Why is Roshar the shape of a storm?

Arin

Crazy question/theory. Why is Roshar the shape of a storm? In WoR we saw floating islands. It looks like those islands appear to be part of the map of Roshar and of Shadesmar. So they look permanent. Does all of Roshar float? And in turn take the shape of the storm? Will it change now there are two storms?

In one of the WoB, someone pointed out that it looked like a spiral galaxy.  And Brandon got a bit excited that someone noticed.

There was also something about each world in the Cosmere syncing up with Shadesmar and what I took away from it was that important landmarks in one world are "connected" to landmarks in another.

Haven't pondered the implications much but something for people that care more to think about.

In one of the WoB, someone pointed out that it looked like a spiral galaxy. And Brandon got a bit excited that someone noticed.

There was also something about each world in the Cosmere syncing up with Shadesmar and what I took away from it was that important landmarks in one world are "connected" to landmarks in another.

Haven't pondered the implications much but something for people that care more to think about.

So was Sazed aware of this when he remade Scadrial?

• 7 months later...

I suspect the land mass is spinning.

thats a good idea IDK how the plate tectonics would cause that though. a portion of the mantle grew cold and sunk down, which is causing the upper-crust to slowly sink-spin into the planet. It would have to take place over millions of years though. 

Reading the thread "Hidden things in the map of roshar", Roshar looks to be based on a frame in the 3-d animation of the Julia Set (look it up on Wikipedia)

A (2D) projection of a (3D) cross-section of a (4D) Julia set, but right. A cool mathematical construct.

A (2D) projection of a (3D) cross-section of a (4D) Julia set, but right. A cool mathematical construct.

Just clarifying for everyone else here: There's almost certainly no Cosmere significance to the shape of Roshar. Unless you want to believe that Brandon specifically made and uploaded the animation to Wikipedia, there's no Cosmere reason it should be that specific projection of that specific cross-section of that specific Julia set.

Well, yes, but one of those frames is such a perfectly exact match that it is almost certainly the source of the world's shape

Well, yeah. I am not arguing against you, I am just formalizing the definition. 

• Chaos locked this topic