The Last Post Wins!!!!!

8:31 here. Also EST.

Not quite a holiday I'm afraid ^_^. So no special foods or customs besides not eating anything. It's a commemoration of the day when Jerusalem was put under siege, I think. There are a lot of fasts - all remembering different tragedies and the like. This time of year after Chanukah is pretty much holiday-less, next one is in March (?), though it varies year by year depending on how the calendars line up.

No offense taken. Explaining strange Jewish stuff I do is always pretty fun.

*searches for the miscommunication*

Right. Sorry. That was a tad confusing.

The 8th night of Chanukah was last week. And there were presents and/or money involved. 

This fast, Asarah b'tevet, is seperate. It's for something that happened in a different year than the events of what the celebration of Chanukah is for. 

Edited by Silva
Fact-checked.

1 minute ago, Silva said:

8:31 here. Also EST.

Not quite a holiday I'm afraid ^_^. So no special foods or customs besides not eating anything. It's a commemoration of the day when Jerusalem was put under siege, I think. There are a lot of fasts - all remembering different tragedies and the like. This time of year after Chanukah is pretty much holiday-less, next one is in March (?), though it varies year by year depending on how the calendars line up.

No offense taken. Explaining strange Jewish stuff I do is always pretty fun.

Not a holiday yet. @Silva. it is as you said it's the day Nebuchadnezzar of babylon laid siege to Jerusalem about 2500 years ago. It took him a year and half (i think) to breach the walls.

Generally there are six fasts all year round.

The first is right after the Jewish new year, in remembernce to an assassination that led to the total desolation of the Holly Land.

Second is yom Kippur wich I'm not going to explain now.

Third is today, tomorrow your time.

Forth is in remembernce of a Holocaust like event that was prevented in the nick of time. It comes with the next holiday.

Spoiler

Four months ahead of us.

Fifth is the day the wall was breached in the above mentioned siege.

Sixth is the day that (on almost 500 years interval) the temple upon temple mount was destroyed.

In all the Jews are forbidden to eat and drink, on the sixth one known as tish'a be'av we are olso forbidden to shower and wear leather shoes.

Does that slack your thirst for knowledge?

1 minute ago, Ookla the ingenious said:

In all the Jews are forbidden to eat and drink, on the sixth one known as tish'a be'av we are olso forbidden to shower and wear leather shoes.

And sit on normal height chairs.

I'm impressed @Ookla the ingenious. How do you remember when they all are as well what they all are for? 

@Silva do you know Chabad? I'm that. so...

you get the idea.

And actually there is a trick, all you need to remember is:

איש, אישה. שחור, לבן. ארוך, קצר

גדליה, אסתר. תשעה באב, כיפור. י"ז בתמוז, עשרה בטבת

So the sign is:

Man, woman. Black, white. Long, short.

Man is the first in the above post.

Woman is the forth.

Balck is the sixth.

White is the second.

Long is the fifth. 

Short is the third. which i start in 10 minutes.

And what have i forgot @Silva?

Wow! Are you studying theology? Like to be a Rabbi? Do you get superpowers studying that much? Do you see Concentrationspren around you all the time? And thanks for the info! Really neat! My holidays consist of opening presents and my "religion" consists of staring up in space going wow! I'm alive! ....is that an alien spaceship? Perpendicularity? Wormhole? Much philosophical ponderings.

8 hours ago, Ookla the ingenious said:

And what have i forgot @Silva?

The one for only firstborn males before Pesach. It has some fancy name.

8 hours ago, Ookla the ingenious said:

do you know Chabad?

*lives around three houses down from her local Chabad*

Chabad's almost everywhere. It'd be pretty hard not to. ^_^