Alleyverse Character Discussion

MacThorstenson

7 minutes ago, Vargo Seldon said:

He doesn't actually have a high epic ability.  No automatic prime invincibility, just the ability to make himself incorporeal.  

A PI isn't the same thing as being a High Epic. Any defensive ability that can prevent most forms of damage is considered enough to make someone a High Epic. Prof's shields were stated to be enough to make him a High Epic, Nightwielder was also only incorporeal when he wanted to be, not automatically, and actually was considered to have a PI so even by that standard it's potentially enough.

Incorporeality is also pretty much a perfect defensive ability, in contrast to healers who can be killed if damaged quickly enough, or invincibles who can at least be trapped. It ranks very high in the scoring.

41 minutes ago, Vargo Seldon said:

Still, an Aes Sedai still has the power to compel their warders, as demonstrated by Moraine with Lan.  

It's demonstrated in the books that this only works if the Warders can't channel. If they are channelers compelling them with Warder bonds doesn't work.
(WoT spoilers):

Spoiler

It's specifically noted that Alanna's bond to Rand doesn't allow her to compel him, since she specifically bonded him to be able to keep him under control through this but found out it didn't work.

Later in the series (I think A Memory of Light) one of the Aes Sedai (Pevara?) who bonded a channeler from the Black Tower also noted this, telling her fellow Aes Sedai that they needed to use different methods to get the the Warder to do what they wanted him to do.

Also, even if this worked I don't think that an Aes Sedai can compel their Warder to follow their oaths. They might be able to command them not to do a specific thing, but I don't think they can command them not to attack anybody for the rest of their lives.

This would be different if an Oath Rod was used to make them swear the Oaths of course, but even in that case someone with Galvris' channeling ability can tie large groups of people up in Air, without them ever being able to do anything.

8 hours ago, Voidus said:

A PI isn't the same thing as being a High Epic. Any defensive ability that can prevent most forms of damage is considered enough to make someone a High Epic. Prof's shields were stated to be enough to make him a High Epic, Nightwielder was also only incorporeal when he wanted to be, not automatically, and actually was considered to have a PI so even by that standard it's potentially enough.

Incorporeality is also pretty much a perfect defensive ability, in contrast to healers who can be killed if damaged quickly enough, or invincibles who can at least be trapped. It ranks very high in the scoring.

Ahh, my mistake.  It's only strong enough to allow objects smaller than himself to pass through him.  He could still be crushed by something larger than himself, and this doesn't prevent fall damage.

7 hours ago, kenod said:

It's demonstrated in the books that this only works if the Warders can't channel. If they are channelers compelling them with Warder bonds doesn't work.
(WoT spoilers):

Reveal hidden contents

It's specifically noted that Alanna's bond to Rand doesn't allow her to compel him, since she specifically bonded him to be able to keep him under control through this but found out it didn't work.

Later in the series (I think A Memory of Light) one of the Aes Sedai (Pevara?) who bonded a channeler from the Black Tower also noted this, telling her fellow Aes Sedai that they needed to use different methods to get the the Warder to do what they wanted him to do.

Also, even if this worked I don't think that an Aes Sedai can compel their Warder to follow their oaths. They might be able to command them not to do a specific thing, but I don't think they can command them not to attack anybody for the rest of their lives.

This would be different if an Oath Rod was used to make them swear the Oaths of course, but even in that case someone with Galvris' channeling ability can tie large groups of people up in Air, without them ever being able to do anything.

Spoiler

Oh, I'm only on Crown of Swords.  I am past the part where Alanna bonded Rand, but I didn't realize he couldn't be compelled.

I'm going to have to nerf him, aren't I :(.

Edit:  @Voidus can you change Most Holy's name to Stormbreaker the fierce, god of protection?

Edited by Vargo Seldon

Ok so a bit of a call back because I was offline for most of spring break (camping is great).

So Sun’s rating was 170. I thought about what I could change to make him less powerful but without changing his concept, and  I was thinking of changing his intelligence from smart to average, thereby lowering his score to 155. Anyone have any suggestions for something to lower his score by five? Maybe something to add to his weaknesses?

16 hours ago, Sunbringer said:

Ok so a bit of a call back because I was offline for most of spring break (camping is great).

So Sun’s rating was 170. I thought about what I could change to make him less powerful but without changing his concept, and  I was thinking of changing his intelligence from smart to average, thereby lowering his score to 155. Anyone have any suggestions for something to lower his score by five? Maybe something to add to his weaknesses?

An old injury always works for me.

2 hours ago, Sunbringer said:

That might not work for him, since his power set includes physical enhancement and healing. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Doesn't have to be physical.

Also: Another character! His stuff is a little sparse, but that's just because he's not a very complicated person.

Spoiler

Name: Vrzani Qoulus

Physical Characteristics: Tall, grey skin, blue eyes, bald. 

Investiture: Koloss-blooded (+10), Copper Compounder (+110)

Skills: Reading

Equipment: Copperminds, multiple sets.

Weakness: Has a hard time getting his head out of his books, doesn't generally want to do anything except sit in a room and read, isn't the most intelligent, was Snapped into his A-Copper when he got mugged and beaten.

Family: All dead, unimportant.

Home Planet: Scadrial, Era 2

Backstory: Became the curator of an Elendel library after rejecting his spikes. Did that until he ended up in Alleycity. (He's not a complex person.)

Guild: None.

Personality: Always wants to learn.

Fighting Style: Doesn't fight.

Edited by Invocation

On 4/6/2019 at 11:27 PM, Invocation said:

Doesn't have to be physical.

Also: Another character! His stuff is a little sparse, but that's just because he's not a very complicated person.

Reveal hidden contents

Investiture: Koloss-blooded (+10), Copper Compounder (+110)

Weakness: Has a hard time getting his head out of his books, doesn't generally want to do anything except sit in a room and read, isn't the most intelligent, was Snapped into his A-Copper when he got mugged and beaten.

Backstory: Became the curator of an Elendel library after rejecting his spikes. Did that until he ended up in Alleycity. (He's not a complex person.)

Spoiler

Investiture: Koloss-blooded (+10) [yep], Copper Compounder (+110) [Ya got that one wrong Copper compounders are 100] 

Weakness: Has a hard time getting his head out of his books [-3], doesn't generally want to do anything except sit in a room and read, isn't the most intelligent, was Snapped into his A-Copper when he got mugged and beaten. [How does this affect him? Does he have a lasting injury?]

10 + 100 - 3 = 107 magic points

How does the mugging affect him? Is he injured?

And I would say that the weaknesses aren't enough. However, Mac might say otherwise. So you can take the chances when Mac comes or you can add a physical weakness.

@Invocation

Just now, beantheboy12 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Investiture: Koloss-blooded (+10) [yep], Copper Compounder (+110) [Ya got that one wrong Copper compounders are 100] 

Weakness: Has a hard time getting his head out of his books [-3], doesn't generally want to do anything except sit in a room and read, isn't the most intelligent, was Snapped into his A-Copper when he got mugged and beaten. [How does this affect him? Does he have a lasting injury?]

10 + 100 - 3 = 107 magic points

How does the mugging affect him? Is he injured?

And I would say that the weaknesses aren't enough. However, Mac might say otherwise. So you can take the chances when Mac comes or you can add a physical weakness.

@Invocation

It mostly makes him not go outdoors if he can avoid it. He's wary of anything that might put him in a position like that again.

1 minute ago, beantheboy12 said:

Oh, just saw his fighting style. I'd say yes he's fine. You sure you don't want scholarship or intelligence for your skill points?

He's not a very smart man. He just reads a lot, with no real goal to it, just reading so he can shove more books in his copperminds. Actual scholarship? Nah, that would suck the fun out of reading books.

15 hours ago, Arlin said:

This is where we are approving of new characters right? or are we still just PMing Archer 

This thread is for discussing characters, like if you want help with a backstory, the other character thread is where you submit completed bios. 

Archer has left the alleyverse, so don’t PM him with any character bios. 

24 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

Archer has left the alleyverse, so don’t PM him with any character bios. 

Archer might come back, but as a regular player, and only participate in a few things.

This is the result of a discord discussion, could be wrong.

Just now, ZincAboutIt said:

@Sorana I didn't realize you had a character named Vivi already, I'm more than happy to just have my new character go by her full name, it wouldn't be contrary to her character and I love the full name Vivica anyway so :P 

I don't. Not officially. So go ahead :)

I wanted to call her Vivacia, and shortened that to Vivi in my head. But she won't appear until era 4, so I can always think of another name :lol:

Just now, Sorana said:

I don't. Not officially. So go ahead :)

I wanted to call her Vivacia, and shortened that to Vivi in my head. But she won't appear until era 4, so I can always think of another name :lol:

We are on some kind of shared wavelength with our character names. Lena, Lita, Vivica, Vivacia....

Just now, ZincAboutIt said:

We are on some kind of shared wavelength with our character names. Lena, Lita, Vivica, Vivacia....

:lol:

We are. Good taste.

Vivacia is taken from the same book, as Althea. (Liveship traders by Robin Hoob).