The Three Musketeers - STEAMPUNK Version!

KChan

So. Who all here has seen any of the trailers for the new Three Musketeers movie? If you haven't, I'll go ahead and link it here so you can take a look.

Seriously, guys. This looks amazing. Beautiful design, engaging cinematography, exciting fight scenes, an epic-sounding Pirates-esque score, oh, and zeppelins. Did I mention the zeppelins? I am ridiculously excited for this movie to come out.

What about you guys? Thoughts? Comments?

I resisted this thread for a long while, mostly because I was starting to get sick of steampunk. But an insomniacs boredom knows no bounds, so here I am. I've actually watched the video now, and let me tell you: I am SO IN.

But! I disagree that it's steampunk. Nothing about it looks steampunky. The airships aren't even zeppelins; they're more like FFIV-style airships. Which, frankly, is awesome. Reminds me of that Dr. McNinja fight on the pirate airship.

I'm nervous about anything Paul W.S. Anderson, but this does look great! I hope they don't mess it up; it'll be a shame, with all those great actors involved.

Oh crap, that's who's directing? My enthusiasm is considerably more muted now.

Oh, I hope the fight scenes are good! A lot of recent movies have had them cut such that you can't see what's actually going on, mixed with random bits of slow motion. Seriously, if the fight is actually relevant to the plot it's nice to be able to tell who's doing well and why.

The costumes look awesome. Of course that's already one of my favorite periods, costume-wise. Judging by the poster, accuracy isn't what they're going for, but I am completely ok with that.

We saw this trailer in front of Cowboys & Aliens and thought, it can't be any more ridiculous than the movie we're about to see.

The costumes look awesome. Of course that's already one of my favorite periods, costume-wise. Judging by the poster, accuracy isn't what they're going for, but I am completely ok with that.

I agree completely! It bothers me when movies try to be accurate but fail miserably. This movie seems like they're purposely going for a more stylized, fantastical version that was inspired by that era. Judging by what we see in the trailer, I'd be willing to bet they pulled it off. The costumes we get to see in the video are gorgeous.

We had a great time in Cowboys & Aliens. This movie looks fun. I had no idea it existed, and now I'm looking forward to it.

It took me by surprise too. My husband showed the trailer to me out of the blue, and I was instantly excited for it. :D

Have you guys seen the super-stylized character banners? :blink:

Why is she holding a rapier like that I don't even...

Also, I did not realize that was Orlando Bloom until now. Huh.

(also, to clarify: I very much enjoyed Cowboys & Aliens, it just wasn't a movie that lent itself much to be being taken seriously)

Why is she holding a rapier like that I don't even...

i dunno, maybe it's the perspective, but it looks more like a side-sword than a rapier. It looks a bit thicker than the usual rapier to me, but it's hard to judge.

Either case, she's still holding it funny, which i'm sure is because the creators thought it looked cool.

With a name like Cowboys and Aliens, I'd be sort of surprised if anyone thought it could be taken seriously.

Well, it was originally a comic book series, so... ;)

As for the character banners, I love the costumes, but holy whoa. Is it just me or do those look almost freakishly photoshopped?

Orlando Bloom's hair scares me. His hair will scare off even Elvis' hair. :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen it.

Turns out, it's not Steampunk after all. ;)

The critics are trashing it, but I actually enjoyed it. It's by no means a good movie, but it's very entertaining. Then again, I only watched this because of Logan Lerman and Matthew Macfadyen, so it's easy to be entertained. :P

But seriously, I had fun. And Paul W.S. Anderson made a campy and cheesy take on a classic and he ran away with it; I can respect that.

Edited by almeldiel