How is Edgli not worried

On 2/6/2019 at 5:33 PM, Pathfinder said:

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]
I'll tell you this. They have not run into something like this before, and there will be ramifications of what happened there.

I wonder if this encounter with Nightblood spurred or inspired the creation of Jezrien's soul-death dagger.   Possible they've never used it in the past because it's actually new "tech" in their war.

12 hours ago, Zelly said:

I wonder if this encounter with Nightblood spurred or inspired the creation of Jezrien's soul-death dagger.   Possible they've never used it in the past because it's actually new "tech" in their war.

Interesting point. Nightblood could end up being a war of escalation.

3 hours ago, Wandering Investor said:

Possibly. Although the soul dagger is more akin to hemalurgy than to nightblood.

True, though the result is still the same. The investiture maintaining the entity is removed or destroyed resulting in permadeath. 

On 2/14/2019 at 10:41 AM, Pathfinder said:

Interesting point. Nightblood could end up being a war of escalation.

True, though the result is still the same. The investiture maintaining the entity is removed or destroyed resulting in permadeath. 

Only partially the same. The Nightblood method would end up with the investiture either trapped in the sword, or sent back to the spiritual realm. A hemalurgy method on the other hand would have the investiture that was ripped off still there for re-purposing. 

I think Edgli’s response is likely a shard’s natural hubris: why would she fear Odium? She feels she’s just as powerful as he and she won’t be taken by surprise. I doubt Nightblood was an invention made for the showdown with Odium; rather I think it’s coincidence. Well, its creation is coincidental for the Odium fight, anyway. Vasher may  have his own reasons for bringing Nightblood to Roshar. 

Edited by Bliev

On 2/16/2019 at 2:08 AM, Wandering Investor said:

Only partially the same. The Nightblood method would end up with the investiture either trapped in the sword, or sent back to the spiritual realm. A hemalurgy method on the other hand would have the investiture that was ripped off still there for re-purposing. 

Nightblood leaks "corrupted" investiture in the form of black smoke that he ate. Hemalurgy does not exactly have the investiture fully for re-purposing because there is an inherent loss of power just from spiking a person to begin with. Then the longer it is outside the person, or without being surrounded by blood or aluminum it continues to lose potency. So the full investiture is not all there for re-purposing. You are going to get a weaker effect. 

On 2/14/2019 at 10:41 AM, Pathfinder said:

Kind of. Trapping his soul in a gem so he can't reincarnate is different from what Nightblood did to that Thunderclast. That things investiture is so mulched up it can't be put back together, while Jezrien is still around in a way. For now, he's as good as dead.

If anything the Radiants trapping the Unmade in gems inspired the idea, but Odium didn't have a good way to trap them in a gem since they aren't spren. Nightblood showed him a way to get at the investiture and affixed a gem to trap it. Reflects poorly on Odium that he had thousands of years to think of a way to deal with the Heralds and it took Nightblood for him to think of something. Even now it sounds like Jezrien could come back in some form, if his soul is freed.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Moash killed a god? One of the Heralds?

He did. One of the Heralds. And trapped his soul so he couldn't be reborn.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

That's what it is. Trapped his soul, didn't actually kill him?

It's killed him...It was like, extra killed. The Heralds are bound to a cycle of rebirth that happens...that they wanted to make sure didn't happen that time.

Idaho Falls signing (Dec. 29, 2018)

45 minutes ago, Child of Hodor said:

Kind of. Trapping his soul in a gem so he can't reincarnate is different from what Nightblood did to that Thunderclast. That things investiture is so mulched up it can't be put back together, while Jezrien is still around in a way. For now, he's as good as dead.

If anything the Radiants trapping the Unmade in gems inspired the idea, but Odium didn't have a good way to trap them in a gem since they aren't spren. Nightblood showed him a way to get at the investiture and affixed a gem to trap it. Reflects poorly on Odium that he had thousands of years to think of a way to deal with the Heralds and it took Nightblood for him to think of something. Even now it sounds like Jezrien could come back in some form, if his soul is freed.

Eh, I disagree that Jezrien could come back. I take Brandon's comment of "extra killed" pretty literally. To me there is no way to get Jezerin back. 

21 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

Eh, I disagree that Jezrien could come back. I take Brandon's comment of "extra killed" pretty literally. To me there is no way to get Jezerin back. 

I've read the quote over and over.  And I can see it both ways.  The "extra killed" seems pretty definitive.  But, saying that his soul is trapped means that it hasn't gone Beyond.  And that seems to imply that if it can be released, we could see Jezrien again.  Whichever it is, I'm sure Brandon will provide a good explanation when it's necessary.

40 minutes ago, Lidolas said:

I've read the quote over and over.  And I can see it both ways.  The "extra killed" seems pretty definitive.  But, saying that his soul is trapped means that it hasn't gone Beyond.  And that seems to imply that if it can be released, we could see Jezrien again.  Whichever it is, I'm sure Brandon will provide a good explanation when it's necessary.

Very true. The way I read it was that it was Jezerien's cognitive shadow that was sucked into the blade. I think it was sucked in as a form of investiture which is why I think Jezerin couldn't be restored. But I say this I wholly admitting that is just my own reading of it, and it could just as easy be as you say. So guess RAFO! lol

Edited by Pathfinder

On 2/6/2019 at 5:53 PM, Gasper said:

Most likely. Why else would a shard let such a powerful weapon leave their planet.

1. Testing. She needs to know what happens, when it is used against various entities.
  2. Gathering ammo. Each user makes it stronger.

A couple of people have expressed the opinion that Edgli is overconfident and arrogant, rather than actually having some master plan. (Unfortunately I am finding it difficult to quote them a smartphone). Anyway, that was my impression of the letter in OB as well. She just doesn't take Hoid or Odium seriously.

However, I might be wrong about that. She does seem to have some kind of future sight. 

On 2/23/2019 at 8:01 AM, Oltux72 said:
  1. Testing. She needs to know what happens, when it is used against various entities.

This is what I've been thinking, Nightblood is on Roshar as a field test to see what he does against Odiums forces. Lets face it if you have a supper weapon you aren't going to wait until the enemy is a your door to find out if it actually works. Personally I can't wait to see what it'll do to an unmade. 

2 hours ago, Invocation said:

That's going to be interesting. I hope whoever next bonds Yelig-nar somehow gets ahold of Nightblood and then NB eats Yelig-nar.

I think the Unmade might be to heavily Invested for Nightblood to eat. They could have just tossed him into Nergaoul at the End of OB if he could. Actually that could be a good strategy for using Nightblood without getting eaten. Let Nergaoul leak out of the gem he's trapped in so Nightblood can eat that instead of your Stormlight. Also, Nightblood would look cool with an evil ruby attached to his hilt.

42 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

I think the Unmade might be to heavily Invested for Nightblood to eat.

Might not be able to eat them entirely, but it'd still do a chunk of damage.

43 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

They could have just tossed him into Nergaoul at the End of OB if he could.

Did anyone there except Zahel know that that was what it did enough to connect those dots, though?

43 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

Also, Nightblood would look cool with an evil ruby attached to his hilt.

You are correct.

On 2/28/2019 at 5:58 PM, SwordNimiForPresident said:

I think the Unmade might be to heavily Invested for Nightblood to eat.

not sure WOB is don't underestimate it's hunger

/r/books AMA 2015 (Aug. 1, 2015)
#1Aug. 1, 2015 Share  Copy

Rillum

Can't wait to see Nightblood in Roshar. Assuming he feeds on Stormlight rather than breath, he's going to be much "cheaper" to use. Loved the interactions with Vivenna.

Brandon Sanderson

Cheaper indeed. But don't underestimate his hunger.

Two things:

1. Edgli, as well as most other shards, know that Rayse is somehow trapped on the Rosharian system, and evidently believes that it will contain him.

2. In addition to this, Edgli has purposely splintered herself in order to create the Returned, and as Rayse's main method of destruction is splintering shards, perhaps she is somehow immune to Rayse's splintering

1 hour ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

In addition to this, Edgli has purposely splintered herself in order to create the Returned, and as Rayse's main method of destruction is splintering shards, perhaps she is somehow immune to Rayse's splintering

Creating a Splinter, and a shard having been Splintered are two very different things. 

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

Creating a Splinter, and a shard having been Splintered are two very different things. 

Indeed.  Per WOB, generic Honorspren would themselves qualify as Splinters of Honor

On 2/18/2019 at 6:20 PM, Subvisual Haze said:

She forget to remind herself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

How sincere is she? For all we know there is a coalition and Hoid just has secondary goals they do not approve of.

19 hours ago, Calderis said:

I agree, but I wonder how having avatars all over the Cosmere would play into a fight.  I have the thought that they act like Horcruxes.  If Odium is able to find one and kill/shatter it, the rest of the avatars will still be around and Edgli will be hurt but not killed/shattered.  That could be part of why she isn't concerned.