10 minutes ago, MasterJack said:

How long is it going to take you guys to read Oathbringer? Just trying to gauge how long I'll need to stay off the forums after I start reading.

I tend to read really fast. This book being longer than the others, I expect to be through it in less than two weeks.
That said, spoilers are supposed to be noted for six months after release, I believe.

Just now, Wreith said:

I tend to read really fast. This book being longer than the others, I expect to be through it in less than two weeks.
That said, spoilers are supposed to be noted for six months after release, I believe.

I prefer to read a little slower and absorb everything. Also I feel I get more out of it when I take my time. Also having not read the sample chapters, (and not wanting too) it will probably take me longer than everyone who has read those chapters.

Thanks for the heads up on the spoilers thing, good to know. Do you happen to know where that thread is at? Just want to double-check so I don't stumble on something I didn't want to know.

3 minutes ago, MasterJack said:

Thanks for the heads up on the spoilers thing, good to know. Do you happen to know where that thread is at? Just want to double-check so I don't stumble on something I didn't want to know.

It's in the site rules

For an individual book or series forum, spoiler tags must always be used if one is referencing another series (like, if someone is posting in Mistborn, but referencing Stormlight Archive). However, if a book in that series has been out more than six months, spoilers are now permitted in that forum without needing to be tagged. So, for example, there would be a window where Alloy of Law spoilers require a spoiler notification, but a few months later, that would no longer be a problem.

Well, depending on whether I can get out of all my responsiblities, Oathbringer will probably take me around 1-3 days, for a quick read to get all the awesome new stuff. Then, there’ll be a slower, in-depth read to get most of the hints I missed the first time. And then another to get more hints. And more, and more...

5 minutes ago, Wreith said:

It's in the site rules

Thanks for the quote on the rules, that really helps!

@Nashan'Elin that's crazy that you read that fast! Good for you! I can't stand reading for more than an hour at a time, I prefer to digest the info slowly.

Edited by MasterJack

For me, the hard part will be going back and reading part 1 in physical format, to see everything coherently, and in order.  And finding the time to do it.  I tend to read pretty fast, but when I'm this excited about a book, I tend to read too fast and miss details.  SO my first read will be rushed, and my second read immediately after will be more leisurely...

If I read all out I could finish it in about 10 to 12 hours of reading... It will probably take me 3 to 4 times that though. If I read at speed, I will enjoy it, and but I won't retain anything for longer than a couple weeks 

Edited by Calderis

Since I work Sunday-Thursday and Oathbringer comes out on Tuesday, I'll probably finish around the Friday or Saturday of that week. Like Calderis, I need to pace if I'm going to retain everything. 

I could theoretically read Oathbringer in 5-6 hours, but I'd miss all but the most basic plot. It will probably take me 10-12 hours to read it, although since I'm going to skim through part 1 and mostly just look at the illustrations, it's probably going to be closer to 8-10 hours.

Last year when I discovered WoK and WoR, I read during English class. The teacher never took my book since she made a point of taking phones when they were out, and books didn’t count. This year the teacher is different, but I hope I can still read at the blistering pace of...three weeks.

4 hours ago, podman36 said:

I can probably finish it in about two days, but with Tor... I'll say one or two.

Also, when I say one or two days, I don't mean 24-48 hours. I mean in the span of two days.

Theoretically, 1 day. When actually doing things like sleeping, 2 days. But this is when I don't have anything I need to do for other things, if I do, I can't be entirely sure, but it will probably land between 4 days and a week.

I plan on being at the release party. Get book between 10pm-11pm Monday night (depending on the lines) then wait for a personalization (hopefully done by midnight) then head home to read... I hope to finish up by early afternoon on Tuesday. My first read is always a speed read because I want to know how the story goes. I'll re-read between 2-5 times before book 4 so I don't worry about missing little details the first run through.

Edited by CaptainRyan

It takes me a while to get through a book of this size and actually enjoy the read. If I read too fast I miss too many details. I spent about 3 weeks on tWoK and also about 3 weeks on WoR. I'll read a lot over Thanksgiving break while I'm off work (I work at a college), so I'll probably finish this one in about 2-3 weeks like the other ones.