Music

One song? One song?? I am FAR too obsessed with music to recommend only one song. So, here's a slew of recommendations, spread across a variety of genres.

Though I have linked only one song per artist, I consider each selection a recommendation for the artists/albums from which they were taken. If you like the one song, check out the rest.

The Piano Guys - Kung Fu Piano: Cello Ascends - A beautiful and emotional mashup of Kung Fu Panda and Chopin, with some modern beats thrown in.

The Duhks - Toujours Vouloir - A great song from a great band I recently discovered. Few of their songs are in French, but some of my favorites from them (including this one) are.

Vienna Teng - Landsailor - Vienna Teng is made of win. I'd recommend her two newest albums over the rest.

Smooth McGroove - Super Smash Bros. Mele - Menu 1 Acapella - Smooth McGroove AKA Max Gleason records astonishing acapella arrangements of video game music. And his videos are a lot of fun to watch.

Chris Thile - Raining at Sunset - If you listen to any bluegrass at all, you've probably heard some of this guy's work. IMO he's at the forefront of the genre. This is one of his older songs; he's done some amazing things since, but there's something captivating about this track in particular.

Paramore - Proof - Odds are you've heard this already. In case you haven't, I think it's pretty great.

Marchfourth Marching Band - Gospel - If you watched Monster's University, you heard this song several times. For some reason, it's not on the official soundtrack, despite being the best song in the movie.

Rodrigo y Gabriela - Tamacun - Some of the best guitaristas in the world, period. I can scarcely believe that much music is coming out of two guitars.

Zircon - System - I've only recently started getting into electronic music. Zircon is king of the track that moves. This one has helped me out on more than one workout.

Hayley Westenra - Quanta Qualia - It's hard not to fall in love with this girl's voice. High, pure and clear.

Pentatonix w/Lindsay Sterling - Radioactive - The best version of a frequently-covered song. I like it better than the original, by far.

Rush - The Garden - Rush is the greatest rock band of all time (it absolutely is), and they're still putting out great stuff.

All of Within Temptation's songs. And Delain's.

You're welcome.

Loaded up Within Temptation on Spotify. I'm two songs in. So far...kind of like the unholy love child of Evanescence and Alter Bridge. That's a compliment, by the way. ;)

I was literally just thinking yesterday of posting a music topic. Great minds think alike! ;)

Recently I've had

by Radiohead in my head constantly. IMO the best song off of OK Computer, an iconic album. It is a chilling song, with an oddly conventional song structure for Radiohead (verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus), but the music itself is beautiful. It actually forms a great song pair with the song before it on the album,

Alcohol by Timeflies Tuesday (it's Vanossgaming's outro, for those of you who know him) and Wouldn't it Be by Upper West (Not "Wouldn't it Be Nice")

If no one minds classical music, then I recommend:

• The William Tell Overture
  • Beethoven's 5th Symphony
  • Comptine d'un Autre été (sad but good piece)
Edited by Lightsworn Panda

Loaded up Within Temptation on Spotify. I'm two songs in. So far...kind of like the unholy love child of Evanescence and Alter Bridge. That's a compliment, by the way. ;)

I happen to like both bands, but in all honesty WT is a lot better than both. Delain, too. The fanboy is me is obsessed enough that I've essentially been stuck listening to both their latest albums recently.

Which ones did you listen to?

Edited by Ketek

I happen to like both bands, but in all honesty WT is a lot better than both. Delain, too. The fanboy is me is obsessed enough that I've essentially been stuck listening to both their latest albums recently.

Which ones did you listen to?

I listened to their newest, whatever it's called. I really liked most of it; the main exception was when they brought in a male vocalist to do his best Korn impression.

Loaded up Delain today, found it not much to my liking. Could have just been my mood.

I listened to their newest, whatever it's called. I really liked most of it; the main exception was when they brought in a male vocalist to do his best Korn impression.

Loaded up Delain today, found it not much to my liking. Could have just been my mood.

YOU HATED DANGEROUS?! But it was awesome! 

Silver Moonlight is totally awesome though. Always brought Szeth to mind for me. Strange that you dislike Delain - they're sister bands (ex-WT member founded the latter) so I've always had the impression that if you liked one, you'd like the other.

I listen to a lot of music, so here is a bunch of random songs off the top of my head that are really good.

Canta per me - Yuki Kajiura - sorry I'm not very good at describing things, but basically this is heaven.

Moonlight - Piano Guys - this is my favorite Piano Guys piece.

Shenandoah - Peter Hollens - the quality, sound and self harmonizing are amazing in this.

Crystallize - Lindsey Stirling - she can dance and play violin at the same time! nuff said.

I Am Gold - Alex Boye - I am running out of things to say (I know it's sad) but trust me it's super great.

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger - Daft Punk -best dance song ever.

World on Fire - Les Friction -

Louder than Words - Les Friction -

Firewall - Les Friction - These three songs are some of the most epic rock songs I have ever heard.

Best of Two Steps From Hell - TSFH - most epic trailer music masters in the world.

All the rest of daft punks stuff (especially Discovery and Random Access Memories albums)

All the other songs of all the previously mentioned artists.

Also Rachmaninoff.

Rodrigo y Gabriela - Tamacun - Some of the best guitaristas in the world, period. I can scarcely believe that much music is coming out of two guitars.

This was fantastic to watch.  Thanks for the link.

For myself, I've recently found myself into indie music of all kind and it's been fun. I particularly enjoyed this song. Sea Wolf (I'm pretty sure it's just one guy?) does some very nice music. And for an indie band, the music is very nicely mastered and everything sounds clean. It's great.

There's also The Fugitives. I'm not even sure how I found them, but I've enjoyed them a surprising amount. I don't normally go for country-ish music.

Edited by Moogle

Most of what I listen to (and would therefore recommend) is metal.  Sounds like I have some company in the people above!

Time - Wintersun - You'll have to like harsher vocals at times, but the complexity of the music is fantastic

Unchain Utopia - Epica - Similar to the bands Within Temptation and Delain, but more operatic vocals

Rylynn - Andy McKee - Not metal at all, but still friggin' awesome

I just started listening to it. Chorus is... wow.

That's a very good way of putting it.   :)   They're probably my favorite symphonic metal band because of the technical ability of the instrumentalists and her vocal ability.

Good choice. I've listened to more than one Epica song, and although they're a good band I haven't fallen in love with Simons' voice like I did with Den Adel and Wessels's.

Butholyshitsheisaredheadyesilikeredheadsdontjudgeme *shifty eyes*

Good choice. I've listened to more than one Epica song, and although they're a good band I haven't fallen in love with Simons' voice like I did with Den Adel and Wessels's.

Butholyshitsheisaredheadyesilikeredheadsdontjudgeme *shifty eyes*

This is exactly what I love about music in general and why I can't understand people who get into arguments over which band or style of music is better.  There's so much music out there that you can find exactly what you like.  For instance, Ketek prefers Den Adel's voice over Simon's.  Great!  I prefer Simon's voice.  We can both enjoy what we like.

That said, metal is obviously the best genre.  :P

And, Ketek, I TOTALLY agree about red heads.   ^_^

This is exactly what I love about music in general and why I can't understand people who get into arguments over which band or style of music is better.  There's so much music out there that you can find exactly what you like.  For instance, Ketek prefers Den Adel's voice over Simon's.  Great!  I prefer Simon's voice.  We can both enjoy what we like.

That said, metal is obviously the best genre.  :P

And, Ketek, I TOTALLY agree about red heads.   ^_^

Seconded, metal is awesome. Beyond that, it's really just free choice*.

And now that I know I'm not alone out there in my love of a specific hair color, I must admit I've been wondering whether Wessels is a natural redhead who may have dyed her hair a darker shade of red...

*Unless you're listening to Nickelback, but it's not metal so yeah :P

I LOVE REDHEADS. Yesterday my wife (A ginge) and I were watching Dr. Who (the Dalek asylum episode) and at the end Karen Gilan looks over her shoulder at Rory with her hair over her face and super sexy like... I growled and my wife glared at me... I covered it with a cough and only got a "Uh-huh" from the boss.

Anyways. Lately I would have to say Basically anything from DOWN off of the Nola or Bustle In Your Hedgerow albums, or if not that than Stoned and Drunk by Black Label Society.

Edited by BreathTaker