Is it Possible to Store Death with Feruchemy

Lightsworn Panda

Okay, so we know that feruchemy can store qualities like strength, eyesight, even weight. Rashek stored youth in his metalminds, So can feruchemy store Death? Would storing Death make someone immortal (since death is being taken away and saved?). What do you think could store death? How could you use them?

Storing death? Seems all good, right? But your cells keep growing. Your cells keep reproducing. The Feruchemy doesn't take cellular mitosis into account. If you store death, your cells will reproduce like a cancer, unable to die to leave space for new cells. You will become an enormous, horrifyingly eldritch tumor.

At least, that's what my understanding of biology is. Feel free to poke holes.

There are a Near infinite alloys of Atium that you could store things in, But How would you Store Death? Wouldn't you have to be dead?

But what else could you Store? Fertility? Generosity? Emotions in General? Mental senses (Sense of Direction, time, ect.)?

I could see using duralumin to store connection being used to store life sense. The same sense you get with breath. Storing would of course take away your connection, but is it just human connection, or connections in general? Imagine tapping connection and suddenly being very aware of everything going on around you. Feeling people looking at you, getting the feel of the general emotion in a crowd etc...

Okay, to clarify:

What I mean is to store the very essence of death. You will have to constantly and continuously store death, and you will be a bit like a pseudo-immortal, since you neither grow nor decay. You will have to be on the brink of or near death to store death, unfortunately, so one mistake and you could genuinely die. Think of it like channeling water from a tap to a bucket with a hose. Death is coming in, but instead you're storing it in another (undying) object rather than let it take and wash over you, pun unintended)

Hmm... This does lead to the interesting idea of storing life (not youth, like he Lord Ruler).

Edited by Lightsworn Panda

Storing death? Seems all good, right? But your cells keep growing. Your cells keep reproducing. The Feruchemy doesn't take cellular mitosis into account. If you store death, your cells will reproduce like a cancer, unable to die to leave space for new cells. You will become an enormous, horrifyingly eldritch tumor.

At least, that's what my understanding of biology is. Feel free to poke holes.

Upvote for "eldritch".

Well, storing Weight is really handy, arguably more so than tapping it.

Sazed disagrees. Regardless I stand by my all upside stance. There is no use at all to tapping death. And since it s actual death, not injury, I doubt you could use Feruchemical gold to survive it

A Feruchemist can only store a positive not a negative. For example they store heat not cold, Strength not weakness, Sight not blindness. Using this as a pattern I think that a Feruchemist stores life in all its aspects, e.g youth, health, investiture, identity, memory. So no I don't think it is possible to store death because it is a lack of life rather than a presence of death. Understand?

A Feruchemist can only store a positive not a negative. For example they store heat not cold, Strength not weakness, Sight not blindness. Using this as a pattern I think that a Feruchemist stores life in all its aspects, e.g youth, health, investiture, identity, memory. So no I don't think it is possible to store death because it is a lack of life rather than a presence of death. Understand?

They store life but not death, strength but not weakness... can a Feruchemist store journey but not destination?

Have an upvote for a really well made point, sir.

Death is a permanent state. Either you are death or you aren´t, so no, no storing Death. That and the negative thing CrystalBodies said. However, what might be possible is storing the process of aging/Cell progression/phisical activity or something like that. Basically this would boil down to tapping stopping such things as aging, digestion, healing wound and all the other process that our body constantly carrys out. Effectively putting the body in a kind of stasis. When you tap those process take place faster. On the one hand that would give you faster healing and stamina regeneration. On the other hand you would also need more food for energy and age faster.

Yes, overall this does seem like something a Feruchemist could store and is somewhat balanced. 

Heh, as a sidenote

dyring the sneaky bloodmaker wants to fill his enourmous gold metalmind, but dont fancy being sickly for 236 years.

Dyring is, ofcourse, an accompliced worldhopper, and goes to find a radiant able to cast regrowth. He then "accidentically" stabs himself infront of said radiant in a location with lots of stormlight.

Said radiant begins to heal, as Dyring stores away.

All lights dim, Radiant goes This post has been reported for attempting to skirt the rules healing don´t work?(or in the case of lift, goes REALLY skinny) ;). Dyring finaly lets the heal hits as his metalmind is full and walks away with enough healing for a 24:hour cagefight with a bear.

Hey, something I thought up: (WoR Elantris Mistborn spoilers)

Moelach, the spren responsible for the perimortem vocalisations (Death Rattles, if you must be crude) is referenced as feeding off of "the spark of death itself."

This suggests that, realmatically, the transition of a soul beyond the Realms produces some kind of energy, which is consumed to produce prescient and/or retriscient and/or high-awareness viewings and phrases, spoken just before - or possibly just after, or during - the event of death.

So, it's possible that this "phase shift" releases Investiture of some kind that can be harnessed, and their degree of perception suggests something like duralumin-boosted atium, if in a more limited and random capacity.

If the energy of death is only released at death, though, it implies that either you need it to live, or you need to release it to die. The result of storing it without dying first might either result in you dying anyway, because this energy sustains your life on a basic level, or it might trap you in a pre-Raoden post-Chasm Elantrian-type state, where you have all the problems of undeath and none of the benefits. Except immortality, obviously.

Edited by Swimmingly

• 2 weeks later...

Death is a permanent state. Either you are death or you aren´t, so no, no storing Death. That and the negative thing CrystalBodies said. However, what might be possible is storing the process of aging/Cell progression/phisical activity or something like that. Basically this would boil down to tapping stopping such things as aging, digestion, healing wound and all the other process that our body constantly carrys out. Effectively putting the body in a kind of stasis. When you tap those process take place faster. On the one hand that would give you faster healing and stamina regeneration. On the other hand you would also need more food for energy and age faster.

Yes, overall this does seem like something a Feruchemist could store and is somewhat balanced. 

Since nutrition, health, senses, heat, and age are all canonically things that Feruchemists can store, I would have to agree with you not only that the general principle is sound, but that many of the specifics you list are in fact the essence of Feruchemcy, canonically.

• Chaos locked this topic