New Reputation Levels!

Chaos

-1 is occasionally used to denote infinity or NaN for variables, yes.

It's still not formally a number :P But that is one way programs can output it.

You know who else gets a red mark? RASHEK! Sliver of infinity my fin, he just implied that he's a real fraction of a mathematical concept!

Psh, in the philosophy of the cosmere, that makes perfect sense. He never claimed that was a number :P

In fact, there happen to be different kinds of infinities. Some contain much more than others.

That does make me wonder what the average age of the forum is.

That would be an interesting thing to do, but there's not an immediately easy way to do that. I suppose I could write SQL queries to do that, but that sounds like work.

That just means you mess up the curve. We always hated that guy in school.  :P

Just be glad I managed to keep the Elder God off this forum. That sort of age really messes up the curve. (Or we could use median, which would probably be more useful. And then we wouldn't have the Grey Pilgrim messing up the curve.)

Just be glad I managed to keep the Elder God off this forum. That sort of age really messes up the curve. (Or we could use median, which would probably be more useful. And then we wouldn't have the Grey Pilgrim messing up the curve.)

Crap. Elder Gods aren't supposed to be here? Well, I screwed that one up.

You can't stop me! I will mess up the curve if I want to mess up the curve!

Well, you could give someone a little 'infinity' symbol on their rep bar with a bit of fiddling, couldn't you?

In fact, there happen to be different kinds of infinities. Some contain much more than others.

Is there anyone else freaking out at these completely accidental TFIOS references? Probably just me. I'm very obsessed right now,  :wub: 

That does make me wonder what the average age of the forum is.

I have no proof, but from what I've seen and the way people talk, (school/uni/avoiding studying for exams etc.) I get the impression most active posters are in their early twenties, a couple are younger, and then there are a handful of 30-50 years olds. But I think the general population round here is generally on the younger side.

Edited by Delightful

My apologies, It is The Fault In Our Stars, I'm just so used to seeing it abbreviated that I sort of forgot that to most people TFIOS is just a bunch of random letters. Non-fantasy, but one of my absolute favourite books, it's definitely worth checking out. Also they're making a movie that looks amazing so I'm, to put it mildly, very very excited.

/sales pitch.

Out of the people in the chat I've talked to, the majority are 14-25. Theorizers, admins, mods and people doing community tasks like major wiki edits or quote compilations seem to be often 25-35 (with a few notable exceptions!).

I also have no proof, this is entirely anecdotal from the maybe 30-40 people whose ages I've learned approximately.

I remember there was one member who was 80 something. He posted that he wouldn't be able to Finish SA until He could see the Future.

I definitely remember a member saying something about how he'd grown up with WoT and was going to grow old with SA. There are definitely older people around, they're just not the majority. I also recall seeing a user who's 12, but I have no idea who.

Edited by Delightful

I definitely remember a member saying something about how he'd grown up with WoT and was going to grow old with SA. There are definitely older people around, they're just not the majority. I also recall seeing a user who's 12, but I have no idea who.

That's a pretty awesome life.

But we should probably try to kind of stick to the topic...

This topic has been pretty derailed all day. Really, with most of the rep levels confirmed at this point, not sure this topic will be all that active anymore unless we chat off topic

No reason to though. There is a chatbox, and there are offtopic threads. Derailing topics we consider "(nearly) complete" simply because we can seems... bad form. 

A propos age, @Chaos, would it be possible to let us give up just our year of birth, and not just the whole thing? I don't mind giving up my age, but it bothered me for quite a while that I had to give up my exact date of birth to give any indication of my age at all.

EDIT: And on a tangential note, it would be amusing to add a "nationality" option to our user profiles. I would be curious to see how Sharders are scattered around the world. Or maybe we could just make a Thread for it? Be right back!

Edited by Aether

A propos age, @Chaos, would it be possible to let us give up just our year of birth, and not just the whole thing? I don't mind giving up my age, but it bothered me for quite a while that I had to give up my exact date of birth to give any indication of my age at all.

Jan 1st, Year of Birth.

No reason to though. There is a chatbox, and there are offtopic threads. Derailing topics we consider "(nearly) complete" simply because we can seems... bad form. 

I agree. I just established Elsa Steelheart's introduction topic as the topic for posting random stuff that has nothing to do with the topic's original intent. Let's go there for random discussion!

Edited by GreyPilgrim