Anime

On 8/22/2024 at 9:46 PM, J. Magi said:

I'll have to add it to my (massive) tbr! I love Yor too lol

The site I use is fan-run and mostly fan-translations and I've never had a quality problem so *shrug*

Good! I'm glad to hear it. I guess I just had bad luck with the ones I found.

16 minutes ago, TheRavenHasLanded said:

kaguya dub is hilarious.

Yep. One of the best English dubs out there.

I watched the first episode of Mob Psycho 100 yesterday and it was fantastic . . . it'll probably be my next binge. Has anyone here seen it?

Spoiler

(also, I haven't started the Frieren manga yet, but I plan too--there aren't any super aesthetic stark pfp's from the anime so I did what I had to do lol)

26 minutes ago, J. Magi said:

I watched the first episode of Mob Psycho 100 yesterday and it was fantastic . . . it'll probably be my next binge. Has anyone here seen it?

Hide contents

(also, I haven't started the Frieren manga yet, but I plan too--there aren't any super aesthetic stark pfp's from the anime so I did what I had to do lol)

OH I HAVE ITS SO GOOD LOL.

Just now, TheRavenHasLanded said:

OH I HAVE ITS SO GOOD LOL.

Niiice. I've heard a lot of good things, and what I've seen is really promising.

I do have to watch it in dub, but I don't mind the voice acting the way I often do with dub.

4 minutes ago, TheRavenHasLanded said:

i actually like the dub of most anime. 

I started out watching sub because of what I had access to, and I've always had a hard time with dub afterword.

Maybe it's just a bias, but I swear the Japanese voice-acting is better and has more emotion in it, whereas the English voices feel out of place and sometimes don't fit the characters. That, and I like experiencing the 'art' closer to it's 'original' form. Like, maybe I don't speak Japanese but I can still feel the original emotion and line delivery that might get muddled in a dub.

But then, there are also dubs that are completely fine and I enjoy, so who knows.

Edited by J. Magi

2 minutes ago, J. Magi said:

I started out watching sub because of what I had access to, and I've always had a hard time with dub afterword.

Maybe it's just a bias, but I swear the Japanese voice-acting is better and has more emotion in it, whereas the English voices feel out of place and sometimes don't fit the characters. That, and I like experiencing the 'art' closer to it's 'original' form. Like, maybe I don't speak Japanese but I can still feel the original emotion and line delivery that might get muddled in a dub.

But then, there are also dubs that are completely fine and I enjoy, so who knows.

thats fair, its kinda the opposite for me, i started out with dub so thats kinda all i know.

Just now, TheRavenHasLanded said:

thats fair, its kinda the opposite for me, i started out with dub so thats kinda all i know.

I get that. Plus, it's hard to watch sub and multi-task on other stuff at the same time (except for maybe eating).

2 hours ago, J. Magi said:

my experience on sub vs dub has been 2 main hings:

1. if there are big enough differences between the voices, then whichever I watch first is my preferred because the second just sounds wrong. e.g. Goku in the DZ dub has a voice that is a LOT deeper than in the sub so the sub version just sounds off to me.

2. to your point above, I think it is also partly that it is easier to tell good voice acting from bad when it is in your own language. and when you can tell that it is bad, then it gets to b really grating.

4 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

my experience on sub vs dub has been 2 main hings:

1. if there are big enough differences between the voices, then whichever I watch first is my preferred because the second just sounds wrong. e.g. Goku in the DZ dub has a voice that is a LOT deeper than in the sub so the sub version just sounds off to me.

2. to your point above, I think it is also partly that it is easier to tell good voice acting from bad when it is in your own language. and when you can tell that it is bad, then it gets to b really grating.

Oh yeah, I 100% agree