[OB] Hmmmm (Pattern)

I always read Pattern's hums as, well, thoughtful and slightly sinister (now that I think about it I guess I mean alien, but it amounted to the same thing), but when I first heard the audiobook it sounded, well, cute. It completely changed the tone of almost every one of his conversations in the book. How did you read it?

3 hours ago, GiveMeASpren(I'mCrazy) said:

I always read Pattern's hums as, well, thoughtful and slightly sinister (now that I think about it I guess I mean alien, but it amounted to the same thing), but when I first heard the audiobook it sounded, well, cute. It completely changed the tone of almost every one of his conversations in the book. How did you read it?

I read it in the same way as the Audiobooks. I saw Pattern as innocent and unknowing how he spooked Shallan so much at the start. He was sent to study humans and is curious about everything. I've never gotten any hint of malice in his tones, just misunderstanding.

I always read them as a mix between a pleased or curious sound.  Pleased is closer to a humming sound - which fits the vibration mentioned to accompany him sometimes.  When it's more curious, it's a 'hmmm?' sound.  But mostly I view it as a pleased, almost purring hum.

20 hours ago, JoelyWoely said:

I read it in the same way as the Audiobooks. I saw Pattern as innocent and unknowing how he spooked Shallan so much at the start. He was sent to study humans and is curious about everything. I've never gotten any hint of malice in his tones, just misunderstanding.

But the "spooking Shallan" part didn't mean that the noises were alien to you. Did anyone read it like me?

I always imagined it between a cat purr, and... A ratchet. Not cute, not creepy... 

I think spooking Shallan had far more to do with the sound being unexpected, and Shallan's encounters previously with the Cryptics make hospital appearance a bit disturbing.

Add in that spren seem to just kind of be where ever they want without warning... And yeah. 

Pattern is one of my favorite characters at this point ...

I don't see anything scary except Shallan's first unexpected//unexplained visions of Pattern and obviously some other Crytic Spren there in the Library of all Libraries!

It would spook anyone ... but so would a very novel animal appearing in your garden!

• Chaos locked this topic