The Chat Thread

Archer

4 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

So what you’re telling me is that we have a cook, a scholar, a spy, someone that goes wherever the wind tells them to, a support character, and a power-hungry villain.

What plot can we make with that??

I’m open to any suggestions you can throw in here. The Alleyverse is essentially a collaborative creative writing narrative. So be creative! Get them juices flowing. The last plot event was the whole city being forged, for Harmony’s sake! The world is our oyster.

Essentially, all we need is a hook. Some sort of exposition. We forge the rising action and actual plot as we go along. We need the scene to be set, a concept to be planted.

A hook like, people going missing could work considering how close to reality it is

Also, I forgot how much of a chore it is to make an alleyverse character now:( 

But I'll promise to do it eventually 

Another option for an initiating event is to have Perses cause some sort of large scale destruction (like the destruction of a central building with people still inside, or multiple hits on a local gang, causing civilian casualties) that others investigate. The main downside to this is that I’m not sure how many of the characters would be they type to investigate such a disturbance. And frankly, we can have multiple initiating events, if we want to start off small without a huge world altering event.

19 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

Another option for an initiating event is to have Perses cause some sort of large scale destruction (like the destruction of a central building with people still inside, or multiple hits on a local gang, causing civilian casualties) that others investigate. The main downside to this is that I’m not sure how many of the characters would be they type to investigate such a disturbance. And frankly, we can have multiple initiating events, if we want to start off small without a huge world altering event.

I think that Keshi would perhaps investigate this sort of thing, and Itsuki may also in search for information, for anything outside of the ordinary interests him, thinking that it may be related to Vinette. And maybe also @Ancient Elantrian’s character, whose name I forget, to see how the event occurred. I think that it wouldn’t be too hard for our characters to be interested in this.

27 minutes ago, Ookla thePresentParticiple said:

I think that Keshi would perhaps investigate this sort of thing, and Itsuki may also in search for information, for anything outside of the ordinary interests him, thinking that it may be related to Vinette. And maybe also @Ancient Elantrian’s character, whose name I forget, to see how the event occurred. I think that it wouldn’t be too hard for our characters to be interested in this.

Well, I can start with that, to get the ball rolling. Alternatively, some of the characters can happen to be in a building that I’m destroying, which could start off some action.

1 hour ago, Ookla thePresentParticiple said:

What now?

What happened here while I was gone?

Ploty-ploty whatnot?

Please explain?

48 minutes ago, Ookla the Prehistoric said:

What now?

What happened here while I was gone?

Ploty-ploty whatnot?

Please explain?

Nothing really happened, we’re just starting to brainstorm plot ideas. We may have Perses (Koloss17’s character) destroy something, which would start investigation into his actions.

4 minutes ago, Ookla thePresentParticiple said:

Nothing really happened, we’re just starting to brainstorm plot ideas. We may have Perses (Koloss17’s character) destroy something, which would start investigation into his actions.

And where does my character come in?

Am I helping investigate?

So are we thinking to have this be relatively small scale? And should I just start up a thread, and get the ball rolling with Perses chaos? Or should we wait a bit more and brainstorm? I’m open to options, I just don’t want to be twiddling thumbs waiting for something to happen.

21 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

So are we thinking to have this be relatively small scale? And should I just start up a thread, and get the ball rolling with Perses chaos? Or should we wait a bit more and brainstorm? I’m open to options, I just don’t want to be twiddling thumbs waiting for something to happen.

I kind of think, since we’re taking a while to come up with ideas, it would be better if we just started RPing and see where that takes us.

4 hours ago, Ookla thePresentParticiple said:

I kind of think, since we’re taking a while to come up with ideas, it would be better if we just started RPing and see where that takes us.

Seems fair to me! I’ll begin a brewing. First though, the Era 7 thread shall be formed.

for those with interest in investigating Perses’ ahem…incidents, I’d say it’s safe to say that the most recent event was not his first hit.

Edited by Ookla the Windwhisperer

On 11/1/2023 at 8:59 PM, Arlin said:

You can absolutely have more than one character as long as they get approved, we have never had a limit on how many characters you can play.

I think we did limit it to 6 or 7 at one point, but that hasn't been an issue in ages lol. 

On 11/2/2023 at 8:37 PM, Ookla the Windwhisperer said:

However, this biggest thing (and this applies to everyone really) is that right now we need commitment. And I get that that’s something that won’t be a certainty until you try out your character, but it’s important that while making a character, you make sure to flesh them out. Make them feel real. A character that is just a cool party trick will not get you very far when all of the roleplay is going to be you telling a story with another person. Forum roleplay is a lot different than tabletop roleplay. This is cooperative storytelling, not D&D. There’s no stats, there’s no leveling up. Everything is nebulous, and that makes things so much harder. You don’t have to stick with a character, but playing a character that plays a big role in a plot line and realizing a third of the way through that the character is not very interesting to roleplay is exactly how the Alleyverse died out in the first place. Give your characters life, and think of this as creative writing, not D&D. 

I wouldn't say this was everyone's reason, but definitely it was some. Hard agree on everything else you're saying; the Alleyverse is a free-form roleplay, but it's closer to collaborative fanfiction than it is something like TLT. 

On 11/6/2023 at 11:26 AM, Ookla the Windwhisperer said:

I have a power hungry semi inquisitor that has *trauma* and anger issues

@Ravenclawjedi42 has a character which it think might get knocked down for having a character related to a book that has not yet breached quarantine

Hey same! Except for the 'semi' part. And maybe the power-hungry part. 

I'll toss the question to the other AV mods, but I imagine we can be cool with Yumi stuff (honestly probably will approve all recent works). 

Thanks for your efforts in spurring things along, Koloss, you're great ☺️ 

I'm going to be RPing Deteca and Marie if I can manage it, so we've got the head of TUBA and a recovering Inquisitor at our disposal. I bet Marie could have some very interesting conflict over your villain. Deteca, on the other hand, has a very strong reason to want to stop disasters in the Alleyverse, namely that she lives and works here and has a responsibility to a lot of people. 

7 hours ago, Ookla the Glossy said:

I think we did limit it to 6 or 7 at one point, but that hasn't been an issue in ages lol. 

I wouldn't say this was everyone's reason, but definitely it was some. Hard agree on everything else you're saying; the Alleyverse is a free-form roleplay, but it's closer to collaborative fanfiction than it is something like TLT. 

Hey same! Except for the 'semi' part. And maybe the power-hungry part. 

I'll toss the question to the other AV mods, but I imagine we can be cool with Yumi stuff (honestly probably will approve all recent works). 

Thanks for your efforts in spurring things along, Koloss, you're great ☺️ 

I'm going to be RPing Deteca and Marie if I can manage it, so we've got the head of TUBA and a recovering Inquisitor at our disposal. I bet Marie could have some very interesting conflict over your villain. Deteca, on the other hand, has a very strong reason to want to stop disasters in the Alleyverse, namely that she lives and works here and has a responsibility to a lot of people. 

Actually, we were just wondering how an investigation into Perses’ actions could be initiated! And frankly, TUBA would be an excellent way to kick that off! Obviously there can be some lone wolves, but many of the characters seem to want some sort of group to be in. Not necessarily a guild, but something where there would be some leading figure.

However, depending on how TUBA works nowadays, @Ookla thePresentParticiple’s character might actually be interesting in joining TUBA…

33 minutes ago, Ookla the Windwhisperer said:

Actually, we were just wondering how an investigation into Perses’ actions could be initiated! And frankly, TUBA would be an excellent way to kick that off! Obviously there can be some lone wolves, but many of the characters seem to want some sort of group to be in. Not necessarily a guild, but something where there would be some leading figure.

However, depending on how TUBA works nowadays, @Ookla thePresentParticiple’s character might actually be interesting in joining TUBA…

That could be interesting! I don’t think I want him a member right now, but maybe him joining could be part of the plot?

1 minute ago, Ookla thePresentParticiple said:

That could be interesting! I don’t think I want him a member right now, but maybe him joining could be part of the plot?

Exactly! Something to consider.

Edited by Ookla the Windwhisperer

5 hours ago, OokIa the Believer said:

Ahhh! I am in! I’ll be playing a young man who is super power hungry. He was born rich, but recently lost his money. He is currently nameless and I’ll develop him soon. 

Let me or ene know! I have been temporarily promoted to a character approver (I’m still very happy about that).

@Ookla the Prehistoric there are some named locations, especially named areas and districts. It’s in the guide to Alleycity thread. However, for specific places, like a house or an inn, most of the time, you are free to make up places.

Just now, Ookla the Windwhisperer said:

@Ookla the Prehistoric there are some named locations, especially named areas and districts. It’s in the guide to Alleycity thread. However, for specific places, like a house or an inn, most of the time, you are free to make up places.

Okie dokie.

6 hours ago, Ookla thePresentParticiple said:

Could absolutely do that! 

2 hours ago, Ookla of Ravens said:

i updated my character sheet!

Cool, I'll hop on over to look at that, sorry for the delay

@Ookla the Prehistoric and @Ookla the Believer, a quick note: we often try to discourage such a brief message in era threads, as it leads to an oversaturation of posts. I completely understand the need for a conversation to be held between characters, but it is often useful to add more than just a single line of dialogue to your post. Give some inner monologue of your character, or what they see as they interact with this character. Additionally, unlike regular conversation, you can easily ask multiple questions or lines of dialogue before the other person responds. An excellent example is me and Ookla of Whimsy’s conversation, where we tackled a lot in a single exchange. I dove into my character’s current mood, a bit of characterization, a hint of their madness, and how they interact with the world, on top of their initial thoughts on Asylum. 

@Ookla of whimsy, on the other hand, dove heavily into their character’s backstory, along with giving a taste of what their character is like, so that the rest of us know what to expect when interacting with them.

Keep in mind: as @Ookla the Glossy said, this is much more like collaborative fan fiction than a standard TTRPG. Though a simple back and forth conversation would be quite normal in a game like Dungeons & Dragons, or even the Mistborn RPG, things are different here. There is not dungeon master to give a taste for the scenery or ambiance; that’s our collective mission. We form the story together, without a clear leader. That’s the core of what makes the Alleyverse so cool. It’s a challenge for sure, but I think it is a fun one. You two haven’t done anything per se, it’s just not the norm for this type of Roleplay. If you want more than just me and Ookla of Whimsy’s conversation, go check out the Era 6 threads. There are absolutely shining examples there, made by so many Sharders.

best of luck, and most importantly, have fun!

1 minute ago, Ookla the Windwhisperer said:

@Ookla the Prehistoric and @Ookla the Believer, a quick note: we often try to discourage such a brief message in era threads, as it leads to an oversaturation of posts. I completely understand the need for a conversation to be held between characters, but it is often useful to add more than just a single line of dialogue to your post. Give some inner monologue of your character, or what they see as they interact with this character. Additionally, unlike regular conversation, you can easily ask multiple questions or lines of dialogue before the other person responds. An excellent example is me and Ookla of Whimsy’s conversation, where we tackled a lot in a single exchange. I dove into my character’s current mood, a bit of characterization, a hint of their madness, and how they interact with the world, on top of their initial thoughts on Asylum. 

@Ookla of whimsy, on the other hand, dove heavily into their character’s backstory, along with giving a taste of what their character is like, so that the rest of us know what to expect when interacting with them.

Keep in mind: as @Ookla the Glossy said, this is much more like collaborative fan fiction than a standard TTRPG. Though a simple back and forth conversation would be quite normal in a game like Dungeons & Dragons, or even the Mistborn RPG, things are different here. There is not dungeon master to give a taste for the scenery or ambiance; that’s our collective mission. We form the story together, without a clear leader. That’s the core of what makes the Alleyverse so cool. It’s a challenge for sure, but I think it is a fun one. You two haven’t done anything per se, it’s just not the norm for this type of Roleplay. If you want more than just me and Ookla of Whimsy’s conversation, go check out the Era 6 threads. There are absolutely shining examples there, made by so many Sharders.

Okay, sorry bout that! 

1 minute ago, Ookla the Windwhisperer said:

Ah, okay, thanks! I’ll try to do more of that :)

3 minutes ago, Ookla the Prehistoric said:

Okay, sorry bout that! 

3 minutes ago, Ookla the Believer said:

Ah, okay, thanks! I’ll try to do more of that :)

And to not scare you folks off: it does not have to be a long post by any means. Just think of it in more of a book writing sense than a play writing sense, and you will be most of the way there. There really doesn’t have to be all that much. If you give a bit of description to what you deem necessary, and bit of inner dialogue, and you’ll be just fine. At times, only a single paragraph will suffice. The thing that’s fun, for me at least, is to test your inner author, and to clash and blend with others’ inner author. However, in the end, it boils down to what is the most fun way for you to roleplay, while still keeping it interesting for whoever you are RPing with.