Who wants to play a game of mornington crescent?

Eerongal

I figured since the forum games have been kinda dead around here, I'd post up a new one! So i bring you mornington crescent!

Does anyone know how to play? i've never actually played it, but I know the idea behind it.

Some background, it was apparently from some british radio show as a joke game/prank they played (or something like that) and is intended to mock complex sports rules. But the basic gameplay is that you are trying to navigate a london subway system (map here) and arrive at mornington crescent. The person who successfully does so is the winner. However, other people are basically allowed to make up any and all rules for different ways to block/divert progress.

example:

Person 1: Move to kentish town.

Person 2: Move to Camden Town

Person 3: Sorry, rule 3A in book 25 says that if you stop at Camden town before continuing on to Chalk farm then doubling back means a penalty and pushes us back to Old street and puts us on an express train

Person 2: Move to angel

Person 1: Sorry, angel cannot be reached by express train, and attempting to stop in an express train, according to 12th edition revisions, moves us over to Euston Square

Person 3: switchover at Euston square off of express train

End example

get it?

Ok, so let's do this.

Move to manor house.

I'm game! So, first off *studies map* Where the heck is mornington crescent?

heh, its on the black rail in the middle-ish right around where the two split merge near the top

Edit: and manor house, the place i moved the game to, is to the right on the dark-bluish rail

So to make sure I understand correctly I am trying to get to the crescent, while stopping you, yes? Or does everyone start where you started and go from there? (Just making sure I understand properly before making my move. *nods*)

(Also, I am now at 57 minutes, and I think I might be getting hyper without anything other than this video. Josh is going to kill me! But that's an explanation for the odd seeming posts I may post.)

So to make sure I understand correctly I am trying to get to the crescent, while stopping you, yes? Or does everyone start where you started and go from there? (Just making sure I understand properly before making my move. *nods*)

(Also, I am now at 57 minutes, and I think I might be getting hyper without anything other than this video. Josh is going to kill me! But that's an explanation for the odd seeming posts I may post.)

Well, its actually game where there's really no particular rules, so we make it up as we go along, so it can be, really, either way. I've only seen a few games of it played, but I've seen it played both ways.

It's really kinda one of those games that since there's no real rules, and we're making it up as we go along, anyone could technically win at any time by making up some dumb rule to put them there right away.

So i guess go with whichever way you feel like, it may even change during the course of play anyways :P

Edit: also, speaking of hobbits, i've heard of this game being played with a middle earth variant called "Hobbiton crescent"

Further edit: Here's a map i found with a quick google search :P

HobbitonCresent.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic