The Happy Inquisitor: A Restaurant

Lunamor

2 minutes ago, Part Of The Narrative said:

Kaladin sat for a moment, then realized he was staring at Ash. Storms. I'm still trying to analyze her, aren't I? She was going to get creeped out if he didn't watch it. He hurriedly looked down and ate a few bites of stew.

"Its good." Ash whispered, taking another bite. 

2 minutes ago, Just-A-Stick said:

Ash nodded and continued eating. 

Kaladin sighed, thinking. "When I came to the shattered plains, I was a slave. I was handed over to the bridge crews, where we ran out in front of the army during assaults and carried the bridges." He looked down, remembering. "People didn't survive the bridge crews as long as I did. No one survived the bridge crews."

Kaladin sighed, thinking. "When I came to the shattered plains, I was a slave. I was handed over to the bridge crews, where we ran out in front of the army during assaults and carried the bridges." He looked down, remembering. "People didn't survive the bridge crews as long as I did. No one survived the bridge crews."

Ash winced. "But you did." She said simply 

8 minutes ago, Just-A-Stick said:

"I do not like being hated." She mumbled. 

Kaladin smiled dryly. “I didn’t either. I needed them, if I wanted to escape. I tried to win them over. Conversation, songs…until I got Rock and Teft on my side. I still think it was Rock’s stew that did it.”

Just now, Part Of The Narrative said:

Kaladin smiled dryly. “I didn’t either. I needed them, if I wanted to escape. I tried to win them over. Conversation, songs…until I got Rock and Teft on my side. I still think it was Rock’s stew that did it.”

"It's good stew. But not that good." Ash was skeptical. 

1 minute ago, Just-A-Stick said:

"It's good stew. But not that good." Ash was skeptical. 

“It was more than the food. It was the connection. The people. The talking. The stew’s just what began it.” He eyed her slyly. “I thought it would be a good strategy for today, huh?”

“It was more than the food. It was the connection. The people. The talking. The stew’s just what began it.” He eyed her slyly. “I thought it would be a good strategy for today, huh?”

Ash shrugged. "Whatever." 

Kaladin shrugged. “It worked. More and more people started coming in. The crew became a community. We changed. All of us.”

"Change is a bad thing. It... hurts." Ash winced, setting her spoon down.

“Sometimes,” Kaladin admitted. “But…sometimes it’s good. I changed in the bridge crews.”

"And you're probably worse for it." She said shortly. 

Just now, Just-A-Stick said:

"And you're probably worse for it." She said shortly. 

Kaladin leaned over, holding her eyes with his. “Not mentally. 

“It was bad in the beginning. It took such a toll on me…don’t you get it? I was standing on that cliff. I was staring into the darkness, wondering how easy it would be to step off the edge. 
But now? Now I’m so much better than I was when I came to the plains. Of course it’s still a struggle, but my experiences changed me. The bridge crews changed me.”

Kaladin leaned over, holding her eyes with his. “Not mentally. 

“It was bad in the beginning. It took such a toll on me…don’t you get it? I was standing on that cliff. I was staring into the darkness, wondering how easy it would be to step off the edge. 
But now? Now I’m so much better than I was when I came to the plains. Of course it’s still a struggle, but my experiences changed me. The bridge crews changed me.”

"I want to go to that cliff... go over it." Ash deadpanned. 

Kaladin rested his elbow on the table, leaning his head against his hand. What could he say? That’d been him.

Ash took another bite of her soup, staring at the table.