[OB] Guesses on which main character misses Part Two

WhiteLeeopard

Which main character will miss Part Two?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which main character will miss Part Two?

• Dalinar
    • Kaladin
    • Shallan

I'm guessing Shallan because Kal's story in part 1 has been a bit lacking, I think it's going to pick up in part 2 rather than giving us a break from him. I'm going to guess, however, that Jasnah is going to show up in Urithiru at the end of part 1, and we're going to see Shallan's story continue through her viewpoint as 'Tertiary Character 3' in part 2.

I actually think the structure of the book has been changed a little since that chart was released.Because we had Adolin chapters in the first part and I would consider him a tertiary character the way the story is told now. 

My guess would also be Shallan because I feel we got a pretty good wrap up of her investigation so far and that will take a backseat for a while.

Edited by mariapapadia

I'm guessing Shallan is the missing POV. The pink and blue colors make me think female/Lightweaver and male/Windrunner. Also her first arc seems to be at a good stopping point as of the last chapter.

Isn't Part 2 supposed to include odd POVs? Perhaps something to do with the parshmen? Tertiary character three may play a role in that... maybe it's Eshonai.

I'm really split on who it will be, as I could see solid arguments made for all three. I went with Kaladin, but it could be Shallan or Dalinar and just have their stories continue from other povs. Imagine if Dalinar continued from the pov of the monarchs or the highprinces for example, would be interesting. I know some will say Dalinar is the main character, but I'm not convinced of that, after all flashback character doesn't mean it has to be main character of the book.

Now for Kaladin...I believe he will be back in Urithiru, as I remember a two long line excerpt Brandon read from Part Two which sounded an awful lot like a member of Bridge 4 learning to use surges. And I suppose Kaladin's story could be told for one part from the pov of Bridge 4. 

Whoever it is, I think they will be on the story, just not have povs. Or maybe a small pov since as said above there have been a lot of edits done since this chart was posted, therefore its just a rough guide and not something to be taken verbatim.

It's not going to be Dalinar, I don't think, because he's the primary main character; and Shallan's right there in Urithiru so I don't think it'll be here. To my mind, it's most likely that Kaladin goes off the grid for a while because he's with the parshmen and unable to get in touch with anybody, which will set up a dramatic arrival at some point later in the story.

32 minutes ago, Harry the Heir said:

It's not going to be Dalinar, I don't think, because he's the primary main character; and Shallan's right there in Urithiru so I don't think it'll be here. To my mind, it's most likely that Kaladin goes off the grid for a while because he's with the parshmen and unable to get in touch with anybody, which will set up a dramatic arrival at some point later in the story.

This. The books is called Oathbringer. Meanwhile Shallan's had a pretty major arc in the first section while Kal is barely there. It makes sense to drop Shallan, give Kal more space to have an Arc outside Urithiru so we can see more of the world, and do the same with maybe Jasnah(probably in the interludes), Szeth(the most likely), or Lift. 

1 hour ago, mariapapadia said:

I actually think the structure of the book has been changed a little since that chart was released.Because we had Adolin chapters in the first part and I would consider him a tertiary character the way the story is told now. 

My guess would also be Shallan because I feel we got a pretty good wrap up of her investigation so far and that will take a backseat for a while.

The plan did not change. Adolin is not on the plan because he owns no chapter, his viewpoints have been inserted within other characters chapters and, as such, it does not appear onto the paln.

1 hour ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

I'm really split on who it will be, as I could see solid arguments made for all three. I went with Kaladin, but it could be Shallan or Dalinar and just have their stories continue from other povs. Imagine if Dalinar continued from the pov of the monarchs or the highprinces for example, would be interesting. I know some will say Dalinar is the main character, but I'm not convinced of that, after all flashback character doesn't mean it has to be main character of the book.

Now for Kaladin...I believe he will be back in Urithiru, as I remember a two long line excerpt Brandon read from Part Two which sounded an awful lot like a member of Bridge 4 learning to use surges. And I suppose Kaladin's story could be told for one part from the pov of Bridge 4. 

Whoever it is, I think they will be on the story, just not have povs. Or maybe a small pov since as said above there have been a lot of edits done since this chart was posted, therefore its just a rough guide and not something to be taken verbatim.

Dalinar is not skipping any parts, we already know this. So he's off the table.

Based from what we know, Part 2 is supposed to be different. The story is supposedly narrated in a different way and it includes a new viewpoint characters of importance. My guess is Kaladin is missing which isn't to say we won't see him. We will, but not through his viewpoints. Another idea I have had is Part 2 has various POV from Bridge 4, not always the same, but they serve to tell the same narrative moving forward.

So this seems a perfect point to enter into the forum life (had an account for ages, never used it).

Brandon said in that reddit post that the primary character who was not in Part 4, but is now, has fewer chapters in all the parts. I don't think that's
Shallan. She has lots of POV as it is, ending at a big scene.

So I'm 90% sure that Shallan will miss Part 2 as a POV, while Kaladin has a decreased presence in all the first three parts. Hence I predict that no parts will end
with a Kaladin cliffhanger until the book' end.

Think I've read some ideas before that the tertiary character that is heavily involved in Part 2 could be Moash. I'm personally hoping Part 2 kinda picks up where Edgedancer left off, but I feel like that storyline is just going to take place in Interludes.  

Based on how the story has gone so far, I feel like Kaladin would take the back seat in Part 2. Shallan has just been doing too much recently to abruptly stop at the end of Part 1, and I don't see Dalinar's story ever taking a backseat in this book. He's the main focus this time around. 

Shallan. 

She just closed a nice little Arc, and Kaladin's story has been sparse during the travel leading up to the Parshmen's gathering place. 

So I think he'll reach there and his first arc will actually start. 

We'll still get bits of Shallan through Dalinar's PoV in Urithiru.

Edited by Calderis

1 hour ago, zoz-if-poz said:

So this seems a perfect point to enter into the forum life (had an account for ages, never used it).

Brandon said in that reddit post that the primary character who was not in Part 4, but is now, has fewer chapters in all the parts. I don't think that's
Shallan. She has lots of POV as it is, ending at a big scene.

So I'm 90% sure that Shallan will miss Part 2 as a POV, while Kaladin has a decreased presence in all the first three parts. Hence I predict that no parts will end
with a Kaladin cliffhanger until the book' end.

This is great insight. Brandon said so much on Reddit, it is hard to keep track of every single words. I would however agree, if the interpretation of his words is the right one, it seems to indicate Shallan might be skipping Part 2, but Kaladin will have fewer chapters within the parts. Then again, this got me thinking... How many chapters did Kaladin get in Part 1 with respect to Shallan? Her story arc started late and while Kaladin's chapters were small, they were frequent, up until the last two weeks.

So huh, if anyone has counted the number of perspective for each character, now is the right time to post it :P

I also agree with other people saying reading Shallan's arc drop done to nothing seems odd, but it may be we'll be seeing a lot of her through other people's perspective. It'd be great if it were Adolin, but he has no viewpoints in Part 2.

@maxal I put in the hard labor and counted the chapter POVs:

• Dalinar: 7 (chapters 1/2/4/12/16/24/28)
  • Dalinar Flashback: 4 (chapters 3/11/19/26)
  • Shallan: 11 (chapters 8/9/13/15/18/21/22/25/27/29/30)
  • Kaladin: 8 (chapters 5/6/7/10/14/17/20/23)
  • Adolin: 2 partials (chapters 2/10)

There are two chapters left in part 1. I feel like Shallan's arc for part 1 is complete, so I'm guessing the next two chapters will be Dalinar and/or Kaladin. I hope Dalinar's is related to the shared visions and he can sway some leaders over to his side, so we get some oathgates opening soon. Kaladin's chapter may involve the Parshmen arriving at the gathering outside Kholinar. This could also lead to the Kholinar oathgate opening if we're lucky. I'm really looking forward to travel opening up between Urithiru and other parts of Roshar.

6 minutes ago, Starla said:

@maxal I put in the hard labor and counted the chapter POVs:

• Dalinar: 7 (chapters 1/2/4/12/16/24/28)
  • Dalinar Flashback: 4 (chapters 3/11/19/26)
  • Shallan: 11 (chapters 8/9/13/15/18/21/22/25/27/29/30)
  • Kaladin: 8 (chapters 5/6/7/10/14/17/20/23)
  • Adolin: 2 partials (chapters 2/10)

There are two chapters left in part 1. I feel like Shallan's arc for part 1 is complete, so I'm guessing the next two chapters will be Dalinar and/or Kaladin. I hope Dalinar's is related to the shared visions and he can sway some leaders over to his side, so we get some oathgates opening soon. Kaladin's chapter may involve the Parshmen arriving at the gathering outside Kholinar. This could also lead to the Kholinar oathgate opening if we're lucky. I'm really looking forward to travel opening up between Urithiru and other parts of Roshar.

So Kaladin and Shallan are practically neck and neck as I too think the last two chapters will be Dalinar/Kaladin.

1 hour ago, Andy92 said:

Some of the Kaladin chapters had super short word counts though. Dalinar/Shallan really dominated the first section of the book imo. 

Some of Shallan's chapters were very short as well. I don't know if the relative difference in word count would be much different from the relative difference in chapter count overall.

35 minutes ago, kari-no-sugata said:

Some of Shallan's chapters were very short as well. I don't know if the relative difference in word count would be much different from the relative difference in chapter count overall.

Shallan also had 3 more chapters than Kaladin. My memory is probably a bit skewed on this one though because Kaladin's longer chapters happened early in the chapter releases. Haven't read a Kaladin PoV in a few weeks, and the last couple PoV chapters for him were shorter than his first 6-ish. 

Not complaining or anything, but I feel like Kaladin got less focus in Part 1 than both Shallan and Dalinar. But part of Dalinar's focus was the flashback chapters, so Dalinar and Kaladin were probably about even if you don't count the flashbacks. 

Im pretty sure it will be Kaladin. Nothing in shown Shallan and Dalinar parts 1 hints on their disappear in part 2. Kaladin line on other hand probably gonna end on "Oh shet" cliffhanger moment. Then we hear nothing about him in Part 2 and in Part 3 we see him... god knwo in what shape. Hope Voibringers wont hurt or change him.

Edited by Harbour

40 minutes ago, kari-no-sugata said:

Very different. Kal hasn't had a real story yet. Shallan has had a whole arc and handled a huge danger. Kal has what? Hung out with some reawakened parshmen and come to zero conclusions about what to do? He had a lot early on that was mostly resolving stuff from the last book. 

1 hour ago, Marethyu316 said:

I think Brandon said that he spread out the storyline of one of the characters over 5 parts, which meant they would have less chapters per part. That would seem to be the case with Kaladin so far, so I'm guessing it will be Shallan who isn't in Part 2.

On this, Brandon also said most of Kaladin's story arc in WoR wasn't supposed to happen until book 3. It thus accounts for why Kaladin had such a strong presence in WoR and why he doesn't, so far, in OB. I am still betting on him not getting viewpoints in part 2 though I do not think it means we won't see him, it just won't be from his perspective.

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Guesses on which main character misses Part Two
  • Chaos locked this topic