[OB] I'd like a spoiler answer in yes/no form plz (Recreance)

eltari

I'm still 500 pages from the end, and with a newborn, it's going to take me awhile yet to finish and I'm dying for the answer that was teased a number of times.

Do we find out what caused the Recreance?  I just want to know if I can stop thinking about it while I'm at work lol.

An explanation is given. It is certainly the reason the listeners/Parshendi were, and are, motivated to fight humans by bonding with Voidspren.

It's one that several people have already promoted as a theory in the history of Roshar in general, not specifically as a reason for the mass oathbreaking of Radiants.

But I'll note that it's quite possible that this is not THE reason for the Recreance, just A Thing That Is Surprisingly Upsetting to the main human characters, and raises questions in Kaladin's mind in particular as to What Is The Right Course of Action Now? For all we know, the original KRs knew or suspected this all along, and the Recreance we saw happening in one of Dalinar's visions has little or nothing to do with the revelation.

After all, this is Brandon Sanderson we're talking about as the author, and it's book 3 of 10.

And there is Always Another Secret.

1 hour ago, Nepene said:

The knights radiant were apparently surprisingly emotionally fragile, but yes why find why they fell.

Not really. Honor told each batch of Knights, the difference in the last time being he was dying

Spoiler

and was rant raving at them about how they're basically all terrible. That would be a pretty morality shattering thing to hear from your own god.

Edited by Tetrisash

We do find The Secret That Broke The Knights Radiant (tm).  As usual in Brandon's books, it creates more questions than it answers, although parts of it are quite incredible and have not been foreseen on the fora (at least I've not seen any theories that predicted it).

13 hours ago, Xavien said:

@eltari Congrats on the newborn! My son was born Oct 30th so I feel you, I ended up taking the late night feeding shift from my wife in order to read :) 

@Xavien

Thank you. Daughter is 7 weeks tomorrow. And yeah, my wife has been letting me get some time in so I can read. Daughter likes to get mad anytime I read 3 sentances lol.

• Chaos locked this topic