'm having a hard time putting my thoughts in writing...-_-

Edit- 

Now that I started going over the thread, I can see people already suggested this theory in a far more comprehensive way LOL

Edited by Musica

1 hour ago, Stark said:

And that is the feel I have as well.  Each Desolation got progressively worse, with more Unmade at each one.  Could be wrong, but the first desolation having one, seductive unmade, and more with each subsequent one, as each Herald broke in turn.

This is of course entirley contigent on there having been only nine desolations so far, and one Herald breaking for each in turn.  Neither of which is officially confirmed.

Ten Desolations possibly since we don't necesserily need a Herald to break to trigger the first since that could have been before the Oathpact (Otherwise one of the Heralds needs to break under Torture before they have a reason to undergo it) and then one breaks per interval.

8 minutes ago, SLNC said:

Another thing... Didn't Shallan now finish Mraize's assignment? That means we'll probably soon know what Mraize knows about Helaran.

Or at least, what Mraize wants Shallan to know. But I suspect he'll be reasonably honest in this case as a reward.

By turning it into an "event", it does suggest it's going to be something significant, at least for Shallan. I wonder if this event will be the last chapter of Part 1...

Hopefully Mraize starts explaining a bit about what the Ghostbloods are up to as well.