The Chat Thread

Archer

4 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Sure is! I'm happy to chime in and offer help but I do think plotbuilding should be a collaborative effort, helps everyone get involved and invested.

Just now, Edema Rue said:

I have very little experience roleplaying, what kind of plot usually works best?

First, what are the basics of the Alleyverse? Is there a magic system?

There are some that are unique to the AV, but primarily it's a setting involving the entirety of Brandon's works in a single cultural melting pot of a city. So the magic system is all that you might find throughout the cosmere and beyond. 

3 hours ago, ΨιτιsτηεΒέsτ said:

Ok is this where we should discuss a plot? 

@Ancient Elantrian @Edema Rue @TheRavenHasLanded

@AonEne @Arlin @Ashbringer @.....

@Ravenclawjedi42

@Koloss17

@Aeoryi

You all expressed interest, if we are discussing plot you should be here.

Hmmmmm...plot. I had an idea for a character from Kilhato chasing after a Worldhopper lover that eventually settled down in Alleycity. I'm not sure how much or how little that should influence the plot, though.

So I have this character called Perses who is an A-Bronze F-Tin Twinborn. He’s fully blind, so is not used to sight, and so has become (along with the help of reverse compounding) a bit of an F-Tin savant. He’s had a bit of experience carrying around breaths, so there’s that too.

I think it would be pretty cool if in some time skip (doesn’t need to be much more than like 3 months) he became a villain-type and gained both an A-Iron and A-steel spike, as well as maybe reaching fifth heightening. He could act as a somewhat big bad, with the main intent of gaining a foothold in the Alleyverse underground, while being untethered to a guild.

9 hours ago, Voidus said:

There are some that are unique to the AV, but primarily it's a setting involving the entirety of Brandon's works in a single cultural melting pot of a city. So the magic system is all that you might find throughout the cosmere and beyond. 

Cool! Is there anything that Is currently stopping us from doing it? What should I know before I start one?  
If there is stuff, can you pm me? @Voidus

4 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

So I have this character called Perses who is an A-Bronze F-Tin Twinborn. He’s fully blind, so is not used to sight, and so has become (along with the help of reverse compounding) a bit of an F-Tin savant. He’s had a bit of experience carrying around breaths, so there’s that too.

I think it would be pretty cool if in some time skip (doesn’t need to be much more than like 3 months) he became a villain-type and gained both an A-Iron and A-steel spike, as well as maybe reaching fifth heightening. He could act as a somewhat big bad, with the main intent of gaining a foothold in the Alleyverse underground, while being untethered to a guild.

Not going to lie, that is actually awesome.

12 minutes ago, Ravenclawjedi42 said:

So I have a character idea I’ve posted about once or twice. In times of old, that would be put in one of the character threads to be reviewed by mods or it get feedback (I think). Should I do that, or wait until we have more plot?

I’d go ahead and stick it in the Era 6 Characters Thread, unless you’d want to craft your character specifically to a plot (which can be done, but is more a preference thing). 

1 hour ago, ΨιτιsτηεΒέsτ said:

Cool! Is there anything that Is currently stopping us from doing it? What should I know before I start one?  
If there is stuff, can you pm me? @Voidus

Might be good to find some of the older Era 6 plans - none of them got off the ground so much, but they should give a sense of what ideas were around, and how Era 5 ended. (The Alleyverse is… weird, to put it mildly.)

Otherwise, the main thing needed is people and characters. A plan would be helpful, too, but since when has anything here gone to plan?

3 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

I’d go ahead and stick it in the Era 6 Characters Thread, unless you’d want to craft your character specifically to a plot (which can be done, but is more a preference thing). 

Might be good to find some of the older Era 6 plans - none of them got off the ground so much, but they should give a sense of what ideas were around, and how Era 5 ended. (The Alleyverse is… weird, to put it mildly.)

Otherwise, the main thing needed is people and characters. A plan would be helpful, too, but since when has anything here gone to plan?

Where would I find these plans? 
I think we have the people!

Okay got a summary of the old plans for the Era.

Era6 was going focus on the immediate consequences of the Forgery breaking and how the Guilds and people of the city rebuild and recover in the aftermath. Including the introduction people created during Forgery.  

With three major events planed ahead. 1. A citywide vigil two weeks after the Forgery while the Guilds hold a meeting to brief themselves on what just happened 2. The Cityspren denying the DA access to the Worldspike and 3. The city starting the construction of a subway system that inadvertently causes a rapid expansion of new Alleys that the DA doesn’t have control over.

There was also a crime ring plot being talked about, another plot that involved a conflict over public opinion and new DA head that could have an effect on the Cityspren and also the idea thrown around of splinters of the Cityspren operating/playing a role in the public transportation system.

Edited by Arlin

I feel like to make a plot, we need characters. And to make sure the characters are fun enough to roleplay that they’ll stick around. I certainly have some updating to do on Perses, but I think knowing what pieces we’re playing with can help give direction to a plot.

34 minutes ago, Arlin said:

Okay got a summary of the old plans for the Era.

Era6 was going focus on the immediate consequences of the Forgery breaking and how the Guilds and people of the city rebuild and recover in the aftermath. Including the introduction people created during Forgery.  

With three major events planed ahead. 1. A citywide vigil two weeks after the Forgery while the Guilds hold a meeting to brief themselves on what just happened 2. The Cityspren denying the DA access to the Worldspike and 3. The city starting the construction of a subway system that inadvertently causes a rapid expansion of new Alleys that the DA doesn’t have control over.

There was also a crime ring plot being talked about, another plot that involved a conflict over public opinion and new DA head that could have an effect on the Cityspren and also the idea thrown around of splinters of the Cityspren operating/playing a role in the public transportation system.

That sounds pretty good. But I would definitely need help doing it.

7 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

I feel like to make a plot, we need characters. And to make sure the characters are fun enough to roleplay that they’ll stick around. I certainly have some updating to do on Perses, but I think knowing what pieces we’re playing with can help give direction to a plot.

I agree. For this, everyone make well developed people. Not just like other row with random stuff thrown together.

16 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

I’ve made my character, but I had an idea for a villain…am I allowed to have two? Would I have time for two?

Edited by Ravenclawjedi42

I’ve made my character, but I had an idea for a villain…am I allowed to have two? Would I have time for two?

You can absolutely have more than one character as long as they get approved, we have never had a limit on how many characters you can play. A in fact most people have at least two active during any era.

Having multiple characters can help you stay active if a certain area of the rp gets slow.

2 minutes ago, Arlin said:

You can absolutely have more than one character as long as they get approved, we have never had a limit on how many characters you can play. A in fact most people have at least two active during any era.

Having multiple characters can help you stay active if a certain area of the rp gets slow.

So it’s beneficial to have multiple characters 😀! I was worried about what effect that would have 😅. I’ll wait for my current one to get approved before submitting the next.

I have... four characters, last I checked? Four an a half if you count my shopkeeper-quasi-NPC who does shopkeeping when Cassie is busy doing adventure things. (Then five an a half if you count Tyrian the Edgelord, which... I don't :P).

Multiple characters is nice to do things in multiple places, although it can get a bit awkward if your own characters start interacting, whether they know each other in character or not. Totally doable though.

Speaking of characters, I might be able to whip up something my DA Department Head character (Kalten Winterheart) could sponsor. Maybe. Might end up more of a starting hook depending on how much time I have.

1 hour ago, Ashbringer said:

Speaking of characters, I might be able to whip up something my DA Department Head character (Kalten Winterheart) could sponsor. Maybe. Might end up more of a starting hook depending on how much time I have.

We should talk eventually about how Kalten’s PR activities and Bell’s column do or don’t interact, if we still end up doing the light info war thing.

Edited by Arlin

6 hours ago, ΨιτιsτηεΒέsτ said:

Should we make a suggested character deadline? Like, try to have our characters done by the end of the week?

Well, I can certainly get my Perses updated (no clue how I would formalize that) within a few days. Probably having the weekend to forge characters would be beneficial.

So we could try to all have our characters done by Monday. I’ll start thinking of more stuff for my possible villain character.

I think that would certainly help! Obviously people have lives, and spending time to formulate a character for a random forum roleplay is not the highest on their list of priorities, but if a few of us have characters chosen, we can start formulating a plot that the stragglers can fit into.

3 hours ago, Ravenclawjedi42 said:

So we could try to all have our characters done by Monday

I can't manage that my character is not going to be done anytime soon. also I need a name any suggestions?

3 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

but if a few of us have characters chosen, we can start formulating a plot that the stragglers can fit into.

I'll probably be a straggler