Anime

About FMAB speedrunning the beginning, I feel like that was on purpose. Like they got to animate this second version and went "Oh, they already watched that, let's skip it".

But yeah, 2003 is totally worth the watch. It isn't as good imo but that's the impressive thing. Imagine as a studio you get tasked with animating an incomplete work, standard fare, just finish the season and wait. But then they tell you "Actually, you can keep going. Just finish it however you like", and then manage to come up with something this good?

Makes no sense whatsoever. So much respect for that.

1 minute ago, Eluvianii said:

About FMAB speedrunning the beginning, I feel like that was on purpose. Like they got to animate this second version and went "Oh, they already watched that, let's skip it".

Yeah, this is what I heard too.

1 minute ago, Eluvianii said:

But yeah, 2003 is totally worth the watch. It isn't as good imo but that's the impressive thing. Imagine as a studio you get tasked with animating an incomplete work, standard fare, just finish the season and wait. But then they tell you "Actually, you can keep going. Just finish it however you like", and then manage to come up with something this good?

Makes no sense whatsoever. So much respect for that.

I'll totally go check it out at some point.

5 minutes ago, Wierdo said:

And, i'm waiting for more dungeon meshi-

Noiiiice, I'm currently in the process of reading the manga before season 2 comes out. Haven't watched the new trailer yet tho

4 minutes ago, The Bookwyrm said:

YAY MORE FMA PEOPLES

...I wish I was brave enough to write it.

I would write it, but if I had writing motivation I'd be working on other things.

EDIT: Oops, missed Eluvianii's post, yeah I've heard that before. Personally, as someone who had brotherhoods is my first introduction to the series, I didn't think the beginning was lacking, just a little oddly framed.

Edited by J. Magi

1 hour ago, J. Magi said:

STARK? MY BOY? (he's my favorite lol . . .)

But yeah, Fern is really great too! She's my brother's favorite actually. She's a great example of not needing a complicated concept to write a great character, I think.

yes, stark 😆

"Dungeon Meshi" is the Japanese title (yes, including the English word "dungeon") - anime fandoms tend to be very split about using Japanese titles vs. using the official English title.  Sometimes because the series gets popular before there's an official English title, sometimes because the English title is just awkward - (way easier to say "Oregairu" than "My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, as I Expected", for example) - and sometimes because anime people are just weird like that.  

Edited by Retsam

I try to stick to English names, but I spend too much time online and so it varies from show to show.  I do wish more shows just gave things short, simple English names, like "Erased" instead of Boku Dake ga Inai Machi (literally "the town without only me").

"Rascal does not dream of bunny girl senpai" for example is a phenomenal romance/supernatural show, but has an incredibly awkward title.  The upcoming season being called "Rascal does not dream of Santa Claus" is not better.  (Unrelated, the whole "bunny girl" aspect makes it seem ecchi but it's really not - it's just a plot point in the first arc)

9 hours ago, TheRavenHasLanded said:

also, whats up with calling delicious in dungeon dungeon-meshi?

8 hours ago, Retsam said:

"Dungeon Meshi" is the Japanese title (yes, including the English word "dungeon") - anime fandoms tend to be very split about using Japanese titles vs. using the official English title.  Sometimes because the series gets popular before there's an official English title, sometimes because the English title is just awkward - (way easier to say "Oregairu" than "My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, as I Expected", for example) - and sometimes because anime people are just weird like that.

From what time I've spent in the online fandom, I think the vast majority of people call it Dungeon Meshi--in fact, Raven your only the 2nd person I've ever come across that actually says 'Delicious in Dungeon.'

Delicious in Dungeon is a poor translation, probably messed with by translators so it seems more interesting. A correct translation of the title would be 'Dungeon Food.' I believe, a long with a lot of other people in the community that this fits a lot better.

Plus, Dungeon Meshi just rolls of the tounge nicer, you have to admit. 😅

I agree it's more split both ways in other fandoms, when it comes to the title.

3 hours ago, J. Magi said:

From what time I've spent in the online fandom, I think the vast majority of people call it Dungeon Meshi--in fact, Raven your only the 2nd person I've ever come across that actually says 'Delicious in Dungeon.'

Delicious in Dungeon is a poor translation, probably messed with by translators so it seems more interesting. A correct translation of the title would be 'Dungeon Food.' I believe, a long with a lot of other people in the community that this fits a lot better.

Plus, Dungeon Meshi just rolls of the tounge nicer, you have to admit. 😅

I agree it's more split both ways in other fandoms, when it comes to the title.

oh interesting. also, D in D. feels appropriate.

1 hour ago, TheRavenHasLanded said:

oh interesting. also, D in D. feels appropriate.

That's true, though it could lead to some confusion in the fantasy space.

9 minutes ago, TheRavenHasLanded said:

agreed. oh, and oshi no ko is super interesting. its like death note in terms of intrigue, but so far, much less death.

Sounds cool! I'll have to check it out.

Just now, TheRavenHasLanded said:

yeah. if you have a discord account, you can see my rants about kaguya lol.

Oh I do! Lol I just don't check the shard's discord that much. I'll send you my number when I get home so we can be friends.

Just now, TheRavenHasLanded said:

your number? or your username? mine is loscuervos. spanish for the ravens. because why not.

Each member has a number that you use to search them up I think, that's what I was referring to.