Stormlight adaptaion - movies, TV series or cartoon?

evanna

Inspired by a topic about Stormlight movie cast, I decided to start a different thread - what sort of TSA adaptation would you like to see the most, would it be movies, TV series or maybe a cartoon?

The idea comes from the fact that I can't imagine TSA as a movie at all. There's so much fantasy stuff there with flying and glowing in a first place, I just think it would be really hard to make it not look somewhat cheesy... I just wonder if it's just me :D 

What I would LOVE to see on the other hand, is a cartoon series. It's probably because I actually see TSA more as a cartoon in my head - I can't explain it, but Brandon's way of describing sets, characters poses and gestures mostly ends up in my head as an epic screenshot from some sort of anime or Avatar: The Last Airbender series. If I wasn't that lazy I could probably even draw a storyboard out of these books!

Anyway, I think that the style used in The Last Airbender would be the perfect match for TSA. I find them both quite similar in many ways - the unique world, the dark vibe, even a sense of humor. And if Thomas Bergersen was the one to write the soundtrack, my life would be complete :D 

Yeay, just imagine, how awesome would that be:

(found on pinterest: https://pl.pinterest.com/pin/337418197063999884/ )
cdd2f2cb6a27c31d75cf5aac6a76dc12.jpg
It always kills me :D 

I honestly think this is the best route for the Cosmere in general.  There is no place on Earth that will be able to replicate the alien landscape of the Shattered plains, or Roshar in General.  No location will be able to give us the ashmounts and semi-perpetual gloom of Scadrial.  Even getting the shadows to be consistent while filming in the desert to replicate Taldain is a ridiculous feat to accomplish.  

A friend of mine and I have been discussing this.  You either get poor replications, ghastly amounts of expensive CGI, or a handful of talented artists to animate the Cosmere.

I think this would be the safest way to approach the Cosmere, in animation.  You get the landscapes and set pieces, you don't have to worry about finding actors who poorly represent the Cosmere's diversity, you have greater facility showing the violence to the right degree, or not.  Same goes for the sexuality, which is not extensive, but is present, especially in Warbreaker.  

I fear for film or TV adaptations of these books.  Animated, or anime adaptations?  The idea of those give me a huge sigh of relief.  But I don't see the license holders going that route.  It would appeal to the core book fans, but if they are trying to get a large televised following of non-readers, it falls into a narrower niche.

Storms, I hope I'm wrong and they go animated.

I've always supported the animated Stormlight route, and I think the Avatar comparison is right on the money. 

Stormlight: The Animated Series. Featuring the voices of...

Kevin Conroy as Dalinar
W. Morgan Sheppard as Taravangian
Kevin Michael Richardson as Rock
Marina Sirtis as Navani
Claudia Christian as Jasnah
Keith David as Nale
Jennifer Hale as Ash
Jonathan Frakes as flashback Gavilar
Clancy Brown as the Stormfather

With special guest stars...

Spoiler

Patrick Stewart as Odium
Kate Mulgrew as Cultivation
Ron Perlman as Vasher
Mark Hamill as Ishar

2 hours ago, Ookla the Apostate said:

I've always supported the animated Stormlight route, and I think the Avatar comparison is right on the money. 

Stormlight: The Animated Series. Featuring the voices of...

Kevin Conroy as Dalinar
W. Morgan Sheppard as Taravangian
Kevin Michael Richardson as Rock
Marina Sirtis as Navani
Claudia Christian as Jasnah
Keith David as Nale
Jennifer Hale as Ash
Jonathan Frakes as flashback Gavilar
Clancy Brown as the Stormfather

With special guest stars...

Reveal hidden contents

Patrick Stewart as Odium
Kate Mulgrew as Cultivation
Ron Perlman as Vasher
Mark Hamill as Ishar

I think Matt Mercer would be a great Kaladin, honestly.

I agree that an animated series would be the best option for most of the cosmere. Most of the cosmere would end up with terrible CGI if it were a movie or live action show. But, I do think some of the cosmere novels could actually make a decent live action showing. Warbreaker would make a great movie and all they would really have to do for CGI is zombies, high contrast, and some flying scarves for awakening. Elantris could also make a good movie since makeup could be used for most of the movie with only a bit of CGI peppered in at the end. The only one that I could see as a good adaptation to a tv series is Wax and Wayne. The setting in Mistborn era 2 is relatively Earth-like, sure there are still mists at night but that wouldn't be hard to do with a fog machine and the ash mounts are gone so no ash to worry about. They could easily film it in the midwest. I think you are right about mistborn era 1 being impossible without a stupid amount of CGI that would end up cheesy. 
Unless we have a huge advancement in CGI tech in the next few years I would never want to see Stormlight in live action. It has to be animated, and I think you are right about the avatar style for it. I saw a live action fan casting for stormlight and they cast tom hiddleston as Wit, which I think is as close to perfect as I can think of

• Chaos locked this topic