[OB] Dalinar loses the honorblade

Head Crabs

Just now, Subvisual Haze said:

Oh interesting, maybe this explains why Nale can use his Honorblade but still somehow not be part of the Oathpact.  There might be two different modes for the sword: 1) burn your own stormlight, gains access to surges but not much else 2) use Honor as an external power source, gain some crazy Herald powers we haven't had explained to us yet.

I don't think any of them are exempt from the Oathpact.
I just think they haven't died since the Last Desolation.
I assume that if they died, they would find themselves back under torture.

I have no actual evidence for this other than the WoB that the Oathpact isn't as broken as the Heralds thought.

3 minutes ago, Wreith said:

I don't think any of them are exempt from the Oathpact.
I just think they haven't died since the Last Desolation.
I assume that if they died, they would find themselves back under torture.

I have no actual evidence for this other than the WoB that the Oathpact isn't as broken as the Heralds thought.

I agree. There's 2 or 3 WoBs where Brandon says that the Oathpact isn't as broken as the Heralds think/believe/want. 

There's also ones that say that the Heralds can't Surgebind without their Blades, but that this doesn't mean they don't have other powers. 

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/6956-my-signing-questions/?do=findComment&comment=115763

Rybal

Can the Heralds Surgebind without their [Honor]Blades, and if not are they under the same restrictions the Radiants are?

Brandon Sanderson

[...] I will say that the Heralds without their Blades are incapable of the powers you are familiar with. It doesn't mean there aren't other things they can do, but they are incapable of the powers you are familiar with throughout the book.

So the blades don't grant the Heralds additional abilities.

4 minutes ago, Subvisual Haze said:

Yeah, it seemed important in the prologue though that Ishar had them all leave their honorblades behind.  As if that was tied into the Oathpact somehow.

As a symbol, it definitely was. And I think that they do believe stepping away from the blades freed them. I just don't think they're correct. 

28 minutes ago, Knight Oblivion said:

Graendal? How did she get to Roshar or the Cosmere?

Megan, a.k.a. Firefight, helped transport her across realities...

Edited by Stark
I know Reckoners is not Cosmere....

On 02/11/2017 at 9:43 PM, mariapapadia said:

well.. what if a mink or a creature that likes to go through pipes/ vents/ walls ( the basilisk:ph34r:) takes it? we saw in tuesday chapters that they like the ventilation tunnels. 

Well, Yunno Scrya is known for a] that form and b] being a slightly less than completely legal interstellar extreme threat xenoarcheologist with an interest in man portable superweapons.

916837-bigthumbnail.jpg

Other than that him can't think of any mustelids who'd be interested.

Maybe Kenjirou Isshiki while he was a plush toy sea otter.

On 11/3/2017 at 11:22 AM, Calderis said:

I don't have a publicly available source for this one, but it's from Boskone.

If you know what signing it's from, a source in Events and Signings is 35 seconds away at most(unless you're on mobile).  "Friday Signing" Spoiler Tag, [4:22] Entry.

On 11/3/2017 at 1:32 PM, Subvisual Haze said:

Yeah, it seemed important in the prologue though that Ishar had them all leave their honorblades behind.  As if that was tied into the Oathpact somehow.

They got the Honorblades from Honor himself, IIRC. Even if Ishar's wrong, thinking that the blades tied them to the Pact is a reasonable assumption. At worst, it's them symbolically giving up their responsibility(like a sheriff handing in his badge).

On 11/3/2017 at 11:02 AM, Head Crabs said:

I thought about midnight mother as a possible thief but disregarded it. I don't think it would be possible for Spren of Odium to interact or use something that grants Investiture directly from Honor. 

Picking up a sword is not interacting with Investiture of Honor. Using the power the blade grants is probably not something the Unmade could do, but picking up the blade is totally within reason. If the blade can make contact with them, they can make contact with it.

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Dalinar loses the honorblade
  • Chaos locked this topic