To read in English for first time you recommend...

Hi! 

As you can will see in my post, I'm not pretty good in English (I'm from Spain), but I want improve myself, and since I learned all English I know reading forums (like this one, Westeros...) and wikias (as Coppermind, ASoIaF...) I want to practice my English reading books.

I started to read some books in English but I withdrawaled these ones because I had the sense that I didn't understand it at all...

And well, here my question: Which BS book can you recommend me to read in English?

I thought in Alcatraz (I think that is a teenager saga, but I think that the style could be not very complex for me, but maybe the plot could be not enough interesting for me...) and The Rithmatist, these two are independent to Cosmere and short and does not published in my country already. But right now I'm reading Cosmere books, and Elantris are in my wishlist...

Which one of these are better to start reading English? Which plot is better for you of these books? Do you recommend me another one?

Thank you!!

Edited by Rand al’Thorres

Reckoners. 

From a pure language standpoint, one of the defining traits of the Young Adult sub-genre is the use of simpler language (on the general logic that younger readers will still be developing their vocabulary).  So by that logic Id start with his YA stuff, which unfortunately does not include any Cosmere as far as I know.  However, the Reckoners trilogy is one of the more enjoyable things Ive read recently (Superheroes destroy society!).  Unless you just generally superpowers or post-apocalyptic settings, it's not going to be too simplistic despite being Young Adult. 

18 hours ago, Rand al’Thorres said:

I thought in Alcatraz (I think that is a teenager saga, but I think that the style could be not very complex for me, but maybe the plot could be not enough interesting for me...

First of all, I’m 90% sure you will love Alcatraz because it is amazing. But to help with your question I’m thinking Rithmatist might be the best out of the ones you mentioned. But I would also second @Quantus‘s opinion about Reckoners. 

@Rand al’Thorres

And a piece of general advice: Don't try to understand each word. Just continue reading. As long as you get the sense behind a sentence it's fine, because you understand the book. And don't give up. It gets easier with every single page you read.

When I started reading in english I kept something to write next to book and if an unknown word appeared often then I wrote it down to look it up later. I was a good way for me, because I could continue to read and and learn new words.

Reckoners is probably the best Brandon Sanderson book for people whose english isn't great, out of curiousity, do you recommend any books in spanish for people in the opposite situation. Preferably books of a similar genre to Sanderson's.

9 hours ago, Ishar said:

Reckoners is probably the best Brandon Sanderson book for people whose english isn't great, out of curiousity, do you recommend any books in spanish for people in the opposite situation. Preferably books of a similar genre to Sanderson's.

@Rand al’Thorres Ditto! I feel like that would totally help me.

Thanks to all! I think I will start Reckoners then! I will read it at the same time than Well of Ascension, I'm currently reading it.

15 hours ago, Ashspren said:

@Rand al’Thorres Ditto! I feel like that would totally help me.

On 20/8/2018 at 7:23 AM, Ishar said:

Hmmm... tbh I don't read a lot fantasy by Spanish authors to recommens some book that can be easy to read. But when I was teenager I read a lot Harry Potter, maybe read the Spanish translation can help you. And a book that I felt in love when I was 15-16 years aprox (and still being one of my favourites) and the writter is from Spain is "La Sombra del Viento" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, ("The Shadow of the Wind"), I don't remember that was complex for me, but you must consider that I was 15-16 years, and maybe my Spanish vocabulary and level was pretty high if you started with Spanish recently. Sorry, but I think that the best book recommendations are English translations if you are interested in fantasy books..

On 18/8/2018 at 1:19 PM, Sorana said:

@Rand al’Thorres

And a piece of general advice: Don't try to understand each word. Just continue reading. As long as you get the sense behind a sentence it's fine, because you understand the book. And don't give up. It gets easier with every single page you read.

My couple says me the same... haha thanks for the advice

8 hours ago, Rand al’Thorres said:

Thanks to all! I think I will start Reckoners then! I will read it at the same time than Well of Ascension, I'm currently reading it.

Hmmm... tbh I don't read a lot fantasy by Spanish authors to recommens some book that can be easy to read. But when I was teenager I read a lot Harry Potter, maybe read the Spanish translation can help you. And a book that I felt in love when I was 15-16 years aprox (and still being one of my favourites) and the writter is from Spain is "La Sombra del Viento" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, ("The Shadow of the Wind"), I don't remember that was complex for me, but you must consider that I was 15-16 years, and maybe my Spanish vocabulary and level was pretty high if you started with Spanish recently. Sorry, but I think that the best book recommendations are English translations if you are interested in fantasy books..

Thank you so much! This should help me a lot. :D

Funny story: while I was serving an LDS mission in New Zealand one of my companions was from Tahiti and was trying to improve his English, so he borrowed a children’s book to read. He kept coming to me asking about words he didn’t understand and after a couple days we realized that it wasn’t the best book to read when trying to learn English. What was the book?  

Spoiler

The BFG by Roald Dahl  

if you are unfamiliar with it, the BFG is stuffed full of bad grammar and whacky, made-up words like “biffsquiggled” and “grinksludging” and “rommytot.” :lol:

Anyway, as for actual helpful advice: when I was younger and reading books that were above my level I would have a dictionary right by me and when I came across a word I couldn’t understand or figure out I would look it up. I suspect you would probably want to do the same with a Spanish-English dictionary. You probably already are. :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

Funny story: while I was serving an LDS mission in New Zealand one of my companions was from Tahiti and was trying to improve his English, so he borrowed a children’s book to read. He kept coming to me asking about words he didn’t understand and after a couple days we realized that it wasn’t the best book to read when trying to learn English. What was the book?  

Reveal hidden contents

The BFG by Roald Dahl  

if you are unfamiliar with it, the BFG is stuffed full of bad grammar and whacky, made-up words like “biffsquiggled” and “grinksludging” and “rommytot.” :lol:

Anyway, as for actual helpful advice: when I was younger and reading books that were above my level I would have a dictionary right by me and when I came across a word I couldn’t understand or figure out I would look it up. I suspect you would probably want to do the same with a Spanish-English dictionary. You probably already are. :rolleyes:

Hahahah I can see the frustration in your companion eyes...

And yes, I have a ebook and is so easy research words and phrasal verbs in a English and English-Spanish dictionary!

Thanks!

EDIT: BTW, I just see your Valentine's day cards, and I have fallen in love!! I will sent (with your permision and credits)the Vin and Elend card to my couple! She don't read BS and I insist that she do it...

Edited by Rand al’Thorres

6 hours ago, Rand al’Thorres said:

EDIT: BTW, I just see your Valentine's day cards, and I have fallen in love!! I will sent (with your permision and credits)the Vin and Elend card to my couple! She don't read BS and I insist that she do it...

Glad you like them! And yes, please send and share them with whomever you like! That’s what they’re there for. :D

• Chaos locked this topic