Where's WalDo: The Kandra Worldhopper

Kobold King

What about a returned, they died and came back, it wouldn't be too surprising if it was, say blushweaver. What do the returned do all day but chill and have a good time.  Harmony is new to the shard game, and nothing bad is happening on the warbreaker planet, cosmere related anyway, so why not try to get some info on how to run things.  Doesn't have to be blushweaver, but maby another female returned

1 hour ago, Odin0420 said:

What about a returned, they died and came back, it wouldn't be too surprising if it was, say blushweaver. What do the returned do all day but chill and have a good time.  Harmony is new to the shard game, and nothing bad is happening on the warbreaker planet, cosmere related anyway, so why not try to get some info on how to run things.  Doesn't have to be blushweaver, but maby another female returned

Hmm, it's true that a Kandra could pretty easily fake being Returned.  I can't think of any particular area in which they couldn't imitate that, up until the part where they're supposed to give their breath away and heal someone, except I have no idea about the Biochromatic Aura.  Do Kandra have one at all, and if so, would they be able to make it match a Returned (by getting Breaths or changing anything in particular)?  In fact, does the Biochromatic Aura of a Returned simply look like someone of the 5th Heightening, or does it have it's own unique look too?

jW

40 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

Hmm, it's true that a Kandra could pretty easily fake being Returned.  I can't think of any particular area in which they couldn't imitate that, up until the part where they're supposed to give their breath away and heal someone, except I have no idea about the Biochromatic Aura.  Do Kandra have one at all, and if so, would they be able to make it match a Returned (by getting Breaths or changing anything in particular)?  In fact, does the Biochromatic Aura of a Returned simply look like someone of the 5th Heightening, or does it have it's own unique look too?

jW

Given that they don't start out with Breath in the Nalthian sense, I imagine they would appear to be a regular person to start with. Short of Vasher himself teaching Sazed about how Breath works, I don't see a way around needing enough Breath for the aura. I feel like a Divine Breath would not look too different from having a mass of ordinary Breaths, purely because of artistic license on what i think the aura's look like :)

Even if it does look a bit different, I doubt anything would come of it for a while. Other than the Returned, I don't think there are many people of the 5th Heightening. Anyone 3rd and lower wouldn't dare question one of the Returned out loud, and the other Returned seem fairly lazy enough to not care.

There is another issue that would come up though; Kandra don't consume Breath, so the one a week would stack up. While the Returned wouldn't question the truth of the aura, they would notice it getting stronger as time went on. I can potentially solve that issue just as quickly, with a solution Sazed would approve of as well: having the Kandra learn how to awaken.

Disclaimer: My 2 minute theories make assumptions and likely contain holes. Feel free to correct me on any inaccuracies.

1 hour ago, Odin0420 said:

I would assume if you where heavily enough invested it should look the same

No, the Nalthian Biochroma definitely isn't just a matter of being Invested.  It's a unique magic fueled by the part of the soul that Endowment made able to be detached and given away.  I'm pretty sure that there's a WoB that people from other worlds do not have a Biochromatic Aura at all, though they would gain one if they get Breaths (but that Awakening requires Nalthian sDNA, or a hack, though that part I'm less confident in).

jW

OK, so the kandra just has to have plenty of breath, which the returned get like one a week.  lightsong says that he starts to get weak feeling and whatnot, but kandra can act so that wouldn't be too hard. With enough breath it could look right. 

Also I belive that the terriswoman worldhopper is one of siris nurses, I read something about it in the WoB thread on here

Edited by Odin0420
Thought

47 minutes ago, Odin0420 said:

OK, so the kandra just has to have plenty of breath, which the returned get like one a week.  lightsong says that he starts to get weak feeling and whatnot, but kandra can act so that wouldn't be too hard. With enough breath it could look right. 

Also I belive that the terriswoman worldhopper is one of siris nurses, I read something about it in the WoB thread on here

One of the nurses tending to Dedelin's spy in T'telir, actually.  

2 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

One of the nurses tending to Dedelin's spy in T'telir, actually.

This weird thing just happened and I can't change it for some reason so ignore the quoted text because something is wrong with it. 

Ah OK so I was kinda close

Edited by Odin0420
Removed the word goes

Wait, guys. 

Backtracking to the whole "only two kandra introduced in Era 2" thing. 

Something I noticed in BoM, in the first few chapters, when VenDell is trying to convince Wax and his little gang to go south, he's wearing a brown suit. 

In the first mentioning of said suit, it's dark brown.

Then it's brown. 

Then light brown. 

Then tan. 

All in the same day, and with no reference to VenDell ever changing suits.

This color-changing thing really brings to mind BioChroma, if you ask me.

And VenDell had the air of "too good for your silly adventures," right? 

What if that is an act, and he is secretly a Worldhopping agent of Harmony?

4 minutes ago, bleeder said:

You aren't the first, but I don't think the thread really decided for sure yet, so you could put in your two cents there if you want

I know this isn't cool...

But I still think he's just changing suits. :P  I know it's probably not likely, but I feel like VenDell would be the kind of guy to spontaneously change suits, just for fun.  Or maybe because he thinks changing suits would hide his identity.

Even though they are all a shade of brown.

I can see him saying 'Yes, but they'd think I'd change into another color, so this will throw them off the trail even more!'  I can totally see that.

Needless to say, I have a rather low opinion of VenDell. :P 

• 2 years later...

A recent WoB that's got me thinking about our mysterious kandra worldhopper and bringing this thread back up:

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

I had a question about Sazed. About writing him as a character. So, I noticed he says "I think" a lot, which is a very Japanese thing.

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes. So, I've used this before; Galladon does it too, "kolo." A lot of Earth languages do it. Japanes is one, Korean does it. And it is one of these things, we don't do it the same way in English. "You know?" But it is one of those things, and it is a cultural thing from the Terris people, and should be a tick that will help you pick out people who have been socialized like Terris people.

source

Brandon's phrasing there strikes me as a little odd. He doesn't say the phrase will help us find Terris people; he says "people who have been socialized like Terris people." It comes across a little verbose; why is he being that specific? It makes me wonder if WalDo has been exposed to enough Terris influence that she has picked up on this trait, and that's the specific person that Brandon had in mind at the end of his answer. Because she wouldn't strictly be Terris; she'd have some Terris-influenced speaking patterns.

So, do we have any characters in Oathbringer who have that particular affectation? Because remember:

Have we seen the worldhopping kandra on-screen in Oathbringer?

Yes, I believe you have. Ahhhh, yes, she gets around. 

source

On 10/1/2016 at 0:33 PM, Bleeder said:

Wait, guys. 

Backtracking to the whole "only two kandra introduced in Era 2" thing. 

Something I noticed in BoM, in the first few chapters, when VenDell is trying to convince Wax and his little gang to go south, he's wearing a brown suit. 

In the first mentioning of said suit, it's dark brown.

Then it's brown. 

Then light brown. 

Then tan. 

All in the same day, and with no reference to VenDell ever changing suits.

This color-changing thing really brings to mind BioChroma, if you ask me.

And VenDell had the air of "too good for your silly adventures," right? 

In case this was still uncertain:

VenDell, the kandra from the Wax & Wayne era. So, at the start of the book, coat is brown. End of the book, a light tan. Is he doing something specifically himself to change the color?

Uh, yeah.

Is it what I think it is?

What do you think it is?

It appears to be some sort of, kind of, almost Awakening?

No. More mundane than that.

Footnote: VenDell was merely changing suits.
source

16 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

A recent WoB that's got me thinking about our mysterious kandra worldhopper and bringing this thread back up:

Brandon's phrasing there strikes me as a little odd. He doesn't say the phrase will help us find Terris people; he says "people who have been socialized like Terris people." It comes across a little verbose; why is he being that specific? It makes me wonder if WalDo has been exposed to enough Terris influence that she has picked up on this trait, and that's the specific person that Brandon had in mind at the end of his answer. Because she wouldn't strictly be Terris; she'd have some Terris-influenced speaking patterns.

So, do we have any characters in Oathbringer who have that particular affectation? Because remember:

Just did a word search of Oathbringer and the only significant use of "I think" is in the epigraph from Harmony. So, that might be what Brandon is suggesting.

What about creepy old guy in ally in edgedancer?  The one made of cremlings?  Granted, he killed humans, and he's made of cremlings, but what if a kandra can make his bones be cremlings instead?  That aside, have we investigated vivena in storm light?  In shadesmar, her hair turns white, then back to black, but what if, instead of it being normal royal hair, it was actually a kandra trick?  After all, no one knows how she really got to Roshar.

So the creepy crab guy was a Sleepless. Their the rosharian equivalent to kandra (kandra are a lot better!) As to Vivena... Kandra can't control hair. They have to eat the hair from a corpse and put each hair into place individually. So I don't think a Kandra would be able to manipulate the royal hair.

3 hours ago, Calderis said:

I strongly disagree. Sleepless are freaking amazing. 

Sleepless can barely pass as humans while Kandra are perfect imitations! I DO agree that the sleepless have many advantages... But Kandra are the better spies:D (this opinion is subject to change as the series continues.) 

45 minutes ago, Steel Inqusitive said:

Sleepless can barely pass as humans while Kandra are perfect imitations! I DO agree that the sleepless have many advantages... But Kandra are the better spies:D (this opinion is subject to change as the series continues.) 

Sleepless can just be a fly on the wall. Literally.