theory: Galladon in WoK

Zas678

That's awesome, I thought I'd heard this somewhere, but wasn't sure. It's nice to have confirmation. It'll be neat to read these books again a couple years down the road and see all the worldhoppers we missed, even if they are as unobtrusive as Hoid in WoA. I wonder which, (unpublished) book that the third member of Gallodon's party is from.

Well, I'm taking a shot in the dark here, but there's an interesting man in WoK that might be a worldhopper. I don't have my notes or book handy, but he's a dark-skinned bridgeman from another bridge crew who Kaladin assumes to be a foreigner at first, except that he speaks Alethi with no accent. He also seems grateful that Kaladin is helping him, which is a different attitude than most of the others seem to have. I believe that is Chapter 53.

Wow, I think I remember that. It is interesting. Especially considering that if the Seventeenth Shard wanted to get an up close view of Kaladin and Surgebinding there would be no better place then as a bridgeman.

I wonder if any Seventeenth Shard members saw Szeths attack on the king. If the Ars Arcanum is written by them (unknown) then it would help them to see what Surgebinding does and have the information present there. But some information could have also come from historical sources. If the men interrogating Elhokar weren't Gallodon & co. then I bet they could be other Worldhoppers.

Actually, I came across this interesting interview.

He also said to me 'you'd be surprised at how many of the Heralds appear in the book', so i guess another re-read is in order!

IIRC, the man that Kaladin saved spoke perfect Alethi, with no trace of an accent. And he was dark-skinned. And darkeyed. Sound familiar? Those characteristics happen to be shared by another character: Talenel'Elin, Herald of the Almighty.

So now I've gone from thinking that this random character is a worldhopper to thinking that he's a Herald. Besides, I believe that the other worldhoppers have accents, just ones that were unplaceable. The Heralds have no accent.

Yes, there are definitely undiscovered Worldhoppers.

LEXIE

Will there be other crossover characters like Hoid?

BRANDON SANDERSON

There already have been.

LEXIE

Really?

BRANDON SANDERSONM

Yes.

LEXIE

Can you tell?

BRANDON SANDERSON

I cannot say more than that, I think that they’re placed quite obviously, they were not very obvious before this book, they do exist, other crossovers do exist. But none so obvious as Hoid. I think there are several obvious ones in this novel, no one has yet found them that I know, but I think once they see them- once you look closely they’re there.

Source

• 3 months later...

But still, Hoid was never even named as Hoid in the Mistborn books, and the twitter comment was a direct response to people who were previously unaware that Mistborn and Way of Kings were connected. Brandon might play coy at times, but there's no way he would have responded that way if he meant just Demoux and Hoid by 'multiple' because there's absolutely, one hundred percent no way seeing Hoid in WoK would equal seeing someone from Mistborn for a reader who had no way of knowing an unnamed beggar in WoA had any significance whatsoever.

Hoid was named twice in Mistborn, once when he showed up as a beggar talking to Kelsier and once when Vin skipped talking to him in HoA.

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...

timasp, I've hidden your post as material from Bands/Secret History is NOT to be discussed outside of the relevant spoiler forums at this time as per the current spoiler policy.  Also in the future if you don't know how to do something like spoiler tagging please either look it up or ask another user how to do it before posting un-tagged spoilers.

• Chaos locked this topic