[OB] Who I see when I read Oathbringer

bdoble97

I'm totally not double posting here (you can tell that I'm not because I explicitly state that I'm not), but I think these casting calls are really good, here's a link to my post that's on page one:

It's totally worth checking out just to see Hercule-Son-Son-Poirot (for realsies).

1 hour ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

I'm totally not double posting here (you can tell that I'm not because I explicitly state that I'm not), but I think these casting calls are really good, here's a link to my post that's on page one:

It's totally worth checking out just to see Hercule-Son-Son-Poirot (for realsies).

I sense some sarcasm in this post

9 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

Parshendi- my own drawings hahah I know they're not that great but I only been drawing for less than a year so bare with me please. Also I don't know why the hell they always get uploaded with the picture on it side extremely annoying

Those are rad! The carapace skulls are really well done, and how their brows go directly into their nose is an awesome design. I especially like the first one, and would love to see a front view of that Parshendi.

5 minutes ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Those are rad! The carapace skulls are really well done, and how their brows go directly into their nose is an awesome design. I especially like the first one, and would love to see a front view of that Parshendi.

Thank you very much a front view is a lot harder to do than a profile drawing. My favorite part to do is the carapace skulls.  I have tried to do the marble skin but I only use number 2 pencils and really don't know how to figure that out

32 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

I have tried to do the marble skin but I only use number 2 pencils and really don't know how to figure that out

Do you have Photoshop? If you do you can set your sketch up as the top layer, and set its layer mode to multiply. Then you can add color on layers below your sketch (it's kind of like painting over a sketch with watercolors, except with unlimited undos). I did a quick marble color study using your sketch above, I think your Parshendi design is freaking awesome!

5a283a068dccb_ParshendiSketch_Coloredcopy.jpg.90527beff141abc054f1071dd192afae.jpg

The beard-esque marbling on side of the jaw is probably too much, but if you do have Photoshop you can easily try out a ton of different marbling patterns.

1 minute ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Do you have Photoshop? If you do you can set your sketch up as the top layer, and set its layer mode to multiply. Then you can add color on layers below your sketch (it's kind of like painting over a sketch with watercolors, except with unlimited undos). I did a quick marble color study using your sketch above, I think your Parshendi design is freaking awesome!

5a283a068dccb_ParshendiSketch_Coloredcopy.jpg.90527beff141abc054f1071dd192afae.jpg

The beard-esque marbling on side of the jaw is probably too much, but if you do have Photoshop you can easily try out a ton of different marbling patterns.

Dude you just made my day. No I do not have Photoshop and I don't buy any stuff for myself  I have 4 daughters so all my extra cash goes to them. I'm happy you like it dude I'm doing this one right now. The one that you like and colored was supposed to be Rlain I just don't know how they really do the uncut gemstones and their beards it's kind of difficult I'm trying to figure out a way right now and this one to put where the mustaches darker in color make that look like it's braided into a gemstone but it's probably going to look nothing like it hahaha

20171206_135105.jpg

4 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

I have 4 daughters so all my extra cash goes to them.

Ahhh, that's so sweet! I have 2 daughters and I've found out that there is no such thing as EXTRA cash, it has to stay around for awhile to be considered extra I think.

You could get one of your daughters a Copic marker set for Christmas and then borrow them or have your daughters try and figure out how to do the marble skin patterns. I would suggest a set that has lots of shades of gray and red of course. They look pretty awesome going over a pencil drawings, here's a sample of what it looks like (this is from a thumbnail sketch of an exploded Lytro camera for Make: magazine):

Lytro_Comp_CustomGlassDistort.jpg.2bbfe2849cd6d2b33f51be05ba7ba7d8.jpg

The Copic marker's pick up the lead from your sketch and kind of blend it. The effect is pretty awesome, and if you have 3 or 4 shades of gray you can do some pretty subtle shading.

I love that last sketch you posted! The faceted, crystal like ridges that simulate the rough shape of hair looks great. As to how to draw the rough cut stones interwoven into the Parsh beards, I would just think of them like beads in dreadlocks:

tumblr_m7l39uwOJv1r7qd0lo1_1280.jpg

3 minutes ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Ahhh, that's so sweet! I have 2 daughters and I've found out that there is no such thing as EXTRA cash, it has to stay around for awhile to be considered extra I think.

You could get one of your daughters a Copic marker set for Christmas and then borrow them or have your daughters try and figure out how to do the marble skin patterns. I would suggest a set that has lots of shades of gray and red of course. They look pretty awesome going over a pencil drawings, here's a sample of what it looks like (this is from a thumbnail sketch of an exploded Lytro camera for Make: magazine):

Lytro_Comp_CustomGlassDistort.jpg.2bbfe2849cd6d2b33f51be05ba7ba7d8.jpg

The Copic marker's pick up the lead from your sketch and kind of blend it. The effect is pretty awesome, and if you have 3 or 4 shades of gray you can do some pretty subtle shading.

I love that last sketch you posted! The faceted, crystal like ridges that simulate the rough shape of hair looks great. As to how to draw the rough cut stones interwoven into the Parsh beards, I would just think of them like beads in dreadlocks:

tumblr_m7l39uwOJv1r7qd0lo1_1280.jpg

Great idea 

20171206_141534.jpg

Rad! I really like what your doing with the Parsh eyes and eyebrow ridge. Kind of predator like, but more interesting. I think your sketches are great, but for the gemstones in the beard, I always visualized them as thinner dready strands. Just my two cents, the faceted gem like carapace ridges look outstanding too.

9 minutes ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Rad! I really like what your doing with the Parsh eyes and eyebrow ridge. Kind of predator like, but more interesting. I think your sketches are great, but for the gemstones in the beard, I always visualized them as thinner dready strands. Just my two cents, the faceted gem like carapace ridges look outstanding too.

Thanks man I'm so new to this stuff so any suggestions or critiques are more than welcomed

4 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

Thanks man I'm so new to this stuff so any suggestions or critiques are more than welcomed

Ok, here's what you should get your girls for Christmas

With the above set up you and your daughters can trace your original drawings infinitely and experiment with altering small details or can try out multiple different marbling patterns easily. That's four things on the list, one for each daughter. Hopefully they like to share!

2 hours ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Ok, here's what you should get your girls for Christmas

With the above set up you and your daughters can trace your original drawings infinitely and experiment with altering small details or can try out multiple different marbling patterns easily. That's four things on the list, one for each daughter. Hopefully they like to share!

Hahah! I would cry if someone else would ever touch my Copic markers :ph34r: I wouldn't necessarily recommend them for kids, as they are quite an investment, but there are a lot of alternatives out there, that won't make your soul hurt if one gets destroyed.

That being said.. Copic markers are one of the best products out there, so if you ever want to spoil yourself @bdoble97, that's a way to do it. Also, if you are interested, I would recommend you an youtube channel that focuses a lot on drawing characters and scenery! It's called Draw with Jazza and the guy is actually a Sanderson fan as well :D he has a lot of stuff on construction, proportions, colours and things like that ! 

2 hours ago, mariapapadia said:

Hahah! I would cry if someone else would ever touch my Copic markers :ph34r: I wouldn't necessarily recommend them for kids, as they are quite an investment, but there are a lot of alternatives out there, that won't make your soul hurt if one gets destroyed.

That being said.. Copic markers are one of the best products out there, so if you ever want to spoil yourself @bdoble97, that's a way to do it. Also, if you are interested, I would recommend you an youtube channel that focuses a lot on drawing characters and scenery! It's called Draw with Jazza and the guy is actually a Sanderson fan as well :D he has a lot of stuff on construction, proportions, colours and things like that ! 

Thanks so much going to go follow him now on YouTube 

Well there's an army of them so I'm just going to keep on adding my shell heads parshendie Warform. I would love to try to do a fuse but I don't think my drawing skills are at that point some of you may think my drawing skills are horrible I don't know hahaha. It's also just a cheap excuse to try to get more people to look at my heart if I keep on posting them

20171206_141534.jpg

20171207_135547.jpg

20171207_143802.jpg

On 12/6/2017 at 2:40 PM, mariapapadia said:

I let my girls use mine, the ink is refillable and the tips are replaceable. You essentially pay a lot for the plastic tube and color coded end cap.

I wish that Prismacolor markers were still being made, I like those a lot better (the Cerulean blue shades are amazing), but Copic is a pretty decent replacement (and the refillable feature is a bonus).

On 12/6/2017 at 11:33 AM, bdoble97 said:

There's one thing that you might look into getting, it's called the Famous Artists Course, it was a correspondence art school where incredibly talented illustrators and artists created lessons (like Norman Rockwell).

Here's a link, you can see the course outlines.

If you have a good used book store in your area it's totally worth asking them if they have any of these. They are ring bound lessons, and they summarize a lot of what I learned from art school incredibly well. The lessons on Perspective, Figure Drawing, and Clothing and Drapery folds are amazing.

Another thing you can do is if you live in a modestly sized city, you can probably find drop in figure drawing classes, where you pay a flat fee and have a live model that you draw from. There's no better way to learn how to draw then to actually do it, and studying the human figure in a variety of poses strengthens pretty much every drawing muscle you need.

I like the latest drawing by the way, the carapace heads look great!

8 minutes ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

I let my girls use mine, the ink is refillable and the tips are replaceable. You essentially pay a lot for the plastic tube and color coded end cap.

I wish that Prismacolor markers were still being made, I like those a lot better (the Cerulean blue shades are amazing), but Copic is a pretty decent replacement (and the refillable feature is a bonus).

There's one thing that you might look into getting, it's called the Famous Artists Course, it was a correspondence art school where incredibly talented illustrators and artists created lessons (like Norman Rockwell).

Here's a link, you can see the course outlines.

If you have a good used book store in your area it's totally worth asking them if they have any of these. They are ring bound lessons, and they summarize a lot of what I learned from art school incredibly well. The lessons on Perspective, Figure Drawing, and Clothing and Drapery folds are amazing.

Another thing you can do is if you live in a modestly sized city, you can probably find drop in figure drawing classes, where you pay a flat fee and have a live model that you draw from. There's no better way to learn how to draw then to actually do it, and studying the human figure in a variety of poses strengthens pretty much every drawing muscle you need.

I like the latest drawing by the way, the carapace heads look great!

Sweet dude thanks man. Ill be lookung into that book. Gope to do even more drawings tomorow

14 minutes ago, Tanner V said:

This is who I see when I imagine Dalinar. This is Haytham Kenway From Assasins Creed.

That's a good Dalinar, my first choice for Dalinar would be impractical, Jurgen Prochnow is 76 now, but take a look at how awesome he would be as Dalinar:

Dalinar.jpg.a13b6c19d46db264cfff301357cf601d.jpg

If I had to pick someone closer to an age where they could acutally play Dalinar, I would pick Gabriel Byrne, here's a recent pick from the fan site Byrneholics (pretty hilarious name for a fan site btw):

Dalinar2.jpg.8b7762e6f08ea95d2ff13aa6de72484a.jpg

You want someone that has the emotional Depth to pull of the Unity scene, and the flashbacks, holy crap Gabriel Byrne could do it.

5 minutes ago, WalksIntoMordor said:

don't have specific actors or actresses for a lot of characters.  But.

Iain Glen, aka Jorah Mormont from Game of Thrones, is the voice I hear when I read Dalinar's lines.

Hands down the best casting on an amazingly well casted show, holy crap that guy is an AMAZING Mormont. Totally not who I see for the role of Dalinar, but if he was cast as Dalinar I think he could make it work, he's an oustanding actor.