(weird theory) All Iriali are descendants of worldhoppers

RadiantNights

There's this really weird quote from Ym in his interlude. He is fitting the little boy for the pair of shoes when the little boy asks why he's going to give him a pair of shoes for only a story and Ym explains how they are "one". He then explains how at first everyone was "one" and knew everything but experienced nothing and so the "one" split into many. (exactly like andonalism) Then here's the quote the little boy asks if the "one" is God but Ym says he should accept no God because "we are Iriali, and part of the Long Trail, of which this is the Fourth Land"

This quote made me wonder. The "Long Trail" and "the Fourth Land" really sounds like the Iriali people have been traveling from cosmere planet to cosmere planet for some time and that Roshar is the fourth one they've settled on. They also seem to be much more "cosmere aware" than the rest of the people we've seen in any of the Sanderson books, I mean not even Harmony really knew what andonalism was.

So are the Iriali all descendants of a mass immigration of worldhoppers? And if so where would they have come from?

First, I'm quite sure the population of worldhoppers isn't very high. The actual 17th Shard organization wouldn't be too happy about it. Also, I think the Iriali are only a nomad population that ended up settling down in a fourth land. Their almost Adolnasium belief may be just Hoid or some other worldhopper meddling around.

There is something weird about the Iriali, but I don't think it's quite like that. Interestingly, Roshar is the fourth Shardworld we get to explore (after Sel, Scadrial, and Nalthis). 

There is something weird about the Iriali, but I don't think it's quite like that. Interestingly, Roshar is the fourth Shardworld we get to explore (after Sel, Scadrial, and Nalthis).

However, Peter confirmed that that is unrelated: iirc he said "It's not a meta comment." in response to that theory.

Ah, right. I had forgotten about that. Brandon did confirm that the Long Trail is related to the cosmere, however - which might have been him wiggling out of the question (everything is related to the cosmere because it takes place inside it), but I didn't get that impression.

• Chaos locked this topic