Question about the "Pool"

scudalarm

I just wanted to ask or rather wanted to clarify things.  I've read a couple of words of Brandon, and was curious since there is one that said that a particular character that appeared in Elantris was in the book Oathbringer.

Spoiler

The Hoed that said "so beautiful" was the dude in the Lighthouse in Shadesmar that Kaladin and co met.

What about the other Elantrians that they placed in the Pool? What Happened to them?

I'm particularly interested in Saolin, are any WoB about him?

Edit: I just got to the WoBs mentioning that the Cognitive Realm in Sel is really dangerous, is that what happened to the other guys?

Edited by scudalarm

Yeah, the Riino guy they threw in ended up a fortune teller in that lighthouse. I haven't seen anything about Saolin, but it would depend on how Riino actually made it through the Cognitive Realm in the first place, which, as far as I know, we don't have anything confirmed and whether that would work for Saolin as well.

I have a feeling we'll have a bunch of Secret Histories for each of the Shardworlds, for a story with one major book and two short stories, Elantirs post a lot of questions...

I actually cannot decide which I want first, "Backstage Info", Mistborn story, Stormlight story or Elantris story

My belief is that when an Elantrian goes through the pool and into the cognitive realm, they are suddenly literally surrounded by investiture and they can draw on that to protect them from the CR/to complete their transformation. 

We do know its possible to survive. Hoid has done it. Secret history spoilers

Spoiler

So have the IRE

You just need mad protection

Edited by Ookla the Caldoversian

So I would hazard a guess, "mad protection", would entail, Knowledge that the Shadesmar/CR is behind the Pool and that it is really dangerous.  And be prepared.  Which would mean Saolin have a very low chance to survive seeing that the Post Reod Elantrians is not "aware" thus cannot properly prepare. 

Also I have another question, how would one get inducted to the IRE?

9 minutes ago, scudalarm said:

Now I'm curious, There is an entry on ars arcanum, asking if Riino was Ire, and there are some clarification if it meant the he was just ancient or he is part of the group. 

He is part of the group, likely recruited after the pool thing, leading to a theory that the Ire have a guard set at the pool to drag anyone crossing over out of harm and give them adequate protection to make it through the plasma storm that is the Dor.

15 minutes ago, Invocation said:

He is part of the group, likely recruited after the pool thing, leading to a theory that the Ire have a guard set at the pool to drag anyone crossing over out of harm and give them adequate protection to make it through the plasma storm that is the Dor.

Would that mean any of the other Elantrians they placed in the Pool might have been invited to the Ire as well, (This is me grasping at straws hoping Saolin is alive in some shape or form)

Just now, scudalarm said:

Would that mean any of the other Elantrians they placed in the Pool might have been invited to the Ire as well, (This is me grasping at straws hoping Saolin is alive in some shape or form)

Potentially, yes, but we won't know unless someone can get an answer out of Brandon or until the next Sel book comes out in a few years. Honestly, I wouldn't complain if Saolin was still alive, but it's very possible that Riino informed the guard at the Perpendicularity about the Reod and that he was only bared able to get into the pool in the first place, so the guard might not have been there by the time Saolin got stabbed, leaving Saolin in a bad situation in the Cognitive Realm.

Minor Way of Kings spoilers.

I haven't done a reread in awhile, but in one of the interludes for WOK, they're at the lake, and there are 3 people looking for Hoid. One of them is confirmed to be Galladon, Raoden's friend and guide from Elantris. I also believe that a WOB about perpindicularitys (sorry for bad spelling) revealed that the pool was whoever the shard on Sel's perpendicularlity.

11 hours ago, Books_Before_Death said:

Minor Way of Kings spoilers.

I haven't done a reread in awhile, but in one of the interludes for WOK, they're at the lake, and there are 3 people looking for Hoid. One of them is confirmed to be Galladon, Raoden's friend and guide from Elantris. I also believe that a WOB about perpindicularitys (sorry for bad spelling) revealed that the pool was whoever the shard on Sel's perpendicularlity.

Yes, the pool is Devotion's Perpendicularity.  

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, RubyHoid__11 said:

My theory is that for an elantrian to be made, one has to die, whether by the pool, decapitation, or burning

You don't have to die to become an Elantrian. I bolded the relevant line in the below WOB:

Khyrindor

You've said that Returned count as Cognitive shadows "stapled" back into their bodies, and that the Heralds are at least similar. Would I be right in assuming that Elantrians could be considered as Cognitive Shadows as well, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Brandon Sanderson

Elantrians are something different. They don't actually "die" to be created.

Recognize that the term cognitive shadow is an in-cosmere theory, which I'm not going to comment on as the creator of the setting. The theory is this:

Investiture seeks sapience. It looks for someone to control it or, in some instances, spontaneously adopts personality.

A mind (cognitive aspect of a person) can become infused with Investiture. This acts a little like minerals with petrified wood, replacing the mind and personality with investiture.

When the actual person dies, this investiture imprint remains behind. A copy of the soul, but not the actual soul.

Others disagree with this, and think the soul itself persists. Still others reject the theory in its entirety.

linkhyrule5

Huh.

... Kandra are almost literally stapled to their bodies with Hemalurgy - would they count as such, to the in-setting scholars?

Brandon Sanderson

No, they wouldn't. They are beings who have had their souls twisted by Hemalurgy--the soul never left, it's just been messed up. Someone else who has a soul stapled to a body with Hemalurgy would count though.

Stormlight Three Update #6 (Jan. 20, 2017)

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

I wonder if the Ire are all Cognitive shadows. As far as I know, we haven’t seen any of them outside of the CR.

They're Elantrians, who are not Cognitive Shadows. We know that Riino is one of them and he just transitioned from the Physical to the Cognitive in the same way that anyone else would when entering a Perpendicularity so there's no reason to assume he 'died' on the other side and became a shadow when what we already know fits the facts just fine. Between him and Secret History we see the Ire operating in the Cognitive 'zones' of two distant worlds, whereas we know it's difficult for Cognitive Shadows to get away from the system where they were originally from. Yes, we could hypothesize that they've all learned 'the trick' that lets them move freely but it requires fewer assumptions to just go with 'they're Elantrians, they simply prefer hanging out in the Cognitive'. Especially since in the circumstances they've been in, it's so much safer there. :D

Edited by Weltall

53 minutes ago, Weltall said:

They're Elantrians, who are not Cognitive Shadows. We know that Riino is one of them and he just transitioned from the Physical to the Cognitive in the same way that anyone else would when entering a Perpendicularity so there's no reason to assume he 'died' on the other side and became a shadow when what we already know fits the facts just fine. Between him and Secret History we see the Ire operating in the Cognitive 'zones' of two distant worlds, whereas we know it's difficult for Cognitive Shadows to get away from the system where they were originally from. Yes, we could hypothesize that they've all learned 'the trick' that lets them move freely but it requires fewer assumptions to just go with 'they're Elantrians, they simply prefer hanging out in the Cognitive'. Especially since in the circumstances they've been in, it's so much safer there. :D

I know they’re Elantrians. My thought was that they were Elantrians that had become Cognitive shadows.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a SHARDOOL ... Please keep it that way

"I don't get it," said Raoden. "Who put this up here? What does it mean, Dashe?"

"Some guy with a shock of white hair was seen hammering this into place, cackling that this won't translate but I don't care, then he just dove in and disappeared," Dashe replied with a shrug. "I guess we ought to keep a closer watch on this place, now that we know there are some kind of comings and goings related to it?"

Edited by robardin

• Chaos locked this topic