Nightblood??

Gaz

I may just be too harsh on Szeth. Personally feel that is someone follows the law regardless of intent and does things they believe to be wrong because of the law that they in the wrong/weak willed so that's most likely skewing my view of Szeth. He clearly hates what he is doing but does it anyway just because it's his "law". Does it take strength or weakness to do that? I'm not sure :(

Living up to your principles always takes strength.  He may have different principles than you or me, but it doesn't change the fact that he's sacrificed a lot to uphold them.

I also say that Szeth is actually very strong-willed, but also kind of... let's say "stupid". Thought we don't know the details of his crime I think that punishment is absolutely absurd, it create a situation where the criminal suffers only if he is a good person, and unless the oathstone comes in the hands of a very wise and illuminated person it also creates suffering for other innocents(as it actually happens).

That said, IF you accept that punishment and consider it right, then sticking to it even when ordered to do something you abhor requires an iron will. you could almost say that that kind of dedication is what Kaladin learns in saying the 3rd ideal.

It is possible to be strong-willed in some instances and a coward in others. In this case, it required a very strong will to do what Szeth did, since he considered that to be the "honorable" thing to do. What was even harder -- and required more courage -- was to determine that what he had taken to be honorable was instead nothing of the kind and admit to the attrocities he had committed in the name of honor, believing that he was doing right.

• Chaos locked this topic