The Longest Thread (Misadventures)

He stood in front of the mirror, adjusting his bow-tie, a nervous smile on his face. Heir to Narration, Spook Von Kelsier, gazed at his reflection. Ah, the lengths he'd gone to get here... The Narrator nudged the charm bracelet on his wrist, rubbing a specific one of a sword. It was almost time. Thaidakar was going to introduce to most of the characters, avatars, potential narrators, beings, etc, who their Author had been Authoring or had been rooted to it to stay in this realm. For some reason, he felt like this was where he truly became a Narrator, when he truly became his father's heir. In the reflection of the mirror, the door opened and Thaidakar himself strode in confidently, wearing a sharp blood red tuxedo and fashionable shoes. How much Spook hated that man... that man for all he'd done to him, for all he'd done to TLT, for all he did. And, yet, somehow, he felt an ounce of love for the man who had deemed to call himself Spook's father, despite it all. Of course, Spook would never tell anyone that, but it was, still, truth. And, the Narrator thought absently, truth was the god he worshipped.

"You seem almost ready," Thaidakar said with a short, awkward smile. "They're ready to see you any moment... son."

"Don't call me that," Spook said sharply. "Just... just don't. Call me Spook or relation, if you must. Never 'son'. You lost the right to call me that long ago..." Spook grunted, fidgeting with the cuff of his suit.

"Don't monologue, someone might think you're a comic book villain or something," Thaidakar ordered naturally, ignoring what Spook had told him, in the arrogant way he talked to everyone, the way that made it seem like he assumed he was the best in the room. Spook wanted him to know he wasn't. "It's imperative that you impress them, otherwise they might eat you alive or something. They aren't fond of me, and since you're my son..."

"If they try, I can just tell them how much I hate you too," Spook said stiffly. "I'm not your son, for the last time."

"Fine, fine..." Thaidakar said, nodding as if he understood his son perfectly, which he didn't. The former vessel of Adonalsium adjusted his collar slightly, emeralds and rubies appearing in several locations upon his tux. The way he primped and preened, dressing in the pits of fashion... Spook despised him. "Still... are you ready for this?"

Spook hesitated, fingering the tip of the sword charm in his right index finger and middle finger. Finally, he nodded, "Yes, yes I am."

"Good... I'll introduce you first, then you come through the door, got it?" The arrogant fool asked, though not toned as such. Before his former son could answer, the Narrator strode out of the room, leaving Spook alone as half-hearted cheers erupted from behind the door.

Spook turned to a painting on the wall, one that he knew Thaidakar would avoid looking at... at all costs. It was of a woman, a woman who neither of them would talk about, much less to each other. 

Spook's mother and the love of Thaidakar's life. And the love of a former friend of Thaidakar's life. 

It was a sore subject, such as that it was never brought up before in TLT, and if anything similar to it was, it was probably a fabrication made to make the truth easy upon its narrator. A fact that was part of the reason why Spook worshipped truth before anything else. Truth reigned for him. Lies were his enemy. Thaidakar was his enemy.

Spook sighed, pouring some water from a basin that had been lying on a hutch, hugged against the wall, onto his head. With a small puff of Narration, a comb formed in Spook's hand and he began brushing it as the water drained from his suit. The suit adjusted itself as Spook did such. Spook found himself gazing at the picture. Thaidakar, the woman and Spook stood together, laughing. 

And... there was a shadow behind them in the picture, with glowing red eyes. 

Spook felt a cold chill run down his spine. He blinked, and the shadow seemed to be gone. There were three holes in the picture now, where their faces were. 

Behind him, Spook heard Thaidakar's muffled voice say, "AAAAAAAANNNNNDDDDD... ANOUNCING, MY SON AND HEIR, SPOOOOOOOK!"

Spook didn't move to answer the call, staring at the picture. 

In blood, one sentence was spelled.

One sentence that changed everything.

On the caricature of his mother, the following words were written:

I am alive.

31 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

He stood in front of the mirror, adjusting his bow-tie, a nervous smile on his face. Heir to Narration, Spook Von Kelsier, gazed at his reflection. Ah, the lengths he'd gone to get here... The Narrator nudged the charm bracelet on his wrist, rubbing a specific one of a sword. It was almost time. Thaidakar was going to introduce to most of the characters, avatars, potential narrators, beings, etc, who their Author had been Authoring or had been rooted to it to stay in this realm. For some reason, he felt like this was where he truly became a Narrator, when he truly became his father's heir. In the reflection of the mirror, the door opened and Thaidakar himself strode in confidently, wearing a sharp blood red tuxedo and fashionable shoes. How much Spook hated that man... that man for all he'd done to him, for all he'd done to TLT, for all he did. And, yet, somehow, he felt an ounce of love for the man who had deemed to call himself Spook's father, despite it all. Of course, Spook would never tell anyone that, but it was, still, truth. And, the Narrator thought absently, truth was the god he worshipped.

"You seem almost ready," Thaidakar said with a short, awkward smile. "They're ready to see you any moment... son."

"Don't call me that," Spook said sharply. "Just... just don't. Call me Spook or relation, if you must. Never 'son'. You lost the right to call me that long ago..." Spook grunted, fidgeting with the cuff of his suit.

"Don't monologue, someone might think you're a comic book villain or something," Thaidakar ordered naturally, ignoring what Spook had told him, in the arrogant way he talked to everyone, the way that made it seem like he assumed he was the best in the room. Spook wanted him to know he wasn't. "It's imperative that you impress them, otherwise they might eat you alive or something. They aren't fond of me, and since you're my son..."

"If they try, I can just tell them how much I hate you too," Spook said stiffly. "I'm not your son, for the last time."

"Fine, fine..." Thaidakar said, nodding as if he understood his son perfectly, which he didn't. The former vessel of Adonalsium adjusted his collar slightly, emeralds and rubies appearing in several locations upon his tux. The way he primped and preened, dressing in the pits of fashion... Spook despised him. "Still... are you ready for this?"

Spook hesitated, fingering the tip of the sword charm in his right index finger and middle finger. Finally, he nodded, "Yes, yes I am."

"Good... I'll introduce you first, then you come through the door, got it?" The arrogant fool asked, though not toned as such. Before his former son could answer, the Narrator strode out of the room, leaving Spook alone as half-hearted cheers erupted from behind the door.

Spook turned to a painting on the wall, one that he knew Thaidakar would avoid looking at... at all costs. It was of a woman, a woman who neither of them would talk about, much less to each other. 

Spook's mother and the love of Thaidakar's life. And the love of a former friend of Thaidakar's life. 

It was a sore subject, such as that it was never brought up before in TLT, and if anything similar to it was, it was probably a fabrication made to make the truth easy upon its narrator. A fact that was part of the reason why Spook worshipped truth before anything else. Truth reigned for him. Lies were his enemy. Thaidakar was his enemy.

Spook sighed, pouring some water from a basin that had been lying on a hutch, hugged against the wall, onto his head. With a small puff of Narration, a comb formed in Spook's hand and he began brushing it as the water drained from his suit. The suit adjusted itself as Spook did such. Spook found himself gazing at the picture. Thaidakar, the woman and Spook stood together, laughing. 

And... there was a shadow behind them in the picture, with glowing red eyes. 

Spook felt a cold chill run down his spine. He blinked, and the shadow seemed to be gone. There were three holes in the picture now, where their faces were. 

Behind him, Spook heard Thaidakar's muffled voice say, "AAAAAAAANNNNNDDDDD... ANOUNCING, MY SON AND HEIR, SPOOOOOOOK!"

Spook didn't move to answer the call, staring at the picture. 

In blood, one sentence was spelled.

One sentence that changed everything.

On the caricature of his mother, the following words were written:

I am alive.

Isn't that a row spoiler?

1 hour ago, Lightweaver2 said:

Drilk winces, but continues. “Are you certain? That chasmfiend seems to be getting a lot closer. Anyway, what about that poor soul that’s still down there?”

The ‘poor soul’ in question sprinted towards the chasmfiend, holding a sword that glittered despite the gloom of the cavern.

42 minutes ago, Aeoliae said:

Isn't that a row spoiler?

Do you mean like Thaidakar's last name? If anyone asks, it's in relation to Spook knowing Kelsier, and not Thaidakar stuff. And, in TLT, Kelsier is the name of Thaidakar's father. It was a gag for a bit.

Oh...

4 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

Do you mean like Thaidakar's last name? If anyone asks, it's in relation to Spook knowing Kelsier, and not Thaidakar stuff. And, in TLT, Kelsier is the name of Thaidakar's father. It was a gag for a bit.

I didn't know. I have only read pages 1-132 so I didn't know.

9 minutes ago, Aeoliae said:

Oh, okay. Can you find me the exact page?

Wait you didn't read all of TLT before posting? *gasp* how could you?

Spoiler

(Just kidding btw, I haven't even read all of TLT since I started posting, much less the whole thing)

Just now, Nameless* said:

Wait you didn't read all of TLT before posting? *gasp* how could you?

Hide contents

(Just kidding btw, I haven't even read all of TLT since I started posting, much less the whole thing)

I read all of it at the time. When it was only 131 pages long.