What do Siah Aimians have in common with Elsecallers?

Stark

Hey all,

I am working my way through my reread of The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance in preparation for release day, and I have stumbled upon something I thought might be noteworthy, but could be entirely coincidental.  In the Axies interlude of WOK, it is mentioned that one of the many things that separates Axies, and Siah Aimians in general, from the human population is that their shadow extends towards light sources, not away.

In Jasnah's prologue for WoR, when she is having what may well be her first interaction with Ivory, she notices her shadows extending toward the light, not away.  This causes her no small amount of panic and terminates in her first(?), unintentional trip into Shadesmar.

Does this indicate a relation between Siah Aimians and Elsecallers, or is Ivory (who always, so far, appears ink black in the PR) non-verbally trying to teach Jasnah that she has a link to Stormlight by extending himself, disguised as her shadow, towards the gemstones?  Or is it somewhere in between?

4 minutes ago, Stark said:

Hey all,

I am working my way through my reread of The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance in preparation for release day, and I have stumbled upon something I thought might be noteworthy, but could be entirely coincidental.  In the Axies interlude of WOK, it is mentioned that one of the many things that separates Axies, and Siah Aimians in general, from the human population is that their shadow extends towards light sources, not away.

In Jasnah's prologue for WoR, when she is having what may well be her first interaction with Ivory, she notices her shadows extending toward the light, not away.  This causes her no small amount of panic and terminates in her first(?), unintentional trip into Shadesmar.

Does this indicate a relation between Siah Aimians and Elsecallers, or is Ivory (who always, so far, appears ink black in the PR) non-verbally trying to teach Jasnah that she has a link to Stormlight by extending himself, disguised as her shadow, towards the gemstones?  Or is it somewhere in between?

This is an attribute of anyone experiencing an incomplete transition to the cognitive realm.
Jasnah experiences it before she transitions.

Axies is always partially in the cognitive, as is Lift and we have WoB that something's up with Lift's shadow, I just don't think we've seen it onscreen.

13 minutes ago, Wreith said:

This is an attribute of anyone experiencing an incomplete transition to the cognitive realm.

Can you provide a WOB on this?  I don't remember any mention of anything weird happening with Lift's shadow, or Shallan's for that matter.

And in that case, are the Siah Aimians always partially transitioned into the CR?

13 minutes ago, Stark said:

Can you provide a WOB on this?

INTERVIEW: Sep 23rd, 2016

Out of Excuses 2016 (Paraphrased)

QUESTION

Does Lift’s shadow behave abnormally with respect to the sun or infused spheres?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, there is something going on with her shadow, but no specifics given.

edit: It might not effect Shallan, as she's not actually entering the CR just peeking. Not sure about her

Edited by Wreith

• Chaos locked this topic