The Happy Inquisitor: A Restaurant

Lunamor

21 hours ago, Lunamor said:

“…can I buy candles outside of the restaurant?”

Being a woman of your word was respectable, but in that case it was rather frustrating. He supposed that meant she genuinely would visit his restaurant again, however. Lunamor still wasn’t keen on the idea of waiting for that.

"I think I should finish telling the story, first." Javi turned and walked towards the entrance. "Thank you for the food."

4 minutes ago, WhyEverNot_8 said:

A strange man stumbles in, looking distracted. He has several bleeding gashes on his face and a hole in his right shoulder. He looks exhausted and angry. He mutters to himself “Rusting bandits, always making life so rusting hard.” Then he looks up and his face smooths into calmness. “Greetings, I’d like a bowl of your signature stew and a mug of… Horneater Lager? That sounds good. Also some bandages if you have them. What currency do you use here, Spheres, Coins, Shells?”

She walked up to the man. Whispering so no one else could hear, she told him, "Don't get a boot cake," then walked out.

1 hour ago, WhyEverNot_8 said:

A strange man stumbles in, looking distracted. He has several bleeding gashes on his face and a hole in his right shoulder. He looks exhausted and angry. He mutters to himself “Rusting bandits, always making life so rusting hard.” Then he looks up and his face smooths into calmness. “Greetings, I’d like a bowl of your signature stew and a mug of… Horneater Lager? That sounds good. Also some bandages if you have them. What currency do you use here, Spheres, Coins, Shells?”

Lunamor looked the man up and down, sighing. He wasn’t looking forwards to cleaning up more blood. He retrieved some of the emergency bandages he kept under the bar; people had been stabbed enough in his restaurant to warrant having them. He shuffled over and handed them to the man.

”Here things are paid for in stories. Boot cake is cake flavored like a boot. It uses real, all-natural boots.”

1 hour ago, Through The Living Glass said:

"I think I should finish telling the story, first." Javi turned and walked towards the entrance. "Thank you for the food."

“You are welcome.”

Hopefully the woman would return sometime soon.

“I see, thank you for the bandages, may I have some stew and one of these Horneater Lagers please? As I eat I will think of a story to tell.” he asks as he sits down and begins to bandage his wounds

1 hour ago, WhyEverNot_8 said:

“I see, thank you for the bandages, may I have some stew and one of these Horneater Lagers please? As I eat I will think of a story to tell.” he asks as he sits down and begins to bandage his wounds

Lunamor nodded and shuffled to the kitchen and back, fetching his order. The stew was scooped out of the large vat simmering in the center. He grabbed a spare rag in case the man’s blood ended up making a mess.

“Thank you sir.” The man says as he takes a bite of stew. “Harmony’s Forearms! This is some of the best stew I’ve ever tasted, just like my mother’s!” The man freezes and sits in stunned silence then quietly says “Thank you again… What was your name?”

5 minutes ago, WhyEverNot_8 said:

“Thank you sir.” The man says as he takes a bite of stew. “Harmony’s Forearms! This is some of the best stew I’ve ever tasted, just like my mother’s!” The man freezes and sits in stunned silence then quietly says “Thank you again… What was your name?”

Lunamor smiled with pride.

”My name is Numuhukumakiaki'aialunamor. You can call me Lunamor.”

The man had a strange curse. Perhaps he was one of those, what were they called, worldjumpers?

The man eyes Lucas, but speaks to Lunamor “Nice to meet you Numuhukumakiaki’aialunamor” *coughs* “I will definitely call you Lunamor, because that is a mouthful, although it is a very nice name.” The man looks back to Lunamor “You can call me Decard, I’m not supposed to be here and I hope somehow you can help me out. I simply need information about this place.” He takes a sip of the Horneater Lager and raises his eyebrows “That’s some good stuff right there, what’s in it?”

5 minutes ago, WhyEverNot_8 said:

The man eyes Lucas, but speaks to Lunamor “Nice to meet you Numuhukumakiaki’aialunamor” *coughs* “I will definitely call you Lunamor, because that is a mouthful, although it is a very nice name.” The man looks back to Lunamor “You can call me Decard, I’m not supposed to be here and I hope somehow you can help me out. I simply need information about this place.” He takes a sip of the Horneater Lager and raises his eyebrows “That’s some good stuff right there, what’s in it?”

Lunamor raised an eyebrow.

”It has distilled shell, it is why it tastes better than lowlander wines. What do you mean by information?”

Just when he thought that he had a regular customer, it turned out to be someone sketchy. Again.

“I simply want to know about the plants and animals, I am going to be here a while and I want to know what I can eat when I’m away from your masterful cooking.” The man looks around, “I’m gonna go to the bathroom and when I get back, I will tell you a story of the place I came from.” He stands and walks toward the restroom. (I’m going to assume that there is one here)

Edited by WhyEverNot_8
I added an action

53 minutes ago, WhyEverNot_8 said:

“I simply want to know about the plants and animals, I am going to be here a while and I want to know what I can eat when I’m away from your masterful cooking.” The man looks around, “I’m gonna go to the bathroom and when I get back, I will tell you a story of the place I came from.” He stands and walks toward the restroom. (I’m going to assume that there is one here)

“Okay?”

Was Declan planning to live in the wild? Street chouta was a very cheap option for survival. There wasn’t much to eat in the environment near Urithiru. It was on a rather rocky mountaintop.

I may be getting that completely wrong, I need to reread Stormlight :P

• 2 weeks later...

Geez I forgot to post the thing here, so here goes:

Decard emerges from the restroom several days later, he looks exhausted and he has several fresh cuts on his face. He pulls some strange-looking bandages from his shoulder bag and sticks them to his face, then pulls a metal flask of water from the bag and drinks deeply. Then he draws a book from his bag and clears his throat. “Here is my payment, my story, of where I came from, and those before me.” Then he drinks a bit more water and begins to speak. 

Spoiler

“It began for me with a strange group of pirates, they came to Decard’s home island, and began looking around, they mingled with the villagers and examined the piles of bodies that lay around the island. After some time, they discovered the door, and began trying to open it. When they eventually succeeded, they found Decard. The thing is, this wasn’t me, merely… the original. They fought him and those after him, then departed. Several went to their homes, one died to a sea monster on the way to her homeland, and one… he died in the battle with The Original, and was buried near his family.”

The man takes another draft of water, then continues.

Spoiler

“I am from the second Iteration of the being known as Decard, I lived with my father, and eventually my cousin, aunt and godfather. My cousin despised me because of an accident I caused, but gradually began to trust me. No, I am not going to tell you the accident, I try to forget that. We didn’t find out until later, but my cousin had been infected with a synthetic virus that helped her heal faster than a normal person. In this way it was much like stormlight here, except that it was slower acting and it wasn’t drawn from an external source. My cousin didn’t like the organization that had done it, and my family—excluding me, I was in a short coma for that time—had raided the organization’s main facility, and the family friend got killed. After that, my family went on to live relatively normal lives, but I… I was stupid. I experimented with the workings of the universe. I decided that, if my family could have seemingly magical powers of regeneration, why couldn’t I have powers of transportation, or some other fantastical power? So I experimented, and I got pulled out of the universe as I knew it, and discovered another. This is where the original Decard lived, and there was magic here, and powerful magic at that. Then I found the box, oh that damned box. I opened it and found a collection of papers detailing how one could time travel in this universe. But when I attempted to return to The Original, I used the wrong… spell? Ritual? I’m not sure what it was, but I ended up here, and have journeyed from planet to planet, trying to gather the supplies I need to get home. I have a most of them, I just need a power source and a way to channel it. That’s why I’m here on Roshar, I’ve heard of stormlight, and it sounds like the right power source.”

Decard coughs and takes yet another sip of water. Then leans back in his chair and begins to snore softly.

This is actually the story of two of our DND campaigns from different timelines (they all fall on a timeline, though some are on parallel timelines) that I merged. I used Decard as a name despite him being a villain because all of the party members hated him (mostly because he was the villain) and I couldn’t think of a name for my character in the later campaign. Obviously this is the super short version, but I think it sums it up well enough.

Edited by WhyEverNot_8
A party member reminded me that his character was Decard’s godfather, not merely a family friend

2 hours ago, WhyEverNot_8 said:

Geez I forgot to post the thing here, so here goes:

Decard emerges from the restroom several days later, he looks exhausted and he has several fresh cuts on his face. He pulls some strange-looking bandages from his shoulder bag and sticks them to his face, then pulls a metal flask of water from the bag and drinks deeply. Then he draws a book from his bag and clears his throat. “Here is my payment, my story, of where I came from, and those before me.” Then he drinks a bit more water and begins to speak. 

Hide contents

“It began for me with a strange group of pirates, they came to Decard’s home island, and began looking around, they mingled with the villagers and examined the piles of bodies that lay around the island. After some time, they discovered the door, and began trying to open it. When they eventually succeeded, they found Decard. The thing is, this wasn’t me, merely… the original. They fought him and those after him, then departed. Several went to their homes, one died to a sea monster on the way to her homeland, and one… he died in the battle with The Original, and was buried near his family.”

The man takes another draft of water, then continues.

Hide contents

“I am from the second Iteration of the being known as Decard, I lived with my father, and eventually my cousin, aunt and godfather. My cousin despised me because of an accident I caused, but gradually began to trust me. No, I am not going to tell you the accident, I try to forget that. We didn’t find out until later, but my cousin had been infected with a synthetic virus that helped her heal faster than a normal person. In this way it was much like stormlight here, except that it was slower acting and it wasn’t drawn from an external source. My cousin didn’t like the organization that had done it, and my family—excluding me, I was in a short coma for that time—had raided the organization’s main facility, and the family friend got killed. After that, my family went on to live relatively normal lives, but I… I was stupid. I experimented with the workings of the universe. I decided that, if my family could have seemingly magical powers of regeneration, why couldn’t I have powers of transportation, or some other fantastical power? So I experimented, and I got pulled out of the universe as I knew it, and discovered another. This is where the original Decard lived, and there was magic here, and powerful magic at that. Then I found the box, oh that damned box. I opened it and found a collection of papers detailing how one could time travel in this universe. But when I attempted to return to The Original, I used the wrong… spell? Ritual? I’m not sure what it was, but I ended up here, and have journeyed from planet to planet, trying to gather the supplies I need to get home. I have a most of them, I just need a power source and a way to channel it. That’s why I’m here on Roshar, I’ve heard of stormlight, and it sounds like the right power source.”

Decard coughs and takes yet another sip of water. Then leans back in his chair and begins to snore softly.

This is actually the story of two of our DND campaigns from different timelines (they all fall on a timeline, though some are on parallel timelines) that I merged. I used Decard as a name despite him being a villain because all of the party members hated him (mostly because he was the villain) and I couldn’t think of a name for my character in the later campaign. Obviously this is the super short version, but I think it sums it up well enough.

“This story, he is very good. I thank you for sharing him. Hopefully you will be able to find your way home soon.”

Lunamor was quite pleased with the last few stories he had received. While there had been many annoying customers and a weird amount of health inspectors, he had also heard interesting and exciting takes of adventure. It reminded him why he loved his restaurant so much.

”If you need stormlight, I can help. My friend Kaladin, he knows people with access to much of it.”

On 3/6/2024 at 3:19 PM, Lunamor said:

I may be getting that completely wrong, I need to reread Stormlight :P

Spoiler

Nah, I’m 90% sure you’re right that it is. I remember a conversation about how they weren’t able to grow crops and then they discovered the planters

• 3 weeks later...

A man entered the restaurant. He was grizzled, old and his black and silver uniform looked as if it had gone through a rose bush. He sat at the bar, a hand on the sword at his side. On his brow was a circlet with a jewel in it that had not before been seen on Roshar, or in this galaxy. Hanging from his shoulder was an instrument wrapped in a cloth that was sewn in strange patterns of strange colors. 

13 hours ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

A man entered the restaurant. He was grizzled, old and his black and silver uniform looked as if it had gone through a rose bush. He sat at the bar, a hand on the sword at his side. On his brow was a circlet with a jewel in it that had not before been seen on Roshar, or in this galaxy. Hanging from his shoulder was an instrument wrapped in a cloth that was sewn in strange patterns of strange colors. 

Lunamor excused himself from his current conversation, then walked over to the newcomer. He was wearing very strange clothes and had some sort of crown. Was he royalty? The man would’ve had guards if that was the case. Perhaps he was very confident royalty. Or the circlet was just befitting his odd attire. He couldn’t determine if the colors of the cloth he had wrapped around something clashed or not. This weirdness made him suspicious of the man; the unidentifiable object hanging from his shoulder didn’t help.

”Welcome to the Happy Inquisitor.”

1 minute ago, Lunamor said:

Lunamor excused himself from his current conversation, then walked over to the newcomer. He was wearing very strange clothes and had some sort of crown. Was he royalty? The man would’ve had guards if that was the case. Perhaps he was very confident royalty. Or the circlet was just befitting his odd attire. He couldn’t determine if the colors of the cloth he had wrapped around something clashed or not. This weirdness made him suspicious of the man; the unidentifiable object hanging from his shoulder didn’t help.

”Welcome to the Happy Inquisitor.”

The man raised a hand, giving a small semblance of a smile, “Do you keep any beer in this place?”

1 minute ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

The man raised a hand, giving a small semblance of a smile, “Do you keep any beer in this place?”

“Beer?”

Why did people keep asking for things Lunamor hadn’t heard of before? He scratched his head.

”This thing, we do not have him. Is he a type of stew?”

He was always happy to learn new recipes, provided they had a limited number of spikes.

1 minute ago, Lunamor said:

“Beer?”

Why did people keep asking for things Lunamor hadn’t heard of before? He scratched his head.

”This thing, we do not have him. Is he a type of stew?”

He was always happy to learn new recipes, provided they had a limited number of spikes.

The man smiled truly this time, "You could say it is, depending on who makes it. What sort of drinks do you have in this heck hole of a planet?" Quickly, he added, "No offense."

4 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

The man smiled truly this time, "You could say it is, depending on who makes it. What sort of drinks do you have in this heck hole of a planet?" Quickly, he added, "No offense."

“Eh, the lowlands are a heck hole. Urithiru isn’t lowland, but he is Alethi. He is basically the same. The Horneater Peaks, they are much better.”

Lunamor wasn’t about to offer any Horneater alcohol, however.

”We have all colors of wines as well many special cocktails and drinks.”

He gestured towards the glittering menu proudly displayed on the wall (the first post :P).

19 minutes ago, Lunamor said:

“Eh, the lowlands are a heck hole. Urithiru isn’t lowland, but he is Alethi. He is basically the same. The Horneater Peaks, they are much better.”

Lunamor wasn’t about to offer any Horneater alcohol, however.

”We have all colors of wines as well many special cocktails and drinks.”

He gestured towards the glittering menu proudly displayed on the wall (the first post :P).

“The place with the hot springs I keep hearing about? I could use me one of those… do you think I could take one with me when I leave this place?”

he looked at the menu and pondered over the options “I will take some chouta and the one called the pewter arm, if that’s alright.”

Just now, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

“The place with the hot springs I keep hearing about? I could use me one of those… do you think I could take one with me when I leave this place?”

he looked at the menu and pondered over the options “I will take some chouta and the one called the pewter arm, if that’s alright.”

“…they are craters in a mountain filled with water. I don’t think you can take one with you.”

But with all the new magic he kept hearing about, it very well might be possible.

”If you somehow are able to, do not take one. They belong to the Horneaters.”

Lunamor led the man over to a table, then disappeared into the kitchen to prepare his order. The smell of frying oil quickly wafted out. It was easy to tell when someone was making chouta.