Theory: The Seventeenth Shard are separate

Chaos

1. Hoid is on Roshar. He is writing a letter. As far as we know, there is no interplanetary postal service. Ergo, the PBA is also on Roshar.

11thorderknight, this assumption seems insufficiently supported to hold up the rest of your argument. If Hoid can, for instance, jump around worlds in, say, a single day, and if the letter is important enough, all he would have to do is leave it where the recipient would certainly find it, which could be anywhere in the cosmere. No postal service needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously the Seventeeth Shard is based out of Dragaera. After all, seventeen is a super mystically significant number in that series, and we know that Vlad Taltos is narrating these books to someone.

Steven Brust is just Brandon Sanderson's penname! They have the same initials! It all makes sense!

:P

• 2 weeks later...

What in the world does 'PBA' stand for? I just read this entire thread and apparently missed some clue...

Let's see, possible meanings:

Piggy-Back Assistant

Pretty Bad Apple

Pie Before Actions

Probability-Based Anger

EDIT:

Aha, no worries, I googled it. For those who don't know what we are talking about here, PBA stands for Professional Bowlers Association. They even have the acronym, as their website :lol:

Edited by Turos Stoneward

• 1 year later...

I just realized something. This is probably common knowledge by now, but there are two things we know about Hoid's motives. He helped Vin and in turn Sazed. Now, he is helping the Radiant group, in order to fight Odium. There are two things in those actions at both ends of the spectrum. In the case of helping Sazed, he combined shards. In the case of helping the Radiant group, he is preventing Odium from shattering shards. So, once again, his motives are to reassemble them as a whole. 

As in fact, he does tell Dalinar that he would allow Roshar to burn, with tears in his eyes, in order to accomplish his goals. As their motives aren't in complete alignment. So, Dalinar's goal is to save Roshar and Hoid wants to stop Odium, was my assumption. Though, what I think now, is that Hoid's goal is to prevent any more shards from being shattered.

The name, Seventeenth Shard, suggests that the organisation was formed in the early days after Adonalsium was shattered. My belief is that Hoid was a member of a company (of friends, warriors, merchants, spies, whatever really), but disagreed with them on how to proceed after seeing Adonalsium shattered. He went one way, and they all formed the Seventeenth Shard.

Since then, Hoid has been going his own way, and the Seventeenth Shard another. Both have similar goals, but, I suspect, differing ideas on how to accomplish them.

• Chaos locked this topic