"Have you seen me?" [Spoilers]

Benedictify

I'm now on my third trip through the Stormlight books, I realized that on the night of Gavilar's assassination, at the party, Szeth walks by an old man he thinks is drunk...

But it's actually Jezrien himself!!!!!!! He says the same thing at the end of Oathbringer before Moash kills him. 

An Easter-egg across 3 books... nice

Edited by Benedictify

23 minutes ago, Benedictify said:

I'm now on my third trip through the Stormlight books, I realized that on the night of Gavilar's assassination, at the party, Szeth walks by an old man he thinks is drunk...

But it's actually Jezrien himself!!!!!!! He says the same thing at the end of Oathbringer before Moash kills him. 

An Easter-egg across 3 books... nice

As @Inky said several heralds were present at the time.

10 minutes ago, Inky said:

There was more than one Herald at that party ;)

Indeed there were perhaps more than are immediately apparent.

Edited by Nathrangking

4 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

As @Inky said several heralds were present at the time.

Indeed there was perhaps more than are immediately apparent.

Maybe all 9 were in or around Kholinar that day. Seems like there were at least 5 depending on who you think Liss is. 

“Have you seen me?” 

“No.” 

Brutal

Just now, Child of Hodor said:

Maybe all 9 were in or around Kholinar that day. Seems like there were at least 5 depending on who you think Liss is. 

“Have you seen me?” 

“No.” 

Brutal

Unfortunately, Rayse did!!

What does it mean?  Is he enjoying the irony of being the greatest person who has ever lived and a complete drunk?  Is he just nuts?

As to the Heralds I am pretty sure Nale and Kelek were there (Jasnah's flashback) and we know that Jezrien was there too.  Shallash was there recently per the destroyed statue.  Do you all think that there were others present and if so how and why and how many were aware of each other?

Edited by Karger

42 minutes ago, Karger said:

What does it mean?  Is he enjoying the irony of being the greatest person who has ever lived and a complete drunk?  Is he just nuts?

As to the Heralds I am pretty sure Nale and Kelek were there (Jasnah's flashback) and we know that Jezrien was there too.  Shallash was there recently per the destroyed statue.  Do you all think that there were others present and if so how and why and how many were aware of each other?

He's just nuts. 

I'd be willing to be the majority of them were there, honestly. 

1 hour ago, Karger said:

Do you all think that there were others present and if so how and why and how many were aware of each other?

One theory that @Child of Hodor alludes to is that Liss is actually Chanarach. There's not too much to go on except that she seems to be a very unique character and was present on the night of the assassination like many of the other Heralds. Plus, her current occupation could be a corruption of the Dustbringer attributes, Obedience and Bravery. After all, assassinating people in the dark rather than facing them on the battlefield could be considered cowardly, and obeying the highest bidder is extremely different than obeying somebody because you trust and support them. It's hard to say though considering how little we know about the Dustbringers.

5 hours ago, Karger said:

Jasnah now has real pictures of the Heralds I think she would notice if one of them matched an assassin that she had employed for years.

That severely underestimates the ability of good old fashioned makeup and disguise. 

Liss changes accents frequently. She's an Assassin so probably works undercover frequently. Why would she look anything like her real self? No powers needed. Just clothes and makeup. 

A good point except why would she bother?  The only depictions of Heralds are woefully inaccurate due to the cultural and changes they have undergone in the past 4500 years.  I also have a hard time believing that Jasnah would employ an assassin who she knows nothing about on a regular basis or would allow said assassin to disguise herself.

21 minutes ago, Karger said:

A good point except why would she bother?  The only depictions of Heralds are woefully inaccurate due to the cultural and changes they have undergone in the past 4500 years.  I also have a hard time believing that Jasnah would employ an assassin who she knows nothing about on a regular basis or would allow said assassin to disguise herself.

Because she's not trying to hide that she's a Herald, she's hiding her appearance like any regular Assassin would so that she can function without wing recognized by both targets and employers.

A good Assassin should be able to be in the same room as someone she's worked for before and not be recognized. 

I think that's true of Liss regardless of if she is or isn't Chana. 

Edited by Calderis

What about my second point?  Do you realy think that Jasnah would allow Liss anywhere near a member of her family without knowing exactly what she looks like and how did Liss miss the fact that one of her slaves had an Honorblade? 

45 minutes ago, Karger said:

What about my second point?  Do you really think that Jasnah would allow Liss anywhere near a member of her family without knowing exactly what she looks like and how did Liss miss the fact that one of her slaves had an Honorblade? 

She pays her extremely well she would trust the money to keep Liss loyal. What makes you think that she missed that fact? 

20 minutes ago, Karger said:

True but I can't help but doubt that.

Why? Kalak seemed to care, but Nale didn't. Szeth wouldn't have summoned the blade unless the right questions were asked, and if the blade is somehow detectable to the Heralds we see him go right past Jezrien with no reaction beyond his typical. Which is why there's speculation that Nale and Kalak were somehow responsible for Szeth getting to the listeners in the first place. 

As to this... 

1 hour ago, Karger said:

What about my second point?  Do you realy think that Jasnah would allow Liss anywhere near a member of her family without knowing exactly what she looks like

Yes. When your dealing with Assassins who kill in secret rather than what Szeth did, there are risks. One of which would be, is the woman that Jasnah is meeting with even the one doing the killings in the first place? 

Jasnah is amazing, but she's not all knowing. 

Edited by Calderis

3 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Jasnah is amazing, but she's not all knowing. 

No but she is extraordinarily competent and she can't stand not knowing something.  I seriously doubt that Jasnah would higher someone she could not easily identify and track down in the event of betrayal.

Edited by Karger

3 minutes ago, Karger said:

No but she is extraordinarily competent and she can't stand not knowing something.  I seriously doubt that Jasnah would higher someone she could not easily identify and track down in the event of betrayal.

And I think in setting such a limitation she would be limiting her choices to incompetent employees. 

Just now, Calderis said:

And I think in setting such a limitation she would be limiting her choices to incompetent employees. 

It would be a balancing act but the effects of a betrayal is much worse then a botched assassination attempt.

• Chaos locked this topic