Do you tend to read Cosmere books, or listen to them?

Do you tend to read Cosmere books, or listen to them?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Read or Listen?

• Read
    • Listen

I work in a cabinet shop and so I listen to audiobooks all day. :) I agree I love Michael Kramer and Kate Reading, but I have to say that if you can afford them, the Graphic Audio adaptions are absolutely phenomenal. Best listening experience. Ever. :D

29 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

I work in a cabinet shop and so I listen to audiobooks all day. :) I agree I love Michael Kramer and Kate Reading, but I have to say that if you can afford them, the Graphic Audio adaptions are absolutely phenomenal. Best listening experience. Ever. :D

Ive been wanting to check these out, I absolutely love the concept but have only done the traditional narrators before.

Audiobooks are really nice for stuff like long drives, but if the book is good enough, I find myself wanting to read it instead so I can have my own experience with it. But if the book isn't good enough, then obviously it's not enjoyable that way either. So for me, audiobooks have to lie in this special zone of "I like it, but not enough that I have to physically read it myself."

Not Cosmere, but his Alcatraz series fit that description for me perfectly.

I read them always first, because I want to concentrate fully on the book.

But I usually listen to the audio versions while doing the housework or driving. 

Edited by Sorana

I love reading them, and I've managed to devour the last two Stormlight books in one sitting/day when they've come out xD

But I listen to audiobooks while I drive, so I tend to listen to them more simply because of that, and my hour-long drive to and from work every day.

Read. I haven’t listened to an audiobook in years.

I like coming up for voices of characters in my head.

Dalinar Blackthorn Era basically sounds like Arnold Schwarzenegger. 

Jasnah sounds like that extremely strict teacher or professor who’s staring into your soul whenever they talk to you.

Hoid, when he’s trying to act wise and tell stories, sounds like the people in movies who say really deep stuff while they’re looking out windows. When he’s trying to be annoying, he sounds like a really annoying friend of mine... :P

Edited by Ashspren

Definitely read. I've never actually listened to an audiobook before, but I find it a little harder to concentrate on things I'm listening to compared to reading. On the other hand, I'm starting uni next year and will probably be commuting the hour and a half drive there for the first year, at least. So I might be doing some audiobook stuff then.

I think the good narrators can actually improve a story and Brandon's narrators are all excellent. I prefer to listen, but also like to read them occasionally which is better to hunt down some details. Audiobooks loose me though if I have to jungle arount too many plotlines, but all of Brandon's works have been straight forward enough for me. 

I have also fully embrased being a "old man" because I have finally arrived at the point where I prefer to here people talk over music. That includes audiobooks and talk radio.

Read. I prefer setting my own pace, have my own mental voice and drowning the world with my thoughts. 

I mean audiobook could all do that but with much more difficulty(especially setting my own pace)

Edited by goody153

I read, not that I don't like/can't stand audio books, but I just really like to actually hold the physical books. I also don't ever read ebooks, and the only book I have read digitally to this day is Aether of the Night.

I have nearly finished listening to most of the Cosmere novels via Audible. I have finished Mistborn E1, Warbreaker, Elantris, Most of Stormlight including Edgedancer, and am currently about 40% of the way through Oathbringer. I do plan on reading all novels eventually but I am currently reading Wheel of Time [on Knife of Dreams].

In the mean time though I am currently buying all the books in hardcover if at all possible including signed copies from Sanderson's Store, including the sexy Leather Bound books.

Now the important question: Dustcovers or no dustcovers on the hardcovers

Edited by Undead Wookiee

No dust covers. (I have physical copies of the books to because I like to read along as I listen to the audio, plus audio books don't have pictures). Anyway I almost always take off the dust covers, I like how it makes the book look like some old grimoire you'd find in an abandoned library of magic books.

35 minutes ago, EdgeDancerSquirrelGirl said:

No dust covers. (I have physical copies of the books to because I like to read along as I listen to the audio, plus audio books don't have pictures). Anyway I almost always take off the dust covers, I like how it makes the book look like some old grimoire you'd find in an abandoned library of magic books.

Yea I was debating. I am in the process of converting my garage to a mancave, well half is mine but still finishing the entirety. Out there I plan on part of it to build floor to ceiling bookshelves to house my growing collection including the mandatory Sandershelf. With a dedicated shelf up for for my leather bound editions. Although I am debating that my signed hardcovers and leather-bounds should remain inside in the climate control of the house.

On 7/26/2018 at 11:23 AM, EdgeDancerSquirrelGirl said:

@Herowannabe (I would have just quoted you or what ever but I'm new to this forum thing and I'm not sure how to do that yet). I've never heard of graphic audio adaption, what even is that?

To quote, just hit the “quote” button at the bottom of that person’s post. Alternatively you can select a portion of a post and a little black “quote” button will pop up to quote just the selection. 

@EdgeDancerSquirrelGirl To “mention” someone, type @ + start typing their username, and a little menu should pop up where you can select their name. You have to select their name or it won’t work. 

If you want a specific user’s attention it’s usually a good idea to do one of these two things, because then it notifies them the next time they visit the site. Otherwise they may not ever see your post. I just happened to pop back in this thread and notice yours. ;)

Graphic audio does audiobooks, but instead of one or two narrators they have a full voice cast, plus sound effects and music. Their tag line is “a movie in your mind” and that is really what it feels like. I cannot recommend them strongly enough, they’re so incredibly awesome. :D I suggest going to their website and listening to a few of the sample audio clips to get an idea of what they’re like. 

The downside is that they’re not cheap. Sometimes if you’re lucky you can find them at your local library, but otherwise you’re looking at around $15 per installment, and each of brandon’s books takes around 3 installments (give or take, depending on how long the book is. Stormlight books are around 5-6 installments, for example). 

Edited by Herowannabe

Thanks, that's super helpful! Also I'll defiantly check out graphic audio. I really want to reread (well, relisten) to storm light, but I've never been able to reread or relisten to anything before, because I already know what happens, and I feel like I'm waiting time since there's so many other unread books I could be reading. Anyway, maybe if I'm second time listening is like that, I'll be able to do it, so thanks!