The Happy Inquisitor: A Restaurant

Lunamor

4 hours ago, Lunamor said:

Lunamor gave a long, drawn out sigh. Great. Another traveling merchant here to hawk her wares. They didn't seem to have any shame. Airsick lowlanders had no respect for basic decency sometimes. He straightened his apron, fighting off a scowl. Lunamor walked stiffly over to the seller.

"This restaurant, he is not for selling wares. Only paying customers are allowed. You must buy stew or a drink. "

He crossed his arms.

"My patrons, they are not to be bothered with offers for overpriced candles."

john walks out of the kitchen. "ill take a bag."

1 hour ago, Through The Living Glass said:

Javi blinks at the tall, red-haired man standing above her without removing her hood.

"Mm, okay." She takes a quick look at the menu. "Could I get... a boot cake and an apple cider? Please?"

Lunamor nodded tersely. At least she was polite. He shot a glare in John’s direction, trying to silently chastise him for attempting to purchased goods from an intruding merchant.

@RoyalBeeMage

40 minutes ago, Lunamor said:

Lunamor nodded tersely. At least she was polite. He shot a glare in John’s direction, trying to silently chastise him for attempting to purchased goods from an intruding merchant.

@RoyalBeeMage

Roy nods after hearing the order and runs into the kitchen again. He grabs the supplies that he needs and heads back out. He hands them to Lunamor

1 minute ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

Roy nods after hearing the order and runs into the kitchen again. He grabs the supplies that he needs and heads back out. He hands them to Lunamor

Did he bring the food or the ingredients for it?

16 minutes ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

Kewl

Lunamor held the woman’s order, not placing it down quite yet. He peered under her hood, trying to get a good looked at her face, and attempted to see if she was actually carrying candles. 

“Before you eat, you must promise to not to hawk your wares in my establishment.”

He was tempted to simply ask her to leave, but he couldn’t turn down a paying customer.

@Through The Living Glass

4 hours ago, Lunamor said:

Lunamor held the woman’s order, not placing it down quite yet. He peered under her hood, trying to get a good looked at her face, and attempted to see if she was actually carrying candles. 

“Before you eat, you must promise to not to hawk your wares in my establishment.”

He was tempted to simply ask her to leave, but he couldn’t turn down a paying customer.

The, now 5 men, wave at them both. That's odd, you could have sworn there were 4.

3 hours ago, Argenti said:

The, now 5 men, wave at them both. That's odd, you could have sworn there were 4.

Javi waves back hesitantly. That's odd, she could have sworn there were four...

7 hours ago, Lunamor said:

Javi stared at the strange man, then thought for a moment.

"Alright, I promise not to hawk my wares in your establishment. How much for the food?"

5 hours ago, Argenti said:

Lunamor was now becoming slightly concerned. This health inspector, there was no way he had four twins. Perhaps it was some strange Lightweaver magic. He ignored their waves, instead glancing at them with a strange look.

2 hours ago, Through The Living Glass said:

Javi stared at the strange man, then thought for a moment.

"Alright, I promise not to hawk my wares in your establishment. How much for the food?"

He wasn’t sure if he believed her, but her promise was good enough.

”All orders cost one story.”

"A story? What kind of story? Do I have to tell it to you now? Does it have to be fake or real? How long does it have to be? Does it have to be about me or someone else? Does it have to be about a person at all? What about a group of people? A rock? A sock? A Stick? Could it be about you? What do you do with stories? What makes a story worth anything at all? What makes a story a story? Why do you want a story in exchange for food anyway? Don't you need money to keep your restaurant going? Why don't you make people pay normally?" She paused, and pulled a purple candle out of her sleeve.

"I could tell you a story about this candle, if you'd like."

4 hours ago, Through The Living Glass said:

2 hours ago, Lunamor said:

Lunamor was now becoming slightly concerned. This health inspector, there was no way he had four twins. Perhaps it was some strange Lightweaver magic. He ignored their waves, instead glancing at them with a strange look.

They all start chattering amongst themselves, on the subject of the aerobic capacity of the new South Natan breed of chull.

2 hours ago, Through The Living Glass said:

"A story? What kind of story? Do I have to tell it to you now? Does it have to be fake or real? How long does it have to be? Does it have to be about me or someone else? Does it have to be about a person at all? What about a group of people? A rock? A sock? A Stick? Could it be about you? What do you do with stories? What makes a story worth anything at all? What makes a story a story? Why do you want a story in exchange for food anyway? Don't you need money to keep your restaurant going? Why don't you make people pay normally?" She paused, and pulled a purple candle out of her sleeve.

"I could tell you a story about this candle, if you'd like."

“Yes. It can be any kind of story. You should tell it to me now. It can be fake or real. Length does not matter. It can be about anyone. It doesn’t have to be about a person. A group of people is fine. Sure. I guess. Weird, but okay. It can be about me. I listen to the stories. They are worth valuable knowledge and/or entertainment. A story is a description of something that happens. I like stories. I don’t need money, Kal gets Navani to pay for everything as a favor. I don’t make people pay normally because I like stories more than money.”

Lunamor eyed the candle. She was actually selling candles, at least. That meant she wasn’t some sort of sketchy firemoss dealer.

”I suppose that would be acceptable.”

He had told the woman that the story could be about anything, so one about a candle would have to do.

1 hour ago, Lunamor said:

“Yes. It can be any kind of story. You should tell it to me now. It can be fake or real. Length does not matter. It can be about anyone. It doesn’t have to be about a person. A group of people is fine. Sure. I guess. Weird, but okay. It can be about me. I listen to the stories. They are worth valuable knowledge and/or entertainment. A story is a description of something that happens. I like stories. I don’t need money, Kal gets Navani to pay for everything as a favor. I don’t make people pay normally because I like stories more than money.”

Lunamor eyed the candle. She was actually selling candles, at least. That meant she wasn’t some sort of sketchy firemoss dealer.

”I suppose that would be acceptable.”

He had told the woman that the story could be about anything, so one about a candle would have to do.

"Alright." She walked to the nearest table and took a seat. "Sit."

"Alright." She walked to the nearest table and took a seat. "Sit."

Lunamor did as she asked. It was probably going to be a long story, then. Impressive for one about a candle.

Spoiler

A bit longer, so I put it in a spoiler. Hehe. It's probably poorly written, but I had fun writing it. 😂

Spoiler
On 2/29/2024 at 4:50 PM, RoyalBeeMage said:

“Fine.” He replied and sat down 

"'Fine'? You're the one- nevermind."

On 2/29/2024 at 6:02 PM, Lunamor said:

Lunamor did as she asked. It was probably going to be a long story, then. Impressive for one about a candle.

Javi nodded to the tall man and the impolite man, and set three more candles in a row on the table, from shortest to tallest. The first was a pale yellow, the next a dark red, and the final a deep blue.

"I will tell you the story of Kahram." She used a miniature flint and steel, attached to the tips of her glove on her middle finger and thumb, to spark a small flame at the tip of the yellow candle. "This will be unlike anything you've ever experienced before," she told them as a thin ring of smoke puffed outwards from the fire.

"Once, in a land far, far away from here, there was a desert. This was no desert of sand, but a desert of parched rock and cracked earth; like your Shattered Plains, if the chasms were a few inches wide and deep."

The smoke wafted over both men, and Javi knew that they could now see what she was describing clear as day. Hopefully they weren't too freaked out.

"The sun beat upon this planet mercilessly. Anything that ventured too far south of the polar regions was swiftly burned away, leaving nothing but a column of ashes as the violent heat waves carried them skyward. No plant or animal could live in such conditions. However the poles, while still sweltering hot, provided ample opportunities for life to grow. And grow it did.

"Plants and animals survived in the relatively cooler conditions, finding water and food if they only dug into the soil deep enough. There were people, too. People who had built cities in the desert valleys, waystops around infrequent oases, or villages in the mountains. There was no kingdom in the mountains, but instead a collection of villages, not far from each other. The people here were better off than most people in the Valleys. Water was not easy to get, but the people in these villages had frequent rains, which they collected extra water from. It was certainly easier than having to dig deep, deep wells everywhere and not get any rain. Though it was easier to find water on the mountaintops, the people who lived there faced a constant threat from the people of the Valley, who wanted that water for themselves. I won't bore you with the wars they had, but suffice it to say, there were many.

"Save the occasion battle or two, life was good for people in the mountains! They worshiped the Spirits, and the Spirits blessed them with rain. Their crops grew steadily. They were happy.

"Then, one day, though the sky went dark, the rains didn't come.

"They didn't come the next day either.

"Or the next.

"In fact, though the clouds that came from the south were black and heavy, there was no water. Only ash rained down.

"The people began to panic. Surely these strange clouds were a curse sent by the Spirits! Only they could have created this! They had to find a way to get back into the good graces of their Gods! And so, the people turned to Kahram.

"Now, Kahram wasn't some great leader. He wasn't a shaman of any sort. He wasn't the strongest man, nor was he particularly skilled in much.

"But he was fast. In fact, it was a well known fact throughout the villages that Kahram was fastest runner they had ever had. His job was to run from town to town, warning people of an oncoming attack from the Valleys. They chose him simply because of his great speed and endurance.

"And so, leaving the hope of their entire people upon his shoulders, the people of the villages sent Kahram south. They provided him with food, water, and other necessities, but when asked if he wanted a guide to accompany him, he said simply: 'No, I will go alone.'"

Javi stopped, the pink candle now melted to a stub. She put it in a cup, then finally took the cake and drink from the red-haired man. "The first part of the story. It's short." She picked up the other candles.

52 minutes ago, Through The Living Glass said:
  Reveal hidden contents

A bit longer, so I put it in a spoiler. Hehe. It's probably poorly written, but I had fun writing it. 😂

Hide contents

"'Fine'? You're the one- nevermind."

Javi nodded to the tall man and the impolite man, and set three more candles in a row on the table, from shortest to tallest. The first was a pale yellow, the next a dark red, and the final a deep blue.

"I will tell you the story of Kahram." She used a miniature flint and steel, attached to the tips of her glove on her middle finger and thumb, to spark a small flame at the tip of the yellow candle. "This will be unlike anything you've ever experienced before," she told them as a thin ring of smoke puffed outwards from the fire.

"Once, in a land far, far away from here, there was a desert. This was no desert of sand, but a desert of parched rock and cracked earth; like your Shattered Plains, if the chasms were a few inches wide and deep."

The smoke wafted over both men, and Javi knew that they could now see what she was describing clear as day. Hopefully they weren't too freaked out.

"The sun beat upon this planet mercilessly. Anything that ventured too far south of the polar regions was swiftly burned away, leaving nothing but a column of ashes as the violent heat waves carried them skyward. No plant or animal could live in such conditions. However the poles, while still sweltering hot, provided ample opportunities for life to grow. And grow it did.

"Plants and animals survived in the relatively cooler conditions, finding water and food if they only dug into the soil deep enough. There were people, too. People who had built cities in the desert valleys, waystops around infrequent oases, or villages in the mountains. There was no kingdom in the mountains, but instead a collection of villages, not far from each other. The people here were better off than most people in the Valleys. Water was not easy to get, but the people in these villages had frequent rains, which they collected extra water from. It was certainly easier than having to dig deep, deep wells everywhere and not get any rain. Though it was easier to find water on the mountaintops, the people who lived there faced a constant threat from the people of the Valley, who wanted that water for themselves. I won't bore you with the wars they had, but suffice it to say, there were many.

"Save the occasion battle or two, life was good for people in the mountains! They worshiped the Spirits, and the Spirits blessed them with rain. Their crops grew steadily. They were happy.

"Then, one day, though the sky went dark, the rains didn't come.

"They didn't come the next day either.

"Or the next.

"In fact, though the clouds that came from the south were black and heavy, there was no water. Only ash rained down.

"The people began to panic. Surely these strange clouds were a curse sent by the Spirits! Only they could have created this! They had to find a way to get back into the good graces of their Gods! And so, the people turned to Kahram.

"Now, Kahram wasn't some great leader. He wasn't a shaman of any sort. He wasn't the strongest man, nor was he particularly skilled in much.

"But he was fast. In fact, it was a well known fact throughout the villages that Kahram was fastest runner they had ever had. His job was to run from town to town, warning people of an oncoming attack from the Valleys. They chose him simply because of his great speed and endurance.

"And so, leaving the hope of their entire people upon his shoulders, the people of the villages sent Kahram south. They provided him with food, water, and other necessities, but when asked if he wanted a guide to accompany him, he said simply: 'No, I will go alone.'"

Javi stopped, the pink candle now melted to a stub. She put it in a cup, then finally took the cake and drink from the red-haired man. "The first part of the story. It's short." She picked up the other candles.

Lunamor sat listening, enthralled by the story. He had seen lightweaving produce something similar before, but this was different somehow. When the woman declared that it was only the first part of the story, he was sucked back into the real world. Those candles, they were more than just candles.

”This story, he is very good. May I hear the rest of it? After you are done eating, perhaps?”

He paused for a moment, weighing his internal sense of principles against his curiosity. His curiosity won out.

”These candles, I will buy them if needed. You have already paid well for your food.”

Buying from a merchant who dared hawk their wares in his establishment would have been unthinkable a few minutes ago, but he greatly wanted to hear the rest of the tale.

12 hours ago, Lunamor said:

Lunamor sat listening, enthralled by the story. He had seen lightweaving produce something similar before, but this was different somehow. When the woman declared that it was only the first part of the story, he was sucked back into the real world. Those candles, they were more than just candles.

”This story, he is very good. May I hear the rest of it? After you are done eating, perhaps?”

He paused for a moment, weighing his internal sense of principles against his curiosity. His curiosity won out.

”These candles, I will buy them if needed. You have already paid well for your food.”

Buying from a merchant who dared hawk their wares in his establishment would have been unthinkable a few minutes ago, but he greatly wanted to hear the rest of the tale.

Javi took another bite of the cake. What an odd flavor...

"I'm sorry, I already promised not to sell my candles in your restaurant. I have never broken a promise, not for any reason, and I don't plan to start now." She finished her food and got up to leave. "I will return sometime, and tell you the rest of the story."

Javi took another bite of the cake. What an odd flavor...

"I'm sorry, I already promised not to sell my candles in your restaurant. I have never broken a promise, not for any reason, and I don't plan to start now." She finished her food and got up to leave. "I will return sometime, and tell you the rest of the story."

“…can I buy candles outside of the restaurant?”

Being a woman of your word was respectable, but in that case it was rather frustrating. He supposed that meant she genuinely would visit his restaurant again, however. Lunamor still wasn’t keen on the idea of waiting for that.

A strange man stumbles in, looking distracted. He has several bleeding gashes on his face and a hole in his right shoulder. He looks exhausted and angry. He mutters to himself “Rusting bandits, always making life so rusting hard.” Then he looks up and his face smooths into calmness. “Greetings, I’d like a bowl of your signature stew and a mug of… Horneater Lager? That sounds good. Also some bandages if you have them. What currency do you use here, Spheres, Coins, Shells?”

Edited by WhyEverNot_8
I changed his emotions.